When I try to upgrade to newest version IPW from 3.6.5. the new app asks for an old password.

daggo
daggo
Community Member

After a few attempts the updated app gives me a hint for an old password that has been obsolete for years and that I can't remember. There doesn't seem to be an option to change the password.
I've encountered this problem before and I then deleted 1PW on my laptop but kept it on my iPad.

1Password Version: 3.6.5 to newest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox (disabled)
Referrer: forum-search:When I try to upgrade to newest version IPW from 3.6.5. the new app asks for an old password.

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @daggo

Thanks for taking the time to contact us about the trouble you're experiencing

I'm seeing two possible things happening based on what you're saying, hopefully I'll have good advice for each :)

First, if you have data in 1Password 3.6.5 and installed version 6 and are trying to migrate your old data from version 3 to version 6, it does require the old master password. You can't change that one without knowing the old password.

In this case your only option would be to manually move the data from version 3 to version 6 (just setup version 6 with a new vault and you can use a master password you create then and there), that would be a fairly time consuming task, depending on how many items you have. If this is the case, do you by chance know the PIN code that you used in version 3?

The second scenario is that you once setup version 6 and used an old password but you no longer remember. If that is the case, simply remove the app (tap and hold on the icon until it jiggles, it'll have a "x" button you can press to remove the app) then reinstall from the App Store. This will allow you to setup version 6 fresh. Please note that this would mean all the data that is contained in version 6 is lost but if you don't remember the master password, odds are it was lost anyway.

Let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions :)

• daggo
    daggo
    Community Member

Okay I got 1PW 6 on my ipad and mac installed and synced. However I can't import the backup file that I created. I tried changing the extension to .1pt3import but then the file appears grayed out when I try to import it to the laptop 1PW app. When I change the extension back to .1ptbackup it's not greyed out - it says it's importing it but the little ball just whirls. Same when I change the extension to .1pif.
    Please advise. Thanks.

• @daggo,

You should be importing the data into 1Password 6 for iOS, not 1Password on your laptop. We have instructions here:

How do I upgrade from 1Password 3 on iOS?

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.