Multiple copies of 1Password app installed / Long pause before 1Password works

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
edited May 2016 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Mac Spinning Wheel -1 Password 4 Won't Open on Mavericks 10.9.5.

Comments

• wkirish
    wkirish
    Community Member

Sure would be nice to see the final verdict on this topic... As at least one other user reported, I also have two versions of 1Password now and without exception, there is a long, long pause and the always pleasant Apple spinning pinwheel before the program finally lets me use the data stored for a signin. I like the program, but this eternal problem is quite annoying.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkirish,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password! The OP from the previous thread was running into a problem with an older version of 1Password on an older operating system, and may have been related to a very specific setup. Although you're seeing similar symptoms, I think there's a very good chance you're running into a completely different issue, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

To help us figure out exactly what's going on with 1Password on your Mac, we'll need to know a few more details about your setup and about the problem you're experiencing:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version of 1Password?
    • Does the problem happen in the main 1Password app or in the 1Password extension / 1Password mini?
    • If the problem happens with the 1Password extension, what web browser (and version) are you using, and what exact version of the 1Password extension is installed in that browser?
    • When exactly does the delay/pause happen? For example, are you getting the spinning pinwheel right after entering your master password to unlock 1Password?
    • If you reboot your Mac, do you still have the same problem, or does it seem to work better?
    • After the delay, does it seem to work correctly? If so, when does the problem come back again?
    • You said you "have two versions of 1Password". Can you elaborate on what you mean? Are you saying you have two different versions of the 1Password app installed on your Mac at the same time?

Thanks in advance! :)

• wkirish
    wkirish
    Community Member

I'll make comment to each of your bullet points one by one and in order:
    1. OS x 10.11.4

1. As I pen this, the Mac Apple store just notified me of update 6.2.1, so I'm installing that.

2. There are two 1Password apps itemized in my Mac's Application's list: one reads obtained from Apple, the other from AgileBits.

3. I'm totally confused knowing which "version" of AgileBits I'm using, the "mini" or "...", or... So, I'll answer this way: When I am in website, I click on 1Password in the menu bar up top. It more often than not, immediately shows me the spinning pinwheel, BUT, eventually will allow me to click on the appropriate login and wham, all goes smoothly from there. I do not recall this being the case when I first installed your app, i.e., only more recently has this been acting up like this. There is a fairly significant delay here. I do periodically get the Chrome extension problem "memo", but not each and every time. You'll have to figure out why that should be the case. I do have Safari installed, obviously, but I haven't tried to replicate the problem using it - I just am used to Chrome and 99.9% of the time it's my browser of choice.

4. Chrome version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) and the extension # is: 4.5.5.90

5. I think I answered that as best I can in #4.

6. I have tried rebooting my Mac, I've tried shutting down all the apps, including yours, the end result of which is no improvement, no discernible change in modus operendi.

7. As above, once the spinning pinwheel eventually stops, I can proceed with selecting the proper URL, if it isn't already selected for me by your app.

8. As above, all I know is there are two apps showing in my Application's listing. One reads: 1Password, the other 1Password6. I don't have a clue as to which one is actually functioning and maybe it doesn't even matter. I do, however, find it strange that 2 are shown.

I hope that provides answers to most of your questions, though there is some spillover and disjointed ones in there, but you should be able to sort them all out.

WK Irish

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkirish,

Thank you for all the information! It sounds like there are actually a couple different problems: one is that you're experiencing a delay when trying to unlock and/or use 1Password mini, and the other is that you have two different 1Password apps installed on your Mac. We'll be happy to help you with both of those!

First, the delay when trying to use 1Password mini might be part of a known issue our developers have been working on. We posted an announcement about this which will explain more about that: Experiencing slow unlock issues with 1Password 6? Please read this.

As that post says, there are actually a couple different issues which might be causing that to happen, but fortunately we think our latest beta version included a fix for the one that affects most people who are experiencing the delay. If you don't feel comfortable switching to a beta version, you can try a workaround, which is to restart 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. That should help, although the problem might return after several days. We hope to include the fix for this issue in a stable release as soon as possible.

Next, it sounds like you have both the Mac App Store version and the AgileBits Store version of 1Password installed in the Applications folder:

• 1Password - This is the Mac App Store version. Because it's installed, that means you must have purchased it from the Mac App Store at some point.
    • 1Password 6 - This is the AgileBits Store version. You must have downloaded this from our website at one point, perhaps thinking it was an update for the Mac App Store version (but it's actually a separate app). It would have automatically activated itself after seeing that the Mac App Store version was also installed.

Having both versions installed at the same time can cause a lot of confusion because they each store data in separate locations on your Mac. Therefore, it's possible that each one has some data the other one doesn't have. To avoid confusion, you'll want to keep one and remove the other - but before you do that, you'll need to figure out if either one has data the other one is missing. To do that, just open each one and compare the data.

Please let us know how it all goes and if one of the apps has all your latest data, or if each one has data the other is missing. Once we know that, we'll be able to give you the right steps to get this all sorted out. Thanks! :)

• allanplatt
    allanplatt
    Community Member

I am have a devilishly hard time with this as well. Here is my configuration:

1Password 6: Version 6.2.1 (621002)
    Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.4
    Version 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit) (Chrome is up to date)

Unlike the client above, I have only one version of 1Password6 on my Mac. I believe it came from the website directly, log ago, and has been updating regularly by prompting me.

Please let me know how to fix this.
    Thanks,
    Allan

• Hi @allanplatt ,

We are testing a fix for this with good results. It is available on the beta releases and we hope to officially release it soon. If you wish to download the beta to try it out, you can do so by going to the 1Password Preferences, click on Update, and check "Include Beta Builds" - and check for updates.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.