Login

Options
gandriollo
gandriollo
Community Member

Hi guys,

I was using 1password6 on my work laptop and my work cellphone. I recently changed jobs and I turned in both devices without doing a backup of 1passsword6 to later use in another device as I thought it would sync automatically.
Now I'm installling 1pass on a new computer and I thought I had sync with my icloud account, as I check my dropbox and nothing. But when I login to icloud and get to input my master password to open vault I get this error : "Failed to unlock. Cannot locate keychain with the specified identifier".
I'm dying here as I have everything in 1pass.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Gabriel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @gandriollo! I'm sorry for the trouble with iCloud. First, let's check to make sure 1Password data is actually in iCloud. Launch System Preferences on your Mac, click iCloud, and click Manage. Check for 1Password in the list. If you don't see it, your data is not stored in iCloud and I'd recommend looking for it elsewhere. If you do see it, we'll need to get a better idea of what the issue is. Could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac? This knowledge base article explains how: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• gandriollo
    gandriollo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @penderworth. Appreciated. However, as I stated before, unfortunately I don't have the original Mac with me anymore. So I cannot access iCloud preferences. :( The Mac I have now and in which I'm trying to install the app again is new and different from the previous one where I used to have the 1password in. Do you still need me to perform the DR? - thanks!
    -G

• Jacob
    Options

@gandriollo You actually don't need the original Mac to access iCloud preferences. You just need to sign in to the same iCloud account on your new Mac. If you don't have access to that account anymore, that's a different case, but you should be able to sync your existing data so long as you are signed in with the correct iCloud account.

• gandriollo
    gandriollo
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth ohh, cool. Just did that and you were right. It's not in there... I'll have to look for it somewhere else.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gandriollo,

Just to make sure we understand: On the Mac you're using now, you signed into the same iCloud account / Apple ID as the one you used on your work laptop (and your work phone), but when you launch System Preferences and go to iCloud > Manage, 1Password isn't listed there?

• gandriollo
    gandriollo
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Yes, so apparently then I'm guessing I didn't back it up on iCloud, right?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gandriollo,

That's correct - unfortunately it sounds like you hadn't been using the iCloud Sync feature in 1Password for Mac or iOS.

However, if you had the same 1Password data on both your work laptop and work phone, it sounds like you were using one of the sync options. Depending on which option you had been using, you might still be able to get your data. If you had been using Wi-Fi Sync, you data would only have existed on your work laptop and work phone, so that won't help. However, if you were using Dropbox Sync, and if you still have access to the Dropbox account you were using for that, the sync file containing your data should still be there.

You said you didn't find anything in your Dropbox account, but perhaps you missed it? The sync file would have a ".agilekeychain" or ".opvault" extension (for example: 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault). It could technically be located anywhere within your Dropbox account, but here are the most common locations:

• Dropbox/Apps/1Password/
    • Dropbox/1Password/
    • Dropbox/

If you look everywhere in your Dropbox folder but cannot find a sync file for 1Password, it sounds like you hadn't been using Dropbox sync.

Does any of this help?

• gandriollo
    gandriollo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG !!!! Unfortunately, I think we are in the first scenario: Wi-fi Sync. I looked all over with no luck. I can rebuild the password databank if needed, however can I still keep the license I bought?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry to hear that is the case, @gandriollo, but the good news is that you can absolutely use your existing license. We wouldn't want to add insult to injury.

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can help with. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.