restoring from backup fails and crashes the app

Options
movetolearn2013
movetolearn2013
Community Member

I am currently using 1Password 6.2.1 – have been using 1Password without issue since 2008 - I use it on Mac and iPhone

In February this year I saved a PIN for a new bank card together with the bank card info but it has disappeared - my bank now wants to charge me for a replacement card

I think maybe I deleted the entry by mistake as I did a sync that duplicated a lot of entries - I do backup via

my problem is that I am trying to recover the info from a backup that I made when I know for sure the info was in place BUT whenever I try to restore from the backup it crashes the app

I have tried to boot from a OS backup - and restore from the backup file "1Password 2016-02-25 11_26_00 (1 profiles, 493 items, 22 folders, 18 attachments).1p4_zip"

I have tried to create a new Vault an import the data

in both cases the app crashes immediately I am asked to confirm I want to restore the data

what to do?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: macOS 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @movetolearn2013,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble restoring 1Password from a backup!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you going to File > Restore in the main 1Password app, selecting one of the backups listed there, and then clicking the Restore button? If so, is that the exact point at which it crashes? When that happens, do you see the crash report window appear?

Also, you said this happens with a specific 1Password backup file. Out of curiosity, have you tried restoring from any other backups in 1Password? If so, do they also cause a crash, or do they work? This should at least help us figure out if the problem is with a specific backup file, or a problem with the restore process in general.

I have tried to create a new Vault an import the data

I'm not sure if I understand how you tried to do that - would you mind elaborating? What are the exact steps you took in order to do that, and what happened when you tried?

in both cases the app crashes immediately I am asked to confirm I want to restore the data

Again, I'm hoping you can clarify what you mean here - are you saying it asks you to confirm you want to restore after the app has already crashed? Please walk us through exactly what you do and what happens when you do it. Once we understand what you're seeing on your end, we should have a better idea how to go about solving this. Thanks in advance! :)

• movetolearn2013
    movetolearn2013
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

yes - File>Restore brings up box that allows me to select which backup to restore from - I click "Restore" - I get a "Restore Backup? Are you sure ... " dialogue box - clicking the "Restore" button there causes an immediate crash - no crash report window - happens every time

and it happens with every different backup file I tried - there are 34 backups spanning five months - have tried restoring from five of them scattered throughout the range, including backing up from one I made today - same result every time

first thing I tried was to make a backup today so I had something to go back to - then I tried to restore the backup I want from mid-February - crashes

second thing I tried was to create a fresh vault and restore into that - also crashes

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @movetolearn2013! I actually don't think 1Password is crashing at all - from what you've described, it sounds like 1Password is behaving exactly as it says it will in this message:

That's the message you should see when clicking the Restore button, and it says 1Password will exit and that you'll need to restart it manually (for example, by double-clicking the 1Password app in the Applications folder). That's necessary in order for your older data to be restored. After restoring from a backup, have you opened 1Password and unlocked it with your master password?

Try restoring from that mid-February backup again, and then open & unlock 1Password. You should be able to find the data you're looking for, as long as it was part of that backup.

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• movetolearn2013
    movetolearn2013
    Community Member
    Options

ok - thanks - that did it!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great, I'm glad to hear it's working correctly! Thanks for confirming that. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.