Now that I can't open 1PW from Dropbox, how do I access my data from a remote location?

Options

I understand that using the html file on Dropbox no longer allows access to 1PW files. I get an error message when I try. Right now I have 1PW on a single computer. Is there another way to access my files from another device?
Also, I need to move my 1PW account to a new computer. Can I download 1PW on a trial basis on my new computer and use my existing license key?
Finally, I have copied the agilebitskeychain file from my current computer to a USB drive. If I copy that file to my new computer, will that transfer all the data files?

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:sync-options, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:sync-options, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:sync-options

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Robertbgold,

Right now I have 1PW on a single computer. Is there another way to access my files from another device?

You can still use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data between devices, even if you can't use the HTML file in your browser. When you set up 1Password on a new device, you will have a chance to connect to your Dropbox account and sync with your data.

Also, I need to move my 1PW account to a new computer. Can I download 1PW on a trial basis on my new computer and use my existing license key?

We don't keep track of how many devices you install 1Password on. You can download 1Password and use your license in both computers at a time if you want to.

Finally, I have copied the agilebitskeychain file from my current computer to a USB drive. If I copy that file to my new computer, will that transfer all the data files?

Given that you've already been using Dropbox, the easiest way to get all your data is to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password on your new computer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! :chuffed:

• Robertbgold
    Robertbgold
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Pilar,

I know this sounds lame, but even though I have been copying my 1PW files to Dropbox, I have never been able to open them on another computer. I always get an error message:

Problem loading 1Password data file
    A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.
    Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

That's why I have always opened 1PW remotely from my browser using Dropbox.

I suspect there is some basic step I am missing. Any suggestions?

• You're missing the fact that you're allowed to use your existing 1Password for Windows licence to install 1Password on any and all computers you own or control, that includes PCs at work.

Once you've installed 1Password on the PC in question (you can download it here), simply register it with your existing licence key, and when you run it for the first time, 1Password will ask you whether you've used 1Password before.
    Since that's the case, and you probably have your 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault file stored in your Dropbox account, you can simply point 1Password at the file, unlock the vault with your master password and use it the way your used to on your other PC.

I hope this helps.
    Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.