Sync

Options
dnmax
dnmax
Community Member

I'm new to 1password and before buying it testing trial version and i cant figure out some basic sync questions
Example
1. Database A on USB and Database B located in windows pc. How to sync,update,merge?

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dnmax,

I'm glad to hear you're interested in 1Password. Besides your Windows PC, what other device would you like to use 1Password with? You can sync your data via Dropbox or Wi-Fi, you can read about it here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/.

I'm not sure how you would like to use the USB, can you please tell me more about it? You can't use 1Password from a USB, the files need to be in your device.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with :chuffed:

• dnmax
    dnmax
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I only consider the synchronization options.
    I like that the database is stored locally, and read and understand how sync works through Dropbox.
    But I plan to use 1Password, not only for online resources, but also of local resources and access to the Internet will be limited and also I consider that I will not have an opportunity to install Dropbox PC client

So
    1. Why Dropbox? In same way i can use Google Drive, OneDrive etc. because anyway in all cases you need to install PC client for this services.
    2. It does not matter how, but just imagine you have 2 vaults, home.agilekeychain and offline.agilekeychain. How you can sync them or merge.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dnmax,

I'm sorry if this wasn't clear enough before. If you decide to use Dropbox syncing the information will still be stored in your computer. You would always be able to use 1Password offline. When you set up Dropbox syncing you don't move your database there, but create a copy in Dropbox that gets updated (synced) without any extra effort from your part. If you want to use your computer offline, you can access and modify your data and create new entries on your hard drive. When you eventually connect back to Wi-Fi all the changes will get automatically updated to Dropbox and other devices you're using 1Password with. The main problem would be if you can't install Dropbox on your PC.

Dropbox was chosen to allow people sync their devices because it is free, easily available for all platforms, a lot of people already have an account and it's reliable.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or anything else I can help you with :chuffed:

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @dnmax,

Just to expand on Pilar's post:

Dropbox is not an always-online drive, it syncs a local copy of the Dropbox folder on your local drive and then monitor it for changes to sync with the same folder on its server, which it then syncs to the rest of the devices you have linked with your Dropbox account. It works fine offline and will handle the sync properly when you go back online.

We use Dropbox because back then, Dropbox was available on all platforms that 1Password is also available on. Right now, you can use OneDrive or Google Drive to sync your 1Password folder between computers but that's not an option on the iOS platform as we are limited to the APIs we must built into our iOS app. Unlike the desktop, iOS apps are sandboxed to its own container and can't sync with files from the sync clients installed on the same device. For the moment, our 1Password for iOS only uses Dropbox, iCloud and Wi-Fi in addition to 1Password for Families.

For Android, we support Folder Sync, so you could use other sync clients, download the files onto the device's local storage and ask 1Password to monitor that folder.

It does not matter how, but just imagine you have 2 vaults, home.agilekeychain and offline.agilekeychain. How you can sync them or merge.

If we're talking about two separate vaults you've created in 1Password and not two copies of the same vault, please do not merge or sync them as the same vault. They're encrypted differently even if you're reusing the same password (you shouldn't do this). Merging them will result into a broken vault.

To sync two separate vaults, you just move them in the sync folder and then direct 1Password to switch between vaults.

If you want to keep one vault, you have to export the data from one vault and import it into the other vault and then sync only that vault with your preferred sync client.

This discussion has been closed.