iPhone fingerprint for Mac OS

sguinness
sguinness
Community Member

Would it be possible to use Continuity or Handoff in some way so that I can unlock 1Password for Mac using my iPhone fingerprint sensor? It'd be a neat little trick, especially if it could be integrated with your browser shortcut button.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

In order for Handoff or Continuity to work the way that you suggest, you would need a Mac that shipped with at least Yosemite and a iOS 8 minimum device. I am uncertain if will be possible to do so.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@sguinness we see requests for this feature quite often, and the response is that it's tricky to figure out how to do this without compromising your security. We have some proposed solutions, and it's an area of interest for many of the people on our team, but I can't speculate on whether or not we'll ever release something like this to the public, or, if we do, when it would be available.

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

+1 Especially with Apple's Auto Unlock feature with iOS 10 + MacOS 10.12, this kind of functionality will start to become expected. Personally, I use 1P so often that a feature like this would really come in handy.
    Regarding a product with a similar feature to the proposed feature, Knock, do the security experts at AgileBits think Knock presents an unwarranted security risk?

• @twilsonco As far as I know none of us here at AgileBits have been given the opportunity to look at the implementation behind Knock, so we wouldn't be in a position to offer an opinion.

Ben

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member

@Ben Very PC response :p
    @sguinness 's mention of using iPhone with TouchID to unlock without compromising security was what prompted my question. Knock started off, as the name suggests, as a way to unlock your Mac by simply knocking your iPhone with your knuckles, which presents an obvious security loophole if you leave your iPhone unattended next to your Mac. The current version allows you to require TouchID in order to unlock which, as far as I can imagine, is a pretty secure way of doing things.
    I've suggested here previously that AgileBits and KnockToUnlock team up to bring this functionality. Knock only uses your Mac administrator password which is (hopefully) different than the 1Password master password, so the solution isn't obvious to me.
    At any rate, I hope a solution can be found. It seems strange that accessing 1Password in iOS should be so much more convenient than in MacOS.
    1Password is so far ahead of the competition that you can likely continue to grow without such a feature, but I'm sure people would still love it.

• I have no doubt of that. ;) It is a very cool idea, and hopefully one we'll be able to explore more fully.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.