i formatted my pc by mistake :(

Options
mariosota
mariosota
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

yes i know how bad it sounds , im desperate and don't know where else to ask for help , is it possible to recover encrypted 1password files after fromatting the pc ? or maybe recover the full program ? i still remember the master password .

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dnmax
    dnmax
    Community Member
    Options

There are many programs to recover deleted files, recuva for example. Dont recover 1password ony recover vault.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mariosota,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having! Were you using 1Password in another device that you were syncing to? Did you ever set up Dropbox sync? Even if you weren't syncing, I'd recommend you to take a look at your Dropbox account and see if you have either of the files mentioned here: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/#step-3-verify-that-dropbox-com-has-your-1password-data.

Unless you have a Family or Team account, 1Password's data is stored locally, on your computer. We have no way to access it, so if the only copy of your data was on your computer and you formatted it there's no way to recover it :(

Please let us know how this turns out and if there's something else we can assist you with.

• mariosota
    mariosota
    Community Member
    Options

@dnmax what type of file is it , also after i find it what can i do with it ?

• 1Password vaults are shown as folders with customised icons in the windows Explorer.
    The file extension is either .agilekeychain or .opvault.
    Backups that 1Password creates have the file extension .agilekeychain_zip
    or .opvault_zip.

Once you have restored a vault file or a backup, you can open them in 1Password for Windows via the menu: 'File > Open 1Password vault…'

Restoring a backup is just as easy. Please have a look at the description in our guide article on backups.

Let me reiterate that your 1Password data and the application are completely separate and you can simply reinstall 1Password for Windows from our website.

Please let us know if you manage to restore the files and tell us if you might have been syncing your data via Dropbox, OneDrive, or another file syncing service, as this might be another place you could find your data.

This discussion has been closed.