Merge two databases; single user

Options
steppy
steppy
Community Member

I have a current 1Password databases and an old database (from an older computer). I realize I should have migrated when I got a new workstation...but, regrettably, I didn't.
What would be the best way to combine the two databases on the current computer?
thanks for assistance!

step

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.5.
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steppy,

If you still have access to both computers, you can use Dropbox or iCloud to sync the information between both of them. Assuming they're both Mac, iCloud will be the easiest. You can see how to set up iCloud sync here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-icloud.html

Just as a warning, you might end up with some duplicates if you saved some of your entries on both of your computers. If you don't want to keep on using the older computer you can stop the syncing once everything has been moved.

Please let me know how this goes for you! :chuffed:

• steppy
    steppy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Pilar.

Is there any alternative if I can't access both machines? It's possible, but, would be difficult. (Okay I'm lazy/busy). Also I'm certain there are duplicates. Is there a process (we like easy!) other than manual review/delete to deal with duplicates?

steppy

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steppy

Setting up iCloud sync is far the easiest and fastest way to sort it out. Unless you were syncing your old computer to some other device that you could retrieve your data from, the only way to get your data back is by taking it from the old computer's hard drive.

There's no way to automatically sort out duplicates, and that's actually for your own safety! 1Password won't make decisions about which logins to keep and which ones to throw away. Dealing with duplicates automatically feels like a good idea until you realise how easily you could mess up your data :unamused:

Please let us know if you have any other questions! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.