SAFARI can't find OnePassword?

Options
ttalmon
ttalmon
Community Member

I reset safari and am having problems with OnePassword. I had a devil of a time installing it and getting it into the extensions but now its there and shows up. Even its ICON shows up in the toolbar. However, when I CLICK the icon it doesn't open OnePassword. Instead it takes me to some web site and says something like "Choose an App" So I figured its looking for OnePassword. ?? But when I navigate to my applications folder and go to choose OnePassword its is not selectable. Whats happening? TIA for any help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @ttalmon ,

I'm sorry you are having trouble with the extension. If you can answer a few questions, we should be able to help you out:

1. What happens if you open the 1Password application, and then launch Safari and click on the extension? Does it find the app then?'
    2. Does it say anything at the top of the window asking you to locate 1Password?
    3. Are you certain it takes you to a web site or is it just an open window? If it's a web site, what is the URL of that web site?

With the answers to those questions, we should be able to see what is happening.

Regards,
    Kevin

• ttalmon
    ttalmon
    Community Member
    Options
    1. If I open 1Password first and then open safari 1password asks me if I want to install the app in safari. (it always asks that for some reason) So I click yes. Then when I open safari and click on the 1Password icon (which for some weird reason looks like a squiggly letter 'i' or '1' or something?- I kinda miss the 'key' icon, it made more sense) I get a message that says "There is no application set to open the URL onepassword4-extension://activate/Safari. Search the app store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer."
    2. (see above)
    3. It take me to agile bits.com
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ttalmon,

Thanks for the additional information! If you open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menu bar, what version does it show? It sounds like you have the newer version of the browser extension installed, but if the main 1Password app is version 3 (a much older version), it won't work with the newer extension.

It will also help if you can let us know some specific details about your setup:

Thanks in advance! :)

• ttalmon
    ttalmon
    Community Member
    Options

Running El Capitan 10.11.4 on an iMac (mid 2010)

You are correct. The app is an older one. I tried updating it but got this.

• ttalmon
    ttalmon
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmmm. I'm not sure if I am attaching an image or not in the above discussion. Anyways - I tried updating the 1Password and it won't unarchive. It keeps saying there is an error in unarchiving the package. I tried primary server AND alternate server.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for that trouble, @ttalmon. It would be really helpful to know this information before we go any further:

If you need to attach an image, you should be able to do so like this:

• Susanregan
    Susanregan
    Community Member
    Options

Few days ago i am also suffer this problems but i call Apple Mac customer care, technician solve my problem.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Susanregan It's good to hear you're not experiencing issues anymore! Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you :chuffed:

• ttalmon
    ttalmon
    Community Member
    Options

@Pilar - What do you mean? I am still experiencing issues. C'mon guys - I really need to get to my passwords.

@ Khad, I did try attaching images multiple ways here in this thread including the way you suggested. It doesn't work. I tried .TIFF and .JPG and it won't stick. Are there size restrictions on images? I just did a screen capture using GRAB so I can't imagine the file being very large.

Anyways... Heres some more info:
    1.) 1Password on Mac is 3.8.21 (build 32009) Like I said, I know its OLD but I can't update it. I keep getting an unarchived error message.
    2.) Inside SAFARI is 1Password version 4.5.6

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Sorry for any confusion, @ttalmon. Pilar was replying to Susan. We are here to help, and we won't rest until things are working correctly for you. :)

Please remove the 1Password extension you have installed. It is for the current version of 1Password, so it won't work with the old version of 1Password you have. Follow the steps here to uninstall the 1Password 4.5.6 extension:

https://support.1password.com/uninstall-extension/#safari

Then install the old 1Password 3 Safari extension from here:

https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/safari.html?beta=n

That should get you back up and running, but please let me know if you have any trouble.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@ttalmon Might also want to note that 1Password 3.8 doesn't work very well with MacOS X 10.11.4.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vplewis,

Thanks for sharing! It’s true, there are a few compatibility issues with 1Password 3 in the latest version of OS X. Those issues are detailed in this forum post.

• ttalmon
    ttalmon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for hanging in there for me. I think its all working now. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @ttalmon! I know Megan will be delighted to know that. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Have a great rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.