1PasswordAnywhere won't open from Dropbox [1PasswordAnywhere is no longer supported]

spcurtis81
spcurtis81
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

Recently, my 1Password.html file stopped opening from Dropbox. Basically, when I click the link, instead of opening the site in a new tab as it did before, it just opens new a Dropbox page which has the file name at the top, blank for the rest apart from the comments column at the side.

I've tried in both Chrome and Internet Explorer. I've reset both browsers to their original settings and nothing has fixed it.

I recognise this is probably an issue local to my system but i'd be grateful if anyone knows what setting I need to change to get back to old behaviour.

Thanks,Ste

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spcurtis81,

As of recently 1PasswordAnywhere is not supported anymore, that's why you're finding this issues. You can read the details about why this decision was taken on this post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere

I'm sorry for the inconveniences this might cause you. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

• spcurtis81
    spcurtis81
    Community Member

Hi Pilar, Thanks for the quick response.

I did read that news last year when I had a previous issue and then it started working again and has done for about a year now until last week so I had been assuming there had been a change of plan.

I understand the explanation however and understand why this doesn't work anymore.

I don't know whether others are in a similar situation to me but I will share with you why this solution was so useful to me...

I work for a large company with a huge IT department. As a result getting software installed which isn't on the preferred vendors list is almost impossible. At the same time, I do not have the admin rights to install software anyway. This unfortunately prevents me from having a local installation of 1Password.

So I suppose I have three solutions...
    1) Use the mobile app and type passwords manually - having set up 50 character passwords this is quite laborious.
    2) Shorten my passwords to more manageable length so I can input manually.
    3) Look for an alternative (but less secure) service - admittedly i'd prefer 1 or 2 before I thought about this.

One last question... Is it possible to run 1Password from a USB stick?

Thanks for your help.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spcurtis81,

Thank you for reading through the post I linked you to and I'm glad to hear you'd like to stick with us! I understand why this solution was helpful, there are still a couple of options for you. Unfortunately, you can't run 1Password from a USB. If you want to use the mobile apps and type passwords manually 1Password has now a very nice dice ware password option that randomly picks words for you. Copying by hand something like mantilla.puss.violet.appendix would be much easier for you than a random string of characters. While doing the changes would be annoying, dice ware passwords are very secure.

There is one more possibility for you: 1Password for Families. If you get a Family account your information will be stored on a server and you'll be able to access it from a browser without the need to install any software in a computer. You can read more about this option here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• spcurtis81
    spcurtis81
    Community Member

Thanks Pilar,

I'm giving families a go.

Is there a quick way of copying all my saved passwords over from my old "Primary" vault to my new families-based "Personal" vault without having to go into each password and moving/copying as instructed here...
    https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/ios.html

Thanks

• spcurtis81
    spcurtis81
    Community Member

Apologies, I notice it recommends doing this in the Mac. Thanks again.

• Hi @spcurtis81,

You're welcome on behalf of Pilar.

There will be an update coming soon that'll let you use a Windows app to migrate your data fully as well. We do have a beta in the Windows 10 Store but we're working on a separate version that'll run from Windows 7 and above.

This discussion has been closed.