incorrect Apple ID 'owning' the app, & unable to restore Pro purchase

Options
ndc
ndc
Community Member
edited May 2016 in iOS

I bought 1Password Pro app for iOS in April 2016 on Apple's App Store with my Apple ID. Let's call it Apple ID "A". It was working great. However AppStore recently upgraded the app with a different Apple ID of mine, let's call it Apple ID "B", associated with a different country when I travel. Now my 1Password doesn't recognize me as a Pro purchaser. When I click 'Restore Purchase' in the app, it prompts me for the password for Apple ID "B". I enter that password correctly, but the restore fails, saying I must be signed in with the Apple ID used to purchase the app, and it thinks I purchased the upgrade with Apple ID "B" because that's the ID that upgraded the app most recently.

I want my Apple ID "A" to control the app, so I can restore my Pro purchase.

One solution would have been simply delete the app and re-install with my Apple ID "A".
However I hadn't yet backed up the app to iCloud with Apple ID "A".
I can sync it to iCloud now, but only with Apple ID "B"
So then if I delete the app, re-install it with Apple ID "A", I'll loose my data, as it would only be synced with Apple ID "B"

How can I get the app back under the control of my Apple ID "A" without loosing my yet-unsynced data?

1Password Version: 6.4 (640013)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ndc

Thanks for taking the time to write in. The solution you've proposed sounds like the best way forward. You'll want to back up your data before doing anything though:

Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

Once you've reinstalled you can restore from that backup.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ndc
    ndc
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Ben, I don't actually see a solution in the above. I don't see how a sync will work. As my Apple ID "B" currently owns the app, if I sync that via iCloud, and then delete the app and re-install with Apple ID "A", my backup to Apple ID "B" will be inaccessible, as it won't 'have' the app anymore.

To be clear, I just want my Apple ID "A" to 'own' the app again, without loosing any data. Do you know of a solution how I can do that?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Could you change to Dropbox sync temporarily?

• ndc
    ndc
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Ah I didn't think of that. Sounds good, will do

• ndc
    ndc
    Community Member
    Options

that works, thank you!

• Ben
    Options

Just for future reference, you don't even need an Apple ID to follow the instructions I posted. Backing up using iTunes it totally independent from iCloud. :)

It isn't a bad idea to both make a periodic backup and sync with iCloud/Dropbox. Backups serve a separate purpose from syncing. Syncing can help with data availability, but backups are for data recovery.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• sekmet
    sekmet
    Community Member
    Options

I just experienced the same issue. Was there an update that simply knocked out my pro features? The reason I ask that is because I did this previously and can confirm as I use 4 vaults for different purposes.
    The trouble with changing apple ID's is that doing so wipes all my music out since I use Apple music. Any chance when selecting a restore purchase option to allow us to sign in with an Apple ID vs. not being able to edit those fields?
    Until Apple comes up with a solution in which those of us who have multiple Apple ID's can merge them then this is a pain.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sekmet: Unless the app itself is installed onto the device using the purchasing Apple ID and you're logged into that same Apple ID when attempting to restore the purchase, the App Store won't validate it. That's simply the way that App Store purchase receipts work. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. It sounds like you have a lot of Apple IDs you're trying to juggle there, and I can only imagine that would be difficult. :(

• sekmet
    sekmet
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate your response. Unfortunately when I entered the apple realm I was using a third party email where I did most of my purchases. When it became clear where Apple was heading with its iCloud environment and certain features that are part of the apple environment became dependent on iCloud then I finally made the junp to only using an iCloud solution.
    Definitely understand and have a better grasp of Apples verification process regarding purchases (the nerd in me spent sometime researching last night).

I did reach out to Apple and brought this issue up. Sad to say but I would be more than willing to pay money to move all my purchases from one Apple ID to another...

Take it to easy and Thank you for your time!

• Ben
    Options

Indeed. You're most welcome. Hopefully in the future Apple will be able to offer a solution for those who ended up with multiple Apple IDs.

If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.