Suggestion: Clipboard Stacking

Options

I know you guys put a lot of AI into the form-filling logic, but there are always going to be some site/browser combos that defeat all attempts. My current bug-bear is Disqus which pops up a third-party window (at least in Firefox, Chrome and IE - it works better in Vivaldi with the Chrome extension). 1P does not know about this window and cannot determine the correct login let alone fill the form. Same for apps and programs which have their own log in screens 1P cannot inject its code into.

My suggestion is this: when the user clicks on a login item it would try to fill a form as at present, but if it fails to do that it would put the username on the clipboard. After the user pastes once, it would put the password on the clipboard automatically, allowing the user immediately to paste that without having to go back to 1P to copy it. This could be generalised allowing control of which fields are stacked in the clipboard and in which order which would be helpful for more complex cases.

I know this is possible to do in the Windows clipboard API but I do not know about the other platforms, so it might be a Windows only feature.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @JohnHind,

Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your request but 1Password already has this feature. We call it 'Auto-Type' and it uses the clipboard to sequentially fill login fields. This works on websites that defy the filling logic of our browser extensions, HTTP-Auth overlays, and pretty much any application on your PC.

The following user guide articles will tell you more about this feature:

Using Auto-Type, Creating an application Login

Regarding the disqus login window:
    I thought they had moved away from showing an overlayed frame on a given site and instead open a small pop-up window?
    If that's the case for you, then the browser window might not include the toolbar and thus no 1Password icon to click. Here you can use the keyboard shortcut that you can check and customise on the 'General' of the 1Password preferences.

Please let us know if this helps.

Cheers

• JohnHind
    JohnHind
    Community Member
    Options

Hay @AlexHoffmann

I'm hopeless at remembering hotkeys - I curse any app that does not have a context menu with 'paste' on every text entry box! But you are right about Disqus - use the CTRL \ hotkey in its window, (in Chrome and Firefox, but not IE, 1Password is also on the context menu, so I do not know how I missed that).

As far as I can see, the Auto-Type feature is sending simulated keystrokes, not using the clipboard? So it depends on the tab order being set correctly and some other points of possible fragility. My intended suggestion was that I could put the cursor in the username box, right-click and select paste (or type the paste hotkey if I could remember it) then put the cursor in the password box and paste again. This depends on me filling the boxes in the right order, but otherwise should work anytime paste would work.

But I'll put the "CTRL \" hotkey on a post-it since that does seem to work in most cases including Disqus.

On a side topic, you could add the new Vivaldi browser to your support list - the Chrome extension seems to work fine in that, and it handles Disqus better by bringing up its pop-up login in a full-feature tab.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @JohnHind,

Some apps disallow the pasting, so simulated keystrokes is the most accessible method. In certain apps, we do switch to clipboard but we try to avoid this as much as possible since clipboard is accessible to all apps and can be a security risk, so we avoid this at all costs.

We've added support for Vivaldi already in the last update and will add a few more in the next update but we don't advertise them outside of the main three browsers we do support. The minor browsers often come and go and we'd remove the ones that has gone out of business or no longer updated since it can be a security risk to keep supporting expired browsers with no security updates.

This discussion has been closed.