Firefox extension suddenly not responding anymore

Comments

• Jarman
    Jarman
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I'm also having an issue with the 1password extension (latest version) and Firefox (latest 64-bit version) under Windows 7 64-bit. The difference to the OP is that currently my extension doesn't do anything at all when I click on its icon in the add-on bar. I've also tried to login via the 1password application, but I'm not able to either and the removal/reinstallation of the add-on didn't make a difference.
    Everything was OK yesterday, but I can't say whether the culprit is the latest version of Firefox or the add-on (or both) as both have been updated in the last 48 hours.

• Hi @Jarman,

I moved moved your post out of the previous thread because it seems to be a separate issue.

What you're describing sounds an awful lot like some programme interfering with the connection between the 1Password Helper and the extension in Firefox. The usual culprits is anti-malware software or an extension that's capable of managing the connections in Firefox.

Does any of that ring a bell?

• Jarman
    Jarman
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply. Hard to say what program could be interfering as I've always had the avast antivirus and the Comodo firewall running in the background (way before I bought a license of 1password), but the current issue came up just recently.
    However I can now add a few new pieces of information:
    1) Rebooting my PC temporarily solves the problem as the 1password icon in the Firefox add-on bar becomes responsive again.
    2) A fireproof way to make it unresponsive, as I discovered, is by clicking on the most recent login item that appears at the top of the 1password menu (just above "Search..."). There's definitely something wrong going on with that login as a) it NEVER works and b) I have to select it from the "Logins" sub-menu for it to work as expected. In other words, they are supposed to be equivalent while in fact they are not.
    Further information: when I click on the 1password icon nothing happens (and even restarting the helper doesn't help), but as soon as I close Firefox the 1password menu appears from nowhere in the middle of my desktop (it doesn't work anyway, as Firefox is now closed).

• Thanks for getting back to us with this information.

While it's a bit odd that it never works with the login item suggested based on the site you're on, the other behaviour is definitely in line with what we've seen from the combination Avast + Comodo in the past.

Can you please temoprarily deactivate both applications, restart the 1Password Helper, and check if the extension button works in Firefox.

Can you also please check whether you're experiencing issues with the 1Password extension in Internet Explorer and Chrome?

• cas1701
    cas1701
    Community Member

Hi Alex,

I also have the same problem and in my case it seems to be purely a Firefox problem. I don't have Chrome on my system (Win 7 64 bit, Comodo Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-malware).

I did the same as Jarman and uninstalled/reinstalled the FF extension but still no joy. I followed your last post and tried it in IE11 without any problems, the extension acted exactly as expected

However this has only occured since this afternoon in FF as it was upgraded to v46.0.1.

Prior to the upgrade I was using FF and the extension without any problems. Mozilla seems to have broken something.

• Hi @cas1701,

If it was the Firefox update, we would be able to reproduce it but I've just tested Firefox 46.0.1 on Windows 7 (and Windows 10) with no problem here.

However, we've seen a few updates released for anti-malware solutions that would suddenly cause these type of issues and it is possible the Firefox update is a coincidence here.

Could you try this:

1. Disconnect the internet connection (via cable or disable Wi-Fi)
    2. Disable the AVs temporarily
    3. Open the main 1Password program and go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper
    4. Restart Firefox, is 1Password working?
    5. If not, switch to the main 1Password program and go to the Help Menu > Advanced, de-select the Verify web browser code signature. Now, restart 1Password Helper again and restart Firefox. Any changes?
  • cas1701
    cas1701
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to us so soon. Steps 1 -4 had no effect at all, however step 5 made the difference and the extension started working again. I re-enabled the Verify web browser code signature and the extension stopped working. So I take it back, Mozilla hasn't broken anything :)

Does this mean that the advanced step will now have to be disabled to allow use of the extension? Or will there be some form of update to 1Password or the extension?

Cheers, Cas.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @cas1701,

It means one of the following two things:

1. Your Mozilla build is not an official build that we support or
    2. Something's blocking or interfering with 1Password's ability to verify the identity of your Mozilla browser

Since we've tested the official builds from Mozilla with no problems, it's not an issue in 1Password or the extension, the issue is unique to something on your PC setup.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• cas1701
    cas1701
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

I've sent the email with the diagnostic report attached.

Cas.

• Thanks, we got the report and will reply there.

ref: QJY-82583-119

• Just an update, we've narrowed it down to Trusteer's Rapport. Disabling and re-enabling it was enough to fix the issue with 1Password in Firefox.

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member

same problem ? is the solution?

• That depends, @Iwouldrathernot,

Which anti-malware software are you using? In cas1701's case, the cause was Trusteer Rapport, a security software by IBM that is often recommended by banks. Are you using that software, too?

Cheers and have a great week!

• piersg
    piersg
    Community Member

I've been following this discussion for a while. About a week ago, suddenly 1password stopped working for me on Firefox. It still works fine in IE on the same machine, and he 1password desktop program opens without problems. Running Firefox 46.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit with Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614
    I've reinstalled Firefox and 1Password. I've tried Mike T's advice above. I've disabled extensions, firewalls and antivirus, unplugged my PC from the network, etc etc. I've restarted the helper over and over again, and looked for it in task manager. It still doesn't work: I click on the 1Password toolbar button and get straight through to "https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html".
    The only oddity is when I try to install the FF extension from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions via the 1password desktop program is "Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer". I click "Allow" and get "agilebits.com: The download could not be completed because of a connection failure". But download and install does work from the Amazon EC2 link https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.5.6.xpi
    I will email the diagnostic file, I hope that this will help you to help me.

• Ah, well this is interesting.

We've seen anti-malware software like Avast and AVG occasionally block the Firefox extension download in the first place but personally, I can't recall Kaspersky doing this.

The fact that the extension is working fine in Internet Explorer for you is a good indicator that something is interfering with the WebSocket communication at the localhost IP address 127.0.0.1 because the Internet Explorer extension doesn't use this technology, instead it connects to the 1Password Helper using the Windows Messaging Service.

I rechecked the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security in one of my virtual machines and found it to work normally with 1Password.
    This does not mean we can rule it out, it just tells us that it should/could work.

Are you using a VPN or proxy server? These sometimes reroute traffic at 127.0.0.1.

• piersg
    piersg
    Community Member

I've tried on my Win10 PC running the same versions of FF and 1Password and all is good. It must be problem with my Win7 PC. I can't telnet to the Agent on ports 6258 and 6263 on the Win7 PC but I can on the Win10 PC. So looks like a problem with this particular machine where it won't accept TCP connections to localhost, even with the firewall off. Using netstat I can see the Agent running and listening. I'll work on it myself and if I find a solution I'll post it here in case anyone else has this issue.

• Hi @piersg,

If we could get that diagnostics report from you, we can give you some ideas to look at. I don't see any emails yet from you unless your profile doesn't have the updated email address. In which case, could you give us the unique ID you got from our BItBot's auto-reply.

• piersg
    piersg
    Community Member

Hi Mike, it's #IRD-86147-578

• piersg
    piersg
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

It's Kaspersky doing it. If I remove Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, 1Password in Firefox works fine. Reinstall, stops working. Can't telnet to localhost with KIS2016 installed. I just tried with KIS2015 and there were no problems with FF/1PW (or telnet to 6263). Going back to KIS2015 for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@piersg: Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get it working, but it is troubling that Kaspersky interfered somehow. In our testing, recent versions haven't caused these issues. Can you tell us the exact version number you're using? We'll have to investigate this further.

ref: IRD-86147-578

• piersg
    piersg
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I was trying the latest one from their website, using the installer "kis16.0.0.614abcden_9957.exe"

• Hi @piersg,

Thanks, we'll test it and see if we need to follow up with Kaspersky to see what's up.

• Hey @piersg,

That is so very odd. I had just retested that exact same version on my machine and it worked fine.
    We're going to triple check this and get in touch with Kaspersky.

Can you please contact Kaspersky support, too? They need to hear about this not just from us but from paying customers, as well.

If you get a response, we'd be happy to to know what Kaspersky support tells you. Oh and if they need technical details, we're always happy to provide them.

Cheers!

• piersg
    piersg
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I'll raise a ticket but I suspect I'll get nowhere, like these similarly-affected souls...
    https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=346593
    https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=349154
    Sadly it means uninstalling KIS2015 and going to KIS2016 in order to generate the report; will do this when I can find a moment...

• Thanks, any time you can spare on this would help us and others that might be in your situation.

• Jarman
    Jarman
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

"If not, switch to the main 1Password program and go to the Help Menu > Advanced, de-select the Verify web browser code signature. Now, restart 1Password Helper again and restart Firefox. Any changes?"

Sorry for not getting back to you anymore, but in the end the hard drive of my laptop died on me and I had to move everything to another Windows 7 64-bit PC with a slightly different setup (Avira Antivirus instead of Avast). The 1password extension didn't cause any trouble until today, when I updated Firefox to version 47 and the extension immediately stopped working. However, this time the suggestion I'm quoting above did the trick!

Not sure if this is the end of my struggles with the extension, but I'll be reporting back in case of any further issues. Thanks for your assistance!

• MikeT
    edited June 2016

Hi @Jarman,

The 1password extension didn't cause any trouble until today, when I updated Firefox to version 47 and the extension immediately stopped working. However, this time the suggestion I'm quoting above did the trick!

That's great to hear but we don't recommend having the verification checked off full time. It helps narrow down where the cause could be but it's not the final solution.

In this case, the issue is most likely Avira. I would recommend whitelisting 1Password exe files in the Program Files (x86) > 1Password 4 directory and/or whitelist 127.0.0.1. Once you do that, turn Verify web browser code signature back on, and see if it works. If you're not sure how to, please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com and we'll work with you on this.

• Jarman
    Jarman
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Hi MikeT, thanks for your reply. Actually I didn't need to whitelist anything as I shut down my PC that evening and the next day everything still worked. I then proceeded to check the verification back on and the extension still worked (and it still does at the moment after another system shutdown yesterday evening).

So according to my previous experience, it really seems to me that something tends to go awry during the Firefox update process. On May 6th you said you "tested Firefox 46.0.1 on Windows 7 (and Windows 10) with no problem here"; might I suggest you guys to:

1) Install Comodo Firewall and Avira Antivirus (I had the same problem with Avast, btw) on a Windows 7 64-bit PC
    2) Install a slightly older version of Firefox 64-bit on your system (e.g. 46) from the Mozilla website, making sure it's a clean install
    3) Install 1password 4 and the Firefox 1password extension
    4) Update Firefox via Help > About Firefox to the latest version
    5) Check whether the extension still works or not

I'll make sure to send your way a diagnostic report as soon as the next scheduled update of Firefox (48) is released if the problem still occurs. Thanks again for your support!

• Hi @Jarman,

Thanks for the details, we'll test that combination and see if we can reproduce it.

This discussion has been closed.