Option for adding android package name to your logins

samirbittar
samirbittar
Community Member

Hey guys,

I wanted to suggest a new feature for the 1Password Android app. (and perhaps iOS app as well in case it works the same way)

There are a lot of websites that also have an Android/iOS app. However, 1Password for Android, sometimes, cannot reliably match a website's login information with that same website's mobile app. It's worse when the website has multiple 3rd party clients, like twitter. Here's an example:

1. On my desktop PC, I use the 1Password browser extension to save login information for twitter's website;
  2. On my Android phone, I go to the login screen of a 3rd party twitter app (not the official twitter app), load my 1Password Keyboard, but then 1Password tells me it can't find login information for "com.3rdpartyapp.app_name".
  3. Then, I have to search for my saved twitter login information.

So what I'd like to suggest is that, once I select twitter's login information, 1Password could ask something like "do you want to save "com.3rdpartyapp.app_name" as one of the URLs inside the selected login"?

Perhaps you could even have a separate "Android package names" collection where those package names are saved, so that they're not confused with actual website URLs.

That would help us with only needing to select login information for any given app once, in case 1Password can't find it automatically.

Thanks guys!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I like this idea :)

• Hi @samirbittar. Thanks for getting in touch with us and for the great feedback. :)

For filling on apps, we use the package name and reverse it to try to match it with a Login item. Twitter's app package name is com.twitter.android. If we reverse the package name it gives us android.twitter.com, which means the domain associated to the Twitter app is twitter.com. This approach works for many apps for their package names, but not all as you mentioned.

I'll pass your feedback along to the team, and we will revisit this in the future to see if we can improve it.

In the meantime, I recommend creating separate Logins for those apps by using the package name.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• mdmangus
    mdmangus
    Community Member

+1, I think it should be an additional field and not part of the website field.

• Great! Thanks for the :+1:! I'll pass your feedback along to the team.

This discussion has been closed.