1password for Mac doesn't save my password in the registration form at my.ecwid.com

Hello,

I noticed that 1password doesn't suggest saving a password for the registration form here: https://my.ecwid.com/cp/#register, so one has to save it manually. It would be great is it detected the register form on that page and suggested saving the password.

Once saved, it works good though – it auto-fills the login/password on the login form there.

Hope you can fix that.

Thanks,

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Hi @makfruit, thanks for making us aware of this. Just as a heads-up, I moved the thread to the "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum so the right people will be able to find it more easily :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @makfruit. I see the same behavior you're seeing. Based on my experimentation, I would guess that you filled in the fields and then clicked the "Create my account" button, which is a totally reasonable thing to do! That being said, if I press return in the password field, autosave does trigger. Does this match your experience?

Part of the reason for this is that the site is using Javascript on this button in order to process the form rather than using the standard HTML form submission mechanism. 1Password watches for certain actions on the page such as the standard form submission, the user pressing the return key in the password field, and the user clicking elements that 1Password thinks are indicative of the user submitting the form. Right now, 1Password doesn't "see" this button as a button that is submitting a sign in form because it's creating an account rather than signing in. I'm going to review this with the team because as it is now, the behavior just seems inconsistent between using the keyboard and using the mouse.

What I can say right now is that pressing return in the password field is currently the most reliable way to get autosave to fire, so while we're working to make things better, that can help you get the best behavior from 1Password.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions or troubles.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• makfruit
    makfruit
    Community Member

Hey Nmott,

Thanks for that – totally Ok with being moved =)

• makfruit
    makfruit
    Community Member

Hey Jamie,

Thanks for the details explanation. Hope you will get this resolved. Meanwhile, I'll go with the keyboard workaround.

I am working at Ecwid by the way. So the reason why I was reporting this is to make signup/signin process easier for those our customers who use 1password (I believe there is a lot, because you guys made a great product).

Thanks again,

Matt

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, Matt. If you're in a position to make changes to this form, I definitely could offer some suggestions.

By far the simplest way to improve things would be to use a standard form with a standard submit element that submits the form. If you need to handle this with Javascript, doing so by handling the submit event and then calling preventDefault would accomplish this.

When I edited the markup in the page to change the <button> tag to <input type="submit" value="Create my account"> while keeping all the rest of the attributes the same, the styling stayed the same and it did indeed trigger autosave.

• makfruit
    makfruit
    Community Member

Hi Jamie,

We'd happy to do that, but I am afraid this change, even though it's easy, will unlikely get a priority in the team backlog anytime soon.

There is likely a lot of forms on the web using this hybrid form/button approach. I might be wrong but I think it's worth it for you to support those. Or, is it a rare occasion?

Anyway, thanks for your time. I hope you'll find a reason for that inconsistent behavior you mentioned – there seems to be a chance it will uncover a solution.

Have a nice day!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, Matt. I didn't mean to say that this was the only approach. We will definitely review our autosave code to see how we can improve. I have an idea that could make autosave much better in Chrome (and hopefully eventually Firefox once WebExtensions are further along) but that's a pretty big change that we're not quite ready to tackle just yet. But I wanted to offer you a workaround in the meantime if it were a simple change to make. I certainly understand that your team will have its priorities just like we will have ours.

I wish I could say that this is a rare thing to find, but it seems to be the case more and more that web developers are foregoing straightforward semantic markup and functionality in favor of Javascript gymnastics. Just yesterday, I diagnosed a site where the element the user clicks on to process a form was just a styled <div> with no clear indications of the function it performs. You're absolutely right that this is something we need to do better with, especially since autosave is such a crucial part of getting users' credentials into their vaults.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now. Let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• makfruit
    makfruit
    Community Member

Jamie,

Thanks for your replies and detailed explanation. No worries, your answer is perfect.

Look forward to hearing from you sometime in this thread.

Thanks,

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

We'll definitely update you, Matt. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.