My new password is not saving in the correct location of 1Password

Options

I have tried changing my Facebook password on my PC (several times), but no matter what I do, the new password is not saving in the Password field of 1Password properly. However under Logins, I can see that the new password is showing in the field titled password_new under form details, but that doesn't help me access my accounts. How do I get this corrected? Also my username was saved incorrectly.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My new password is not overwriting the old

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sher570: I'm sorry for the trouble! Since I was able to save a Facebook login with the correct username and password (the fields I'm seeing are user and pass respectively), it isn't clear what the problem is in your case.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, the exact URL of the login form you're having difficulty with should help. Thanks in advance! :)

• Sher570
    Sher570
    Community Member
    Options

I am on Windows 8, browser is Chrome, 1Password is 4.60.604 (15), Ext version 4.5.5.90 (Google Chrome). I have gone into 1Password on my desktop and deleted the login for Facebook. Then I go to Facebook to change me password under settings. Whether I use the password generator tool or not, the password saves fine in Facebook but it is not at all saving correctly in 1Password. Then even if I don't delete the Facebook login in 1Password, but just try to update my settings, it does not work. Isn't there a way to speak to a human being about this? I am extremely frustrated!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Sher570,

I am sorry that you're frustrated, we do understand and your issue isn't normal at all.

It sounds like 1Password did not prompt you to save your Login item with the new password as soon as you submit the password change, is that correct? Just to be clear, when you generate a new password, 1Password is only offering it to you as a suggestion. When 1Password fills it into the Change Password form and you submit the form, 1Password is supposed to detect the submission and prompts to save a new Login item or to update an existing Login item. If not, you do have to option of updating it manually.

First, can you try something for me:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and select Generated Passwords on the sidebar. If you don't see this, go to the View Menu to select Generated Passwords, it'll then show up on the sidebar
    2. Now, sort it by date. Do you see the most recent entry for Facebook?
  • Sher570
    Sher570
    Community Member
    Options

No, 1Password IS asking me to save the password (which I am doing) but it is saving it wrong.

• Sher570
    Sher570
    Community Member
    Options

No matter what I do, the new password is not saving properly in 1Password; User name is not saving correctly even though it did the first time I used 1Password for Facebook. The password field is also not saving correctly, it's actually saving my last password used, yet towards the bottow of the screen I can see that the new password is showing in the field titled password_new under form details, but that doesn't help me access my accounts.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Sher570,

It's normal for it to save both passwords, that's because the old and new passwords were entered in the Change Password form. However, 1Password is supposed to fill the new password only.

One thing that might be possible is that 1Password is entering too long of password that Facebook doesn't accept. To rule this out, can you copy the new password and try to log in manually with it, does Facebook let you in?

If yes, try this:

1. Visit the Facebook's login page, enter your username and the new password but do not submit the form yet
    2. Click on the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar and go to Settings > Save New Login
    3. Make sure you choose to create a new Login item instead of replacing for now. You can delete the older one if the new item works better.
    4. Refresh the login page and ask 1Password to fill this new Login item, does it work better?
  • Sher570
    Sher570
    Community Member
    Options

No there is no problem with the length of the password for Facebook. Your trick to log out and log back in and create a new login through settings worked properly. However when I tried to change my password in Facebook again and then resave, it did not work. In 1Password upon resaving as the same user name, it deleted my username and kept the old password. So I once again went to the main Facebook login screen to create yet another new login under settings and it worked. You obviously have a problem with your software, and I don't appreciate the amount of hours I have played with this to try and get it working. I would like to be notified when this problem rectified.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Sher570,

I've moved this thread to our browser extension forum, so our extension experts can investigate the site more throughly to see what's going on.

We cannot reproduce this issue on our side yet but we will keep investigating for a solution for this.

Is Facebook the only site you're seeing this on?

• Sher570
    Sher570
    Community Member
    Options

Yes only Facebook

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Sher570. I'm sorry for all the rigamarole. It sounds to me like when you're on the change password page, 1Password is saving a new Login rather than updating the current one. I just tested this and 1Password seems to be working properly for me. Here's what I see:

The key is that the window has selected the Update Existing tab. After clicking the Update Existing button, the password to my existing 1Password Login was changed to the new password; however, if the Create New tab is selected, it will create a new Login using only the information it has available from that current page, which is the three password fields and no username information.

Does this match up with your experience or are you seeing something else?

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sher570,

That image won't help much as you're using 1Password for Windows so these images should hopefully look more familiar.

If the extension recognises that you're on a password change form the window you should hopefully see looks like this.

You see this window when the extension recognises the page as a password change form and you have a Login item saved whose password field contains the old password. The way we do this is a password form almost always asks for your old password once and the new one twice (so you don't get locked out by typos). If the password seen once is the same as the password in the item and the domains match we show that window. All that should happen is that the stored password is changed for the new one.

If it isn't being recognised as a password change form for any reason you will probably be seeing something like this.

and the drop down menu can be altered so it looks like this

You'll notice I've been using Amazon in my examples. That's because I know how we work with that site very well (it's one of the goto test sites for me) and because I don't have a Facebook account to test with. If you can let us know what you're seeing that will help narrow down the behaviour and hopefully help us understand what is happening here. If you are interacting with 1Password and the window looks like the last screenshot have you been ticking the checkbox?

• Tow_Pilot
    Tow_Pilot
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi Jamie,

What I experience is that when changing passwords on a site;
    Open the site
    go to the change password page
    open 1Password
    set the password length and then copy the password
    save 1Password
    paste the generated password into the site's change password fields and save

1Password pops up the window allowing either to make a new or update existing.

I don't really need to save, I already have saved in 1Password.

If I do select Update Existing, 1Password saves the original password, not the one that was just saved (sigh).

Which means having to go through the password recovery process.

Mac OSX

Safari
    Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17)

1Password 6
    Version 6.3 (630032)
    AgileBits Store

Mike

[Admin note: edited to quote Jamie's earlier response]

Hi, @Sher570. I'm sorry for all the rigamarole. It sounds to me like when you're on the change password page, 1Password is saving a new Login rather than updating the current one. I just tested this and 1Password seems to be working properly for me. Here's what I see:

The key is that the window has selected the Update Existing tab. After clicking the Update Existing button, the password to my existing 1Password Login was changed to the new password; however, if the Create New tab is selected, it will create a new Login using only the information it has available from that current page, which is the three password fields and no username information.

Does this match up with your experience or are you seeing something else?

--
    Jamie Phelps

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tow_Pilot,

May I ask, what sites are you experiencing this with? Whenever we release a new version of the 1Password extension, both stable and beta we do a bunch of sanity tests just to make sure nothing is super wonky with this exact compiled version of the extension. One of those tests is to have 1Password recognise a password change form and save. I perform this test a total of five times, once for Safari, Firefox and Chrome on the Mac and once for Firefox and Chrome on Windows. I then always log out the account and test logging in with the updated Login item. This means if there was something funky going in general you would hope the test captures it.

What is a lot tougher to account for is if a site is doing something a bit unusual and we're not correctly recognising something specific to this site. So learning what sites you're seeing this on and if you're only seeing the issue on specific sites will help us and ensure we're looking in the right places to understand what may or may not be broken.

On the Mac, if 1Password recognises the page as being a password change form you should start off in the Update Existing tab and it is worth checking and ensuring that the correct Login item is selected if you have more than one Login item for this site. If 1Password is instead initially asking if you want to Create New that means it isn't identifying the page as a password change form. If you're happy to tell us what site or sites this applies to we'll investigate and see what we can learn.

• Tow_Pilot
    Tow_Pilot
    Community Member
    Options

I'd have to go back and test when I get time. First I had to scroll through the 150 items saved to look for a recent date.

https://bundlehunt.com/

https://shop.cariboucoffee.com

If I test, I need to change passwords and maybe cycle through a password recovery for the account.

Sorry, that will need to wait.

Thanks,
    Mike

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Tow_Pilot. In order to test this, I went and created an account with bundlehunt.com, but I wasn't able to reproduce the failure.

First, I saved a new Login when I initially signed in with my initial password, which I'll call password1. Then, I went to my account and copied password1 from my Login and pasted it in the current password. Then I generated a new password and filled it. Let's call this password2. I pressed return in the password field to submit the form and 1Password prompted me to update my password for the site. I agreed and then checked that the new value was properly saved. Then, I repeated this procedure but this time by clicking the "Submit Form" button. This too caused 1Password to prompt me to update the saved password.

Does this match your steps or is it slightly different?

--
    Jamie Phelps

This discussion has been closed.