Chrome requires double-click on all elements after filling or Autosave with 1Password [Solved]

Options
vels
vels
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

I use 1p mostly via the Chrome extension on my mac (osx10.10), latest chrome version.

Ive noticed a bug quite a few times where after filling out a password or credit card form with 1p that when i click on an item, link or other form element (eg submit) it dosnt work. To get it to work im required to double click.

Any ideas whats causing this and how it could be resolved

AgileBits Update: A solution has been found for this problem. Please click the Proven Solution badge to view it.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx10.10
Sync Type: local
Referrer: kb-search:double click bug

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vels: That's a very strange issue. I'm not able to reproduce it here I'm afraid. Are you encountering the same behaviour in other browsers as well? What's the exact OS X, Chrome, and 1Password extension you're using? Thanks in advance! :)

• sdjaime
    sdjaime
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

I posted about this months ago, submitted diagnostic reports, and it kind of just went unresolved.

Running Chrome on a Mac. Using 1password extension. Whenever 1password tries to save a password (or I auto-fill a password), even if I don't save it, for a period of time it takes multiple click attempts to get a button or link to be pressed/followed. I either have to wait it out for an undetermined amount of time, or fully quit Chrome and relaunch. It's getting to the point where I'm about to uninstall 1password, because it's becoming more of an irritation than a help.

I really have no idea how I am the only one experiencing this. Running most up-to-date Mac, Chrome, and 1password. Please advise.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
    OS Version: 10.11.5
    Sync Type: iCloud

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @sdjaime. I'm sorry for the trouble, and you're right that so far we haven't made any progress on this. Right now, the biggest problem for us is that we haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Several of us on the team use Chrome as their main browser, and I recently heard of another report of this in Safari as well, which is my main browser. No one on our team is able to reproduce it yet, and until we can, there's not a lot of progress we can make.

I'm sure this was asked previously, but do you see this happen with every site or just a few? If you can give us very particular steps to reproduce the problem, we'll happily dig in to solve it.

• jpetrarca
    jpetrarca
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have this happen quite a lot. United.com is an example for me. In particular, I notice it with form fields and other elements that require javascript handlers (show/hide), etc. Sometimes the double click actually does/undoes an action. In particular, if I'm trying to click a checkbox, I have to double click which actually checks and then unchecks it. I hope that helps. I can try to get some reliable steps to reproduce for you, but it seems that it is when the plugin spawns a request to update information about a particular login. In my case with United, it had asked me if I wanted to edit/add a login. I added a new login to the same website (I have two logins saved at United.com) and it started immediately after that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jpetrarca,

Anything that can help us will be appreciated due to what Jamie said in the post before yours. Using united.com as a base for the discussion.

1. If you restart Chrome and visit united.com does it happen straight away or does Chrome have to have been in use for a while?
    2. Does the issue persist if you only have the 1Password extension enabled in Chrome?

Anything you observe could be a clue and if it allows us to understand and reproduce we stand a chance. I've been running Vivaldi for over a month now as my primary browser and it's built on Chromium. It's usually open with multiple windows/tabs for the entire day so if it is simply general usage I would hope I would be afflicted. The rarity of reports suggests it could be something quite specific and we're just not spotting it or making the link. We realise it's frustrating and we don't want the extension to be doing anything like this, it's just we don't know what's going on.

• rschmid39
    rschmid39
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. After mini opens to fill or save a password, I then have to double click on everything.

Chrome: 50.0.2661.102
    1pass: 6.2.1
    OSX: 10.10.5

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rschmid39: Definitely restart your Mac, update 1Password (you're two updates behind), Chrome (one major release), and make sure you're using the newest extension as well before you do anything else. Also consider updating OS X to take advantage of security and stability improvements in El Capitan...but that shouldn't be relevant to your browser issue.

At that point, if you're still able to reproduce this issue, please generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', your timezone and the date/time of the incident to help us find it in the logs, and the exact steps you're taking (including the URL). We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• rschmid39
    rschmid39
    Community Member
    Options

I have updated Chrome and attempted to update 1password but I only get an error. Assuming I should now uninstall/reinstall?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rschmid39: Do you mean the extension? If so, yes I'd go ahead and reinstall it. The browsers should update it automatically, but this doesn't seem to happen in any reasonable amount of time so I often do it manually.

However, I would love to know the specific error you're getting, in case it's something we need to look into. Thanks! :)

• rschmid39
    rschmid39
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I updated everything and it's worked fine for the last 5 days but the issue has come back. After the extension pops up to save, generate, etc. you can no longer single click anything on any tab in chrome. Everything has become a double click, like the post button below and even trying to highlight text. It is quite annoying.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rschmid39: Ack! That sounds absolutely maddening! :scream:

At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs there. That will give us a clear picture if something is happening in 1Password to cause this.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• NiBr
    NiBr
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

1Password seems to have developed a problem since a few months ago. It took me a while to figure out it was 1Password at fault, but I'm pretty sure it is.

If 1Password pops up while using Chrome, after dismissing it has a strange effect on Chrome, like Chrome is only partially given focus back. Hovering over links will not show the hand pointer, and clicking links or buttons required a double or even triple click. Hover events are not fired.

Only clicking the 1Password menu bar (possibly Chrome icon either) and clicking off again gives Chrome proper focus again.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.1 (631005) Mac App Store
    Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:can't click chrome

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NiBr sorry to hear you're having this problem. Does this happen when you invoke 1Password (ie you choose to open it) or when 1Password offers to save a login? And have you noticed this behavior in other browsers, or just in Google Chrome?

• NiBr
    NiBr
    Community Member
    Options

B. It happens when 1password pops up, not when I click it.

• NiBr
    NiBr
    Community Member
    Options

And I only really use chrome

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NiBr thanks for clarifying. I've merged this with another thread about the same issue.

At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs there. That will give us a clear picture if something is happening in 1Password to cause this.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NiBr: Out of curiosity, are you (or anyone else experiencing this issue) able to get out of the "double-click as single-click" behaviour by switching focus to another app (for example, clicking the desktop to give Finder focus)?

• NiBr
    NiBr
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty The only way I can fix it is by clicking the 1password menubar icon and clicking off again. It's like 1password dialog box is hanging on to some mouse handlers after closing that the menubar successfully clears.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming that! Still haven't been able to reproduce it, but any detail may provide a clue.

• refres319
    refres319
    Community Member
    Options

Exact same issue happening to me, on sites with logins I'll type the login information, a pop asking me to unlock 1password appears, after cancelling that pop up the exact behavior described in above comments happens. Have to double click links and it's as though the cursor doesn't recognize what's clickable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@refres319: I'm sorry to hear that! Could you by any chance give a specific example and exact steps? It sounds like you may be interacting in a particular way, so I wonder if there's a clue there. Thanks in advance!

• Ben.S
    Ben.S
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same issue. I'm currently running all latest updates for 1Password and Chrome.

System: OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 (15E65)
    Browser: Chrome Version 52.0.2743.82 (64-bit)
    1Password Desktop: 1Password 6 - Version 6.3.1 (631006) - AgileBits Store
    1Password Browser Extension: 4.5.8.90

The only way I can ever to get it to work is by uninstalling an extension by right clicking on the icon in the toolbar and choosing "Remove from Chrome". However, thanks to this thread, I learned that I can open 1 Password's menu in chrome, click out/off of it, and the issue goes away. Perhaps the issue goes away, because I am clicking on an extension. Next time it occurs, I will try opening another extension from the toolbar and seeing if that works to make the problem go away.

I can also confirm that this is a 1Password issue and not another extension. I uninstalled 1Password chrome extension for 4 weeks and didn't have a problem. A few days ago, I reinstalled to see if there had been any updates that fixes the issue, any unfortunately, the issues came back. I have been dealing with this issue for months. Probably close to a year and I have tried everything. I've even deleted all extensions but 1Password and I still get the same behavior.

If there is any info I can provide you with that may help you debug the issue, let me know. I'm glad to help. :)

• Ben.S
    Ben.S
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

UPDATE:

It appears that if I activate another extensions menu, from the toolbar, it makes the issue go away.

Also, others in this thread have said that the issue only occurs when login info is submitted. I have not, in the past, made that realization. However, it just happened when I was logging into a website. I should also note that I was not using 1Password to login to the website.

What happened was:
    1. I just registered an account on said website (I did not interact with 1Password)
    2. Issue popped up
    3. I opened adblock's extension menu from the toolbar to fix it
    4. Issue went away
    5. Website took me to login page, I entered credentials, and submitted (again, I did not interact with 1Password)
    6. See step #2
    7. See step #3
    8. See step #4

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it in detail, but when the issue occurs, it's the links/buttons/actions on a page that become the issue. When you hover over something where the hand cursor is suppose to appear, it doesn't appear. Instead it's the normal arrow for the cursor and in order to trigger a click on that page, you have to double click. On some pages, it doesn't even work to double click. It'll do some super weird stuff depending on the page. I'm assuming it's interfering with click events from running javascript the website provided.

So, it happened on both the a registration page and a login page. I also don't recall 1Password prompting to save the password when I clicked the register button. I can confirmed that 1Password was locked at the time.

Also, I tried submitting a form with method POST on another site to see if it happens for non registration and login pages, and I can confirm that everything worked just fine. No issue at all.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi @Ben.S,

Can you check something for me please.

Visit chrome://settings/passwords in Chrome

This will filter the Chrome preferences to just those connected to the Chrome password manager. I believe by default both are enabled. Are they enabled in your case and if you disable them and restart Chrome do you see the same issue with 1Password?

• Ben.S
    Ben.S
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh, yes, both are enabled. They shouldn't be, as I don't use them.

I'll try what you have suggested and let you know. It may take a little time as it doesn't always happen when I login to a site. Only sometimes. (Note: perhaps it's only on certain login pages for certain sites)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Ben.S,

I look forward to hearing your results. My suspicion is you'll find the issue doesn't seem to occur now but I fully understand what you're saying, looking for the absence of what seemed to be an indeterministic event is pretty much a case of wait and see.

All thanks goes to another user who contacted us. I still don't know the details but I believe they've filed a bug report with Chrome as they found they could reproduce the issue outside of 1Password.

Hopefully your findings corroborate my current understanding :smile:

• leewilkins
    leewilkins
    Community Member
    Options

This issue occurs when logging into a website and 1password extension prompts you to save the login. If you click cancel, all further interactions with any websites on any open or new tabs in chrome require double clicks. i.e. clicking on drop downs, clicking on links, playing videos all suddenly require double clicks.

This makes it extremely hard to continue using most websites and i'm required to quit chrome and restart in order to fix the problem. This will fix it until next time i click cancel on the save login details prompt.

I had this exact same issue on chrome on my last mac too.

I'm currently using a Mac Pro on 10.10.5.

My previous mac was running El Capitan.

Both have latest versions of chrome and the extension installed.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
    OS Version: 10.10.5.
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension double click

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@leewilkins: Sorry for the trouble! I've merged your post with the existing discussion on this issue. It appears to be an issue connected to Chrome's password management, as it isn't exclusive to 1Password. You should be able to stop this behaviour by interacting with the menu bar. I hope this helps!

P.S: On an unrelated note, be sure to update 1Password!

• bryner
    bryner
    Community Member
    Options

Occasionally, I run into browser issues in Chrome on the Mac after 1Password prompts me for a password action (Saving login, updating login, etc.). When the issues arrises I have to double click links, the cursor disappears when clicking in form fields, and clicking on checkboxes is a mess. The issue is spotty and I can't recreate it on demand. If I close the browser and return to the page everything is great again. This issue is present on both my iMac and MacBook Pro using Chrome

1Password Version: 6.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
    OS Version: 10.11.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Jacob
    Options

Greetings @bryner! Welcome to our forum, and thanks for posting about this. :) Just to clarify, the page content itself stops responding after the 1Password autosave prompt appears? Are you able to scroll up and down the page? And do there happen to be any specific websites this happens on or is it a general issue you experience across the board?

This discussion has been closed.