Chrome requires double-click on all elements after filling or Autosave with 1Password [Solved]

Comments

• bryner
    bryner
    Community Member

The page continues to work and I can scroll and click on links. However, to click on a link I must double click to get the browser to navigate to the target. I can continue to fill out forms, but I can't tell where I'm at on the form since I lose the cursor icon. Usually, I work around this by typing and waiting for text to appear in the form field.

Unfortunately, my issue is very random. Random sites and random timing which I'm sure makes it impossible for you guys to find a fix.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bryner: I'm sorry for the trouble! I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your posts with the existing discussion on this issue.

The problem appears to be an issue connected to Chrome's password management, as it isn't exclusive to 1Password. You should be able to stop this behaviour by interacting with the menu bar or disabling Chrome's password manager. I hope this helps!

• Ben.S
    Ben.S
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Okay everyone, @littlebobbytables suggested a possible solution and I can confirm that I haven't had an issue since July 31, 2016. Thanks to @littlebobbytables!

I meant to confirm sooner but it always slipped my mind as I wasn't experiencing the issue anymore.

Instructions:

@littlebobbytables:
    "Visit chrome://settings/search#passwords%20and%20forms in Chrome

This will filter the Chrome preferences to just those connected to the Chrome password manager. I believe by default both are enabled. Are they enabled in your case and if you disable them and restart Chrome do you see the same issue with 1Password?"

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @Ben.S! Thanks for stopping by again to confirm littlebobbytables's suggestion has resolved the issue up to now (and hopefully continues to). We appreciate you sharing that knowledge. :)

• jwil
    jwil
    Community Member

So, I'm experiencing the same problem.

If I register on a site, chrome's password manager pops up and 1Password pops up.

If I cancel 1Password and use the cross to close Chrome's password manager everything works fine.

If I cancel 1Password and cancel Chrome's password manager by clicking on the screen, I need to double click everything, the bug appears.

It should be possible to use both options, sometimes I would like Chrome to save the password prior to 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I agree. As noted, it is possible to use both (though it isn't something we recommend, for security, privacy, and usability reasons). However, the 1Password extension cannot prevent the browser (or even other extensions) from interfering with its operations, so at this time it's best to disable the built-in password management if you'd prefer to have Chrome not require double-clicks to register a single-click. Alternatively, there are a lot of other great browsers that do not have this issue. I hope this helps!

• brdhll
    brdhll
    Community Member

I have this issue as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@brdhll: I'm sorry to hear that! As mentioned previously, this appears to be an issue connected to Chrome's password management, as it isn't exclusive to 1Password. You should be able to stop this behaviour by interacting with the menu bar, or disabling this in Chrome (URL: chrome://settings/search#passwords%20and%20forms). I hope this helps!

• guitarman6
    guitarman6
    Community Member

Bump for 2017 - same issue here. Just upgraded to latest and greatest macOS Sierra 10.12.2 (scary I know). I have recently experienced it in Chrome Version 55.0.2883.95 (64-bit) and noticed two sites that can often trigger the double click issue:

1. vimeo.com links intermittently can trigger it when entering password for pswd protected videos
    2. twitter.com - when entering username/password info, especially if logging in/out of multiple accounts in web browser

Its always solved by quitting and relaunching Chrome, but really sucks when bug comes up and you've got 5 tabs open with things you're in the middle of and then lose your place or tabs that you bookmarked to read 20 minutes later but then lose (alas they're in your history, but still, super annoying).

Hope that helps with debugging the issue -- love 1Password regardless!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@guitarman6 Do you also have Chrome's password manager enabled like others in this thread? If so, please disable it and see if that helps the matter. As a reminder, we do recommend that you disable your browser's password manager whether you use Chrome and see this issue or not.

• guitarman6
    guitarman6
    Community Member

Hey @jxpx777 - I do, and like the other users, prefer using both since while browsing with Chrome the user/pass integration is better for certain tasks vs. 1Password which I use for other things. I'll disable for now to see if that is indeed the culprit, but any plans for revision that will allow Chrome's password manager and 1Password extension to live in harmony?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@guitarman6: Since it isn't something we're doing, it's very much out of our control. For example, Opera, Vivaldi, and other Chrome variants use the same extension and don't seem to have this problem. And ultimately, while it's up to you whether or not you use Chrome's password management feature, it's not something we can really design around given that there are really good reasons (security, usability, etc.) not to have it enabled. We really need to focus on improving the 1Password experience rather than trying to compensate for Chrome bugs. :(

• guitarman6
    guitarman6
    Community Member

I hear ya @brenty -- can't please everyone. Just curious -- how much different is the Chrome password manager than 1Password as far as encryption and security. I still think the internal browser pass mgmt trumps 1P in usability in certain scenarios but you make an interesting point about security.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@guitarman6 Essentially, Chrome's position is that they aren't responsible for protecting your data from other processes and attackers. For me, this isn't good enough policy for a password manager. Chrome is correct that once a bad guy has software running under your user account, it can do a lot of things, but to take that to the next step and say that means they're off the hook is too simplistic in my view.

This article is a few years old and I don't think it is necessarily descriptive of the current situation, but it is worth considering: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/save-passwords-chrome-browser/story?id=19908237 This article, and my experience with the Chrome team in other contexts indicate that Chrome takes a position on these security concerns that is too lax for my taste. At least now Chrome allows for a sync passphrase, but that's a bit like closing the barn door after the horse is galloping away, and it makes me question where else they are exhibiting what I would call a reckless attitude toward security.

With 1Password, having your data locked behind a second level of security that is separate from your computer's sign in password means that you can protect those bits more than even using full disk encryption with FileVault or similar. With Chrome's model, anyone that can see the last screenshot you took sitting on your desktop could also get your banking password from Chrome's data. For me, that's not good enough. At least with Safari's model, there are ACLs in place so that if another application wanted to fetch your password, you would get a prompt about that. But, more than that, I would seriously question how readily users understand what is happening. Under what circumstances are your passwords available? What is required in order to retrieve them? With 1Password, it's very clear: your data is available when the vault is unlocked. When those grey doors are shut, your data is protected. This allows us to help users not only be secure but also to understand what the current state of things is in a way that isn't open to misinterpretation.

I hope that makes sense and helps you make your own informed decision about whether to continue using Chrome's password manager.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• guitarman6
    guitarman6
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

@jxpx777 WOW - thanks for this comprehensive explanation. I get it. 1Password it is moving forward...Onward and Upward! And here's to hoping Chrome plays nicer with AgileBits in the future...thanks again mate.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

• mluebcke
    mluebcke
    Community Member

It only happens when 1Password tries to get focus and does not give it back. The most obvious way to see it is that the three dots for closing, minimizing and maximizing the window turn grey as if chrome was not the focused app. If you get what I mean.

10.12.3 (16D32)
    1P: 6.6.2
    Chrome latest

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mluebcke,

Thanks for writing in - I have updated the title of this thread to indicate that a solution has been found for the original issue that was mentioned in the first post. Hopefully the solution will work for you too, you can check it out here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/326838/#Comment_326838

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• mluebcke
    mluebcke
    Community Member

@matthew_ag Thanks I found it and switched it off.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mluebcke - you're most welcome.

Do let us know if you've any other questions about 1Password or hit other issues - we'd be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• esdrasvera
    esdrasvera
    Community Member

I am forced to double click on web pages links,and submit buttons, AFTER I have used 1Password to fill out information on a webpage. I am certain that it is 1Password since the other Chrome Extensions i have removed one by one and re-added to see what the issue continues to be. And 1Password continues to be the conflicted extension

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.6.4 (664002) Mac App Store
    Extension Version: 4.6.4.90
    OS Version: 10.12.4
    Sync Type: icloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Chrome issues

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@esdrasvera: I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post with an existing discussion on this issue. Others here have reported that this is due to interference from Chrome's built in login filling and not exclusive to 1Password. You should be able to stop this behaviour by interacting with the menu bar, or disabling this feature in Chrome:

chrome://settings/search#passwords%20and%20forms

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• rwmatse
    rwmatse
    Community Member

I'm having the same 'double-click' problem. It's not that you have to double-click ... it's that the first click either isn't recognized, or it 'wakes up' to item. On a link, the first click seems to activate the link, and the second click executes the link. I am using Chrome web browser running Vista. This just started happening the past few weeks.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rwmatse,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to the Forum! :chuffed: A lot of people have reported things do work better if they disable Chrome's built-in password manager.

Have you tried this out to see if it helps?

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Jesse Williams
    Jesse Williams
    Community Member

Oh man, I've been having this issue for ages, across multiple OSX versions. It's annoying as can be. Somehow I never really pinned it to 1P until I just got frustrated and did a cursory Google search. I was having an issue with a particular website (Hungry Howies Pizza) where this was occurring EVERY time I logged in (not using 1P). After I saw this post, I disabled the 1P extension and it doesn't happen anymore. This is definitely a bug. I also use Chrome exclusively. In most cases I can say assuredly that it doesn't happen EVERY time that the "Would you like to save this password" popup appears, except apparently the Hungry Howie's Hunger Rush site. But this has been a thorn in my side for ages. It's fine - I don't like to use the extension anyway, but I can't believe this has been ignored for so long.

• Jesse Williams
    Jesse Williams
    Community Member

For what it's worth, I'm running:

iMac (27", Late 2013) with Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73)
    Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password 5 5.4.3 (553001)

The website I can get this to regularly occur with is:

https://hungryhowies.hungerrush.com/

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Thanks for your post, @Jesse Williams. Do you also have Chrome's password manager enabled? If so, disabling it is something we recommend, and not just for resolving this issue.

Also, 1Password 5 is quite old at this point. I see you're on Sierra, so you can upgrade to receive all of the improvements we've made in the last two years.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• Jesse Williams
    Jesse Williams
    Community Member

Hi Jamie,

When I first read this post I somehow missed the resolution. That did indeed resolve my issue, thank you!

As for upgrading to 6, nope. I love 1Password, but I won't pay a subscription for software. It's why I still use Adobe CS6 and won't use Office 365. I get the business model, but as a customer I prefer to actually own my software. If at some point 1Password 5 doesn't work anymore I'll either find another solution or roll my own.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@Jesse Williams I'm glad that helped! As for updating, 1Password 6 for Mac does not require a subscription; you can continue using your standalone vaults.

• Jesse Williams
    Jesse Williams
    Community Member

How? I tried setting it up on my work PC as well and it asks for {account}.1password.com address and secret keys that I don't have. Maybe the Mac version is different - I haven't tried it at home.

This discussion has been closed.