Chrome requires double-click on all elements after filling or Autosave with 1Password [Solved]

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Ah, 1Password 6 for Windows does require a 1Password.com account. If you're using standalone vaults, stick with 1Password 4: https://agilebits.com/downloads

• Jesse Williams
    Jesse Williams
    Community Member

So there IS a difference? Good to know. I'll probably update on my Mac, then. Thanks!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure! :+1:

• JENZ
    JENZ
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I have this issue too. I didn't realise what was causing it. It's been driving me a bit nuts, as Chrome would suddenly refuse to let me click links, activate form fields, click buttons, etc. I didn't realise double-clicking worked, so I've basically had to shut down the browser when it occurs. I found this post here on 1P forum whilst looking for a solution. I now realise 1P has been causing the issue. In fact I couldn't even click anything on this site (as the issue was occurring when I started looking for a solution), until I logged in (using 1P) and then the issue went away.

Is the official solution still to disable Chrome's built in password manager?

"Visit chrome://settings/search#passwords%20and%20forms in Chrome
    This will filter the Chrome preferences to just those connected to the Chrome password manager. I believe by default both are enabled. >Are they enabled in your case and if you disable them and restart Chrome do you see the same issue with 1Password?"

I have low-security sites that I want to have Chrome auto-fill the login for me? So it's not ideal to have to disable that. Is this something Agilebits is working on resolving?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JENZ,

The issue is within Chrome rather than the extension so we will require Google to supply the fix. Until such time the as-official-as-it-gets answer is to disable the browser auto-fill feature. I believe Chrome will continue to fill with data already stored if you only disable the Offer to save your web passwords option as if memory serves me correctly it is the prompt that is linked to the undesirable behaviour. I confess though that disabling the auto-fill is the very first thing I do with any new browser setup so I'm a little hazy about some of the specifics.

• websplash
    websplash
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem since months. Mac with Google Chrome...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @websplash,

The solution is still to disable the built-in password manager in Chrome. If you visit chrome://settings/passwords in Chrome you can disable it from there and that should resolve the issue. You will want to disable the entire feature.

• websplash
    websplash
    Community Member

Thanks, I did so. But what if I want to use both?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@websplash: You can certainly do do that, but it isn't something we recommend since we don't have any control over the security or user experience of Chrome's password management. For most users, it just causes a lot of confusion and trouble, but you're free to make a personal choice to deal with that anyway. There just isn't any way for us to fix this bug in Chrome though. Cheers! :)

• andy_appleseed
    andy_appleseed
    Community Member

I also recently started experiencing the issue as described by Vels (top comment in this forum). It started happening about three weeks ago after years of no problems using 1Password. I tried turning off Chrome's auto-password feature as recommended in some other threads around this issue, but it persists. I'm using Chrome Version 62.0.3202.62 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@andy_appleseed Are you using 1Password on a Mac or Windows? Can you test this out in a fresh Chrome profile and let us know if it still happens? We'll just need more information to try to reproduce this and see if there's something actionable on our side.

Thanks!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• andy_appleseed
    andy_appleseed
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Jamie. I'm on a Mac running Sierra version 10.12.6. Can I use an existing alternate profile, or should I create one from scratch?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I'm mostly concerned to make sure we're testing 1Password in isolation. If you have a profile with no extensions or with just 1Password installed, that should be fine, but honestly, creating profiles is so quick, I would say to just create one fresh so we can know we're dealing with a clean environment.

• ryan_untrodden
    ryan_untrodden
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Similar to @andy_appleseed, the suggested fix of turning off Chrome's password manager is not fixing the double-click issue for me. Any suggestions?

I've already uninstalled Chrome (including deleting all of the folders/extensions in the Application Support folder) and started with a fresh Chrome install.

Chrome Version 62.0.3202.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (17B48)
    1Password 6.8.3 (683004)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ryan_untrodden,

Unfortunately if andy_appleseed is still suffering from this we're unaware as the visible conversation is the entire extent of it so far. This leaves us at the moment of two isolated cases and no known cause as to why the previous advice is not working as it seems to be for everybody else. I can't promise any quick answers I'm afraid but a good a place to start as any will be with a diagnostic report to help give us an overview of your Mac. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. Can you post that here please to help us connect the two and keep the conversation going.

• mileserickson
    mileserickson
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue at this very moment. Chrome is ignoring all single clicks and only acknowledges two-finger (context menu) clicks or double-clicks.

• Yvo
    Yvo
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I'm having this issue too, it is really super annoying. I always have the issue when I'm doing an iDEAL payment through my bank. It is not fun having to double click buttons when it comes to financial transactions.

My partner is also using Chrome + 1Password + MacOS and has the same issues. This shouldn't be this hard to reproduce if it happens to so many people. I hope that you guys can fix this issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@mileserickson & @Yvo, are you both saying you have disabled Chrome's autofill as detailed on our support page Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser?

• chrisvconley
    chrisvconley
    Community Member

This issue happens to me infrequently and I always restarted Chrome. Never made the connection that it was after 1password prompted me for my 1P password to save the password.

Just found this thread in searching for an answer. 1P just asked for my password for a site and then I got the need to double-click behavior.

To the suggestion above, I clicked on one password in the chrome extension icon area and closed it.

One click returns!

I'm up to date on Chrome, MacOS and 1password.

• Yvo
    Yvo
    Community Member

Disabling Chrome's password manager seems to provide a workaround for now.

• @Yvo: Glad to hear that got things working for you again. :chuffed:

• chrisvconley
    chrisvconley
    Community Member

I didn't do that, but will take a look! Tx.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• IonutZ
    IonutZ
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

I hate this double click bug, still happens to me on latest... This is 1.5 years later. Common guys. Also - I use both 1p and Chrome's password manager, so disabling it is not an option. I have been dealing with this bug for like 2-3 years now on multiple Macs. It's definitely reproducible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Right, but it's not something we can fix; both Chrome's password manager and extension APIs are solely within Google's control.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

My understand is a bug report was filed although I'm struggling to locate it. It may mean a second report needs to get filed with a worst case scenario of it being closed as a duplicate.

• a_user_name
    a_user_name
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

EDIT: Just scrolled to the end, sorry, didn't see this was on Google's side of things!

Having the same issue actually:

Chrome Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Mac OSX 10.12.6 , Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

I never usually save passwords in 1Password from the Chrome extension, but here's the exact steps:

• Type credentials into a form (in this case, chase.com)
    • 1Password prompts me to save these, I accept without viewing/editing the settings (tag name, user, pass, etc) 1Password provides
    • Click "not now" on Chrome's prompt's to save my password

After that all links on all pages do not change my cursor from arrow to a hand/finger, and links require x2 clicking as single clicks don't register.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@a_user_name: No worries! I'm sorry for the trouble. Indeed, this isn't something we can fix, as it isn't 1Password that's causing this. And while we've always recommended disabling autofill and it's a known fix for this issue in Chrome, with even more browser autofill vulnerabilities in the news recently I can't recommend this enough:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

That should do the trick for you, as it's worked for others. And personally it's easier for me to find things when I know they're all in my 1Password vault instead of spread across different browsers. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.