prompting for master password

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I've been having problems with my iPad with it frequently dropping wifi for the last few weeks (an apple issue). I've noticed that associated with this issue is a constant prompt to reenter my 1P master password, even though I have touch ID enabled and i never reboot my iPad. Does losing wifi force 1p to ask for the mast password? If not, how do i stop having to reenter it all the time?

1Password Version: 6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 9.3.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• gaspasser1
    gaspasser1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem with my iPhone with 1Password v6.4 and iOS 9.3. I get random requests for my password when I have Touch ID enabled and I haven't restarted my phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgleason51, @gaspasser1: When Touch ID is dismissed, you should be able to tap the 'fingerprint' icon just below the Master Password field to invoke Touch ID again. Is that not happening?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

No. I do not see anything other than the prompt to enter master password. I have not changed any settings nor have they been changed when I checked to make sure.

• gaspasser1
    gaspasser1
    Community Member
    Options

I discovered this solution correct this problem. Click on: settings/advanced/security/require master password. Then select the amount of time you want to elapse before the master password is required again. You should be good to go.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

This solution does not work for my situation. My settings are set to ask for master password after restart.

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having this same problem, and I have spent much too much time on it. This used to work fine. I found a thread from last year with suggestions which I tried without any luck and can't find anything else in your manual or FAQs. My settings are below:

why does it say that my master password will be required after 2 minutes. How do I set it to "when device restarts" as it in your online manual?

I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to change my master password to a simple short password instead of typing my complex password over and over on an iPhone.

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

It is obvious but I forgot to mention that I don't get the touch id fingerprint icon even after just 5 minutes.

• bmglickman
    bmglickman
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

UPDATE: I deleted the app and re-installed it, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Same issue here. Current version iOS and 1Password app. Prompts for master password every two minutes. No Touch ID button to bypass. How do I get it to only ask for master password after restart?

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

Great Idea. Too bad I decided to follow the suggestion. Now I can't use 1p at all on my iPhone because it needs my TEAM URL and/or my ACCOUNT KEY. That is too bad since I have neither and the agile bits website has no account using either of the 2 email addresses I have been using with them for the past 7 or more years. So I'm stuck. I'm also fed up. I have wasted too much time today on what used to be one of my favorite apps and the one I recommended first to everyone I've ever helped learn to use their macs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bmglickman: I'm glad to hear that reinstalling the app resolved the issue for you. Thanks for the update!

@cwb: 1Password for iOS is available only through the iOS App Store. As such, there is no license. Just install a fresh copy from the App Store (which it sounds like you've already done), and then sync your data from another device or restore from a backup.

You'll only have an Account Key and Team URL if you've signed up for 1Password Families or Teams, and it sounds like that isn't the case.

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    I was about to send you a screen shot showing that I could not get past the sign-on page without a team URL, when I backed up back to the "welcome to 1password" on the opening screen. I had not tried "Use without an account" option because I HAVE an account. This time I tried and was given the choice to sync with dropbox or iCloud. Why would you use that term "Use without an account"? I can't be the only one to avoid that since I DO have an account.

I have just finished syncing and I can see a different security page which looks like it has the settings I want. And it seems to be working now.

So why did this happen? Is this an update? I didn't and still don't see any recent 1p update on the iOS app store. Is this happening on everyone's iPhones? Is the only fix is to delete and re-install the app? If so why isn't there a better way of informing your users.
    When I first searched your site I just found one thread from last year. Later, when I searched for "touch id not working" I still only found a few recent threads. I tried everything suggested there but most of the users problems cleared up easily, I didn't even think about deleting and reinstalling the app until @bmglickman suggested it. My earlier searches didn't find this thread because the title is "prompting for master password" which doesn't include the words "touch ID". Maybe everyone doesn't have a 15 character complicated master password, but I must have had to enter it many dozens of times over the past few weeks. This along with the frustration of spending much too much time without finding a solution has made me an angry user. By the time I got stuck trying to find an account key or team URL, I was really angry.

Hopefully others might find this thread and a "real" solution, although they probably won't find it if they search for "touch Id." And thank you @bmglickman, for updating your post to tell the rest of us the correct solution, unlike the other threads where the AgileBits Team Members suggested "reboot after turning off touch-id", or change your settings even though they were the same settings that worked a few weeks ago.

I'm sure not happy with how complicated everything has gotten with 1p. Maybe you all should pay better attention to the basics.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

One of the problems with computers is that programmers (and the computer) use words in very precise ways that users often do not understand, I don't know what the solution is, possibly more helpful comments.

If you have not joined 1PW for Families or Teams. you do NOT have a 1PW account. You have a program and its data and possibly accounts with Dropbox or iCloud where a copy of your data is stored.

I agree that the current language is likely to confuse people, as many people think that having bought 1PW means that they have an account, which is just not true. I guess AgileBits need to change the wording, adding something like "Use this option if you do not have 1PW for Families or Teams" with the "Use without an account" choice, and possibly also "Use this option only if you have a Teams or Families account" with the other choice.

• Ben
    Options

Right. Having 1Password does not mean you have a 1Password account. A 1Password account comes with a subscription to 1Password for Teams or 1Password for Families. We're working to make this more clear in the interface. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member
    Options

@danco
    Thank you for your response. I was a software designer for 19 years starting in the late 1960's when computers were really still in their infancy. I dealt with luddites who did everything to prove that computers couldn't replace humans. It was always important to make sure that instructions would be understood by anyone using the software. So it would have helped to just have the non-Teams option called "other current or new 1password users."

I also have been using 1p for at least 7 years (probably longer but all my emails before 2010 were lost with a power surge). So I have license information for both Macs and windows, and thought I probably had an account since I paid for the app. Part of my frustration was the aggravation and time I wasted trying to find an account number when the 2 email addresses I have used with 1p support came up as non existent.

But I think the important issue is why the suggestion to delete and re-install the iOS app was so difficult to find and not offered by the AgileBits Team Members who had responded with other suggestions. It is possible that I am one of the few people affected by this, but I suspect that I am not alone. For weeks I didn't have the time to deal with it and just kept plugging in my 15 character master password until I couldn't stand it anymore. If you look at my screenshot above you will see that my settings were correct and I had not changed them, but somehow the way 1p was working had. If something is not working properly, and there is no update on the app store, there should be an easier way to find what to do when I look on the website.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cwb: First and foremost, we really want to avoid telling people to delete 1Password at the first sign of trouble. While it's not a big deal on a Mac to drag an app to the Trash and download a new copy, it's a much more destructive process on iOS because all of the app's data and settings are deleted as well. And especially in the case of iCloud issues, reinstalling 1Password along can't solve that issue since iCloud functions at the system level.

You're right that we need to make things clearer though. After 10 years, it's the first time (with 1Password Families and Teams) that anyone has a 1Password account. And after that length of time, something new like this can cause a lot of confusion simply by virtue of being different from what we're all used to with 1Password. So we've made some changes that will be reflected in upcoming releases of 1Password to help put things in a clearer context, and we'll continue to work to improve it.

I'm really sorry that you had to deal with this frustration in the first place, and that it was difficult to find a resolution. Thank you so much for your feedback on this! There isn't always an obvious solution to a new or unique problem, but we're always available at https://support.1password.com to help in any way we can. And the additional perspective you and the rest of our awesome customers are able to offer helps us to improve as well. :blush:

• Ralph1
    Ralph1
    Community Member
    Options

waiting ... and waiting... and waiting for the iOS-Update which solves the missing fingerprint logon... any Release time???

• Ben
    Options

@Ralph1,

This seems to be your first post about Touch ID issues. Could you please elaborate?

Ben

• Ralph1
    Ralph1
    Community Member
    Options

as written by many users in diffent posts before: after automatic close of 1P there is no possibility to logon via fingerprint. Alsways asking for the master passwort. Before (last versions) there was only to put in the master password after restarting the device. One of yout Team Members wrote the bug is found and will be eliminated in 6.4.1. - isn´t it?

• Ben
    Options

There is a Touch ID related bug that is fixed in 6.4.1 (which will be submitted to Apple today -- but how long they take to review it is an unknown).

You may be able to resolve your difficulty by launching 1Password and changing the Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password setting to 1 hour, and then back to your desired setting.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.