1Password for iOS Keeps Resetting Itself

Options
chris_aok
chris_aok
Community Member
edited May 2016 in iOS

Hello,

You guys offer a great app/service and I'm very impressed with it. Seriously, keep up the great work.
You're literally making all of our lives more secure and safer just by doing this one thing right. So please keep doing it.

I use 1Password for OS X, Windows 10, and iOS.

Today, I would like to address a recurring, serious, and frustrating issue with the iOS app: at various time intervals, the app will reset itself as though this were the first time I installed it; which is never actually the case.

It could take a few minutes, or several hours, but if I close the app, or restart the phone, or even if I do neither of those things, the app resets and presents me with the on-boarding screen

So far, the only constant I have been able to identify is this: from the default configuration 1Password normally has, the only changes I make are: I enable Touch ID, 1Password Watchtower, and change Auto-Lock to 1 Minute.

I leave all others settings alone.

When this originally happened, I tried setting up 1Password again using the QR code scan.

To do this, I would open the OS X app on my Mac, go to Preferences --> Teams --> Add Devices and scan the QR code on the screen with my iPhone 6.

Then, on my iPhone 6, I would enter my Master Password.

Unfortunately, this never works right away: I get an error message saying "Team Member Already Added [...]"

I then proceed to delete the 1Password app from my iPhone 6 and re-install it.

Then, I repeat the previous on-boarding steps and the app is then setup...until it resets again.

It should be noted that after every uninstall, re-install, and successful setup, I receive an email informing me that my account was recently used to sign in from a new device.

However, when I visit my family's URL, and I go to My Profile; under Authorized Devices, I see my iPhone 6 there eight (8) times.

I suspect that's once for every time the app has reset itself since I've been using it so far.

If you have a workaround that you can share with me that would avoid this from happening again, please do.

If you don't have a workaround, please let me know if this is a known issue for which there is a fix being developed.

Also, please let me know if I can provide any additional information that could help you identify and resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1Password Version: 6.4 (640013)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: iOS 9.3.1
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chris_aok: Wow. That sounds like avery frustrating, confusing, and perhaps maddening problem. I can't say that I've seen or heard this reported before.

The only time I've seen similar behaviour was on my old iPhone when I was out of storage space. iOS should clear caches to free some up i instances like this, but if it doesn't happen fast enough the changes may be lost before the app can save them. But that's a real long shot.

If you're still having trouble (and unfortunately it sounds like you probably will), the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

But first, in 1Password Settings, go to Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, and enable App, Crypto, Database, SQLite, and Sync. Hopefully that will allow 1Password to capture some data about what's causing this.

When you send it, just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• chris_aok
    chris_aok
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the follow-up.

I don't think this issue is due to a lack of storage space, as my iPhone 6 reports that there's plenty of available storage space.

I have a lot of credentials (over 300), and I'm noticing the "reset" seems (still testing) to occur whenever the iOS app state changes to "Not running" (as opposed to "Inactive", "Active", "Background", or "Suspended").

My theory is that maybe I'm carrying around more than the app is expected to handle & synchronize at once.

It loads up fine whenever it's setup, but for whatever reason, whenever a low-memory (RAM, not storage memory) condition occurs in iOS, I think there's too much to recall, or there was too much to put away and when I bring the app back to an "Active" state, it only remembers that the Vault was already locally synchronized...but not the Vault contents themselves.

At least, that's my going theory right now.

I'm hoping the diagnostic data will reveal more.

As you suggested, I have enabled the log settings.

I will be in touch.

Thanks again for your help. :)

• l3onhard
    l3onhard
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same problem. This is very frustrating!

1Password Version: 6.4
    OS Version: iOS 9.3.1
    Sync Type: Family

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l3onhard I can definitely see how that would be frustrating, and we'll do our best to get this problem fixed. To quote from @brenty's instructions above, this is the best way for us to gather more information so we can figure out what's causing the issue:

the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

But first, in 1Password Settings, go to Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, and enable App, Crypto, Database, SQLite, and Sync. Hopefully that will allow 1Password to capture some data about what's causing this.

When you send it, just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs.

If you have a chance to do that we should be able to remove this frustration and get you back to 1Password! :)

• boredflak
    boredflak
    Community Member
    Options

I ran into this problem when upgrading my parents to my 1Password family plan this weekend.

I see the requests for diagnostic reports, but we can't get past the "Welcome to 1Password" dialog when the bug is happening in order to send such a report!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@boredflak so you're saying that as soon as you're able to sign in to 1Password Families via 1Password for iOS the app resets?

• boredflak
    boredflak
    Community Member
    Options

These are my steps to repeat the bug:

1. Uninstall 1Password on iOS device
    2. Reinstall from app store
    3. Launch 1Password and see "Welcome to 1Password" dialog
    4. Choose "Sign into 1Password account"
    5. Choose "Scan QR Code" (then do so)
    6. Enter master password
    7. See "Vaults Added" dialog and press "View Personal" option (at this point 1Password is working fine)
    8. Quit 1Password
    9. Reboot iOS device
    10. Launch 1Password and see "Welcome to 1Password" dialog
    11. Choose "Sign into 1Password account"
    12. Choose "Scan QR Code" (then do so)
    13. Enter master password
    14. See "Team Member Already Added" message
  • boredflak
    boredflak
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I followed steps 1-7 above and sent a diagnostic report (email address removed by admin).

• boredflak
    boredflak
    Community Member
    Options

Found a fix. Follow my steps 1-7 above, then go to:

Settings > Advanced > Erase all 1Password Data

After removing all 1Password data & settings from the device, follow steps 3-6 above and all is well.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know about that workaround, @boredflak!

Ben

• l3onhard
    l3onhard
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the suggested workaround. However, the problem remained.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l3onhard: I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble! Have you tried reinstalling a fresh copy from the App Store? If so, please send a diagnostics report as I suggested above. Once we receive that we should be better able to assist you!

• l3onhard
    l3onhard
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times. I have also sent a diagnostic report yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the phone anymore. It's my mom's phone. I helped her with setting up 1Password over the weekend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l3onhard: Ah, understood! I'm not seeing anything from this email address in our system, but if you can give me the Support ID you received we can take a look and figure out a solution that you can pass along to her. Thanks in advance! :)

• chris_aok
    chris_aok
    Community Member
    Options

The issue still occurs under iOS 9.3.2 and with v.6.4.1 (641004) of the app.

To obtain a diagnostics report after a "reset", I created a local vault rather than trying to add an existing one using a QR code scan.

I have emailed the diagnostics report to support+forums@agilebits.com as instructed.

Now, we wait.

Thank you again for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @chris_aok,

I don't see any emails in our inbox from the email address you have registered here on the forums. Could you please let me know what your Support ID is?

Ben

• Shaolo
    Shaolo
    Community Member
    Options

Piling on as a me two.

Updated my Room mates iphone6 and iPad mini 1 yesterday. Checked today and both had been reset in the process described above. Couldn't add family account because it was already added. I deleted the app and started over. Will see if it resets again.

There is no separate non-family account on either machines. I wanted all that data wiped after transferring it to the cloud.

• Ben
    Options

@Shaolo,

Thanks for letting us know. Could you please send us a diagnostic report from the device that is having difficulties? Please be sure to include a link to this thread with the email and then also post your support ID here when you receive it. That way we can 'connect the dots.'

Ben

• Shaolo
    Shaolo
    Community Member
    Options

I won't have access to either device for a few weeks. I will post a report then if it happens again.

• Ben
    Options

Okay, thank you!

Ben

• chris_aok
    chris_aok
    Community Member
    Options

It seems my original theory was wrong.

I think what has been causing this issue is the fact that I had no shared vault for my family. I only had one user and was using only my personal vault for that user.

After I created a 2nd user for my family with a different email address and created a vault that was shared between the two, the app stopped resetting itself.

I think it's possible the app (because it was designed with teams and families in mind) had a hard time dealing with the absence of a shared vault.

At any rate, this is an easy workaround should you wish to attempt it.

I feel confident you guys will patch the bug eventually altogether, but I thought I'd share this for anyone else that was feeling discouraged by this issue.

Keep up the good work, guys!

• Ben
    Options

I think it's possible the app (because it was designed with teams and families in mind) had a hard time dealing with the absence of a shared vault.

Interesting theory! I'll definitely pass it along to our QA team for them to test. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Hi @chris_aok,

I have QA looking into this. Can you please confirm for me this has not recurred for you?

Also they've asked for a couple additional pieces of information.

1) You mentioned you didn't have any shared vaults previously. Did you delete the default "Shared" vault, or were you simply not using it? When you create a 1Password Family or a 1Password Team account it comes with a vault called "Shared."
    2) Did you end up sending us a diangostic report? If not please see Brenty's post here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/304976/#Comment_304976
    If you did / when you do, please let me know what the Support ID from BitBot is.

Thanks!

Ben

• Shaolo
    Shaolo
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff,

I had two users when this happened to me. In fact it was the second user that was resetting. Not the first. The opposite of what @chris_aok was seeing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Shaolo: Can you clarify what you mean by "second user"? That sounds like you were logged into multiple users belonging to the same 1Password Family on your device. I wonder if I'm misunderstanding that, since it shouldn't be possible. The more detail you can give, the better!

• chris_aok
    chris_aok
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@bwoodruff,

Since I created the second vault, and shared it with a second user, the reset has not happened again.

I have even tried provoking it by closing the app and re-opening it, or restarting my iPhone.
    Every time, the app behaves as it should and either asks me for my Master Password, or presents me with a Touch ID prompt.
    I'm seriously relieved to finally be able to enjoy the app as it was intended.

In response to your questions,

1) Yes, within minutes of creating my Family account, I deleted the default shared vault. However, I can't recall if my account creation (and subsequent shared vault deletion) was done on the web, or through the OS X app. I'm 70% sure it was done on the web, but it was over a month ago so I can't recall with certainty.

2) I sent a diagnostic report on May 20th, and my Support ID is #AHT-69383-593. Michael confirmed receipt of my report and replied back to me the same day.

I should mention that if Shaolo does have a shared vault and is still experiencing the reset issue, then I'd like to know: @Shaolo, how many items do you have in your vault? 300? 200? 100? How many items in all of your vaults combined?

Since this issue began, I've pruned significantly and brought the total number of items in my vault from 300+ to a little over 230 entries, making sure to also bring down the number of duplicates (under 100 now) and weak passwords (under 100 now) as well. So it could also be that pruning entries resolved the issue at the same time as I created the second vault and second user.

More testing is required.

I trust your QA are up for the challenge :)

If the issue it isn't the shared vault or the number of entries/duplicates/weak passwords, I have no idea what the cause might be and am just relieved the issue isn't happening to me anymore.

Best of luck to anyone else to whom this is still happening.

Keep up the good work, AgileBits!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @chris_aok! I've passed that information along to QA. :)

Ben

• Shaolo
    Shaolo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, I was referring to the second team member. The first member, myself, never had any issues with resetting. It wasn't until I added a second member that they began experiencing the resets. I don't have access to those devices at the moment, so I can't send a report or see if the vault reset itself again.

@chris_aok At the time the second member, the one with the reset issue, did not have a separate personal vault, only the team vaults. I have 1100 items in my personal vault (which they do not have access to), but the member that experienced the issue had maybe 30?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Shaolo: Thanks for the additional information. We'll get to the bottom of this!

• Valentijn
    Valentijn
    Community Member
    Options

have had this issue for weeks now, hopes this gets resolved quickly..

This discussion has been closed.