item count of folder is wrong

Options
georgexsh
georgexsh
Community Member

as screen shot shows, there are three items under selected folder, but the counter displays two.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @georgexsh,

I'm sorry that folder is displaying the wrong item count!

I've seen a few rare instances of issues like this before, and there might be a problem with that folder. As a test, can you please try this:

• Go to File > New Folder (you can give the new folder a name, or leave it as the default).
    • Choose the folder with the problem.
    • Select all 3 items in that folder (right-click on one item and choose Select All) and drag them to the new folder.

Does the new folder show the correct number of items? If so, you can either move the items back to their original folder to see if it now shows the correct item count, or you can delete the old folder and keep the items in the new folder (and rename it to match the old one).

Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, I'm glad to hear it's showing the correct item count now! Thanks for confirming that solved the problem.

If we could be of further assistance, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @georgexsh,

Let’s take a closer look at your system to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@georgexsh: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: TEI-46471-619

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@georgexsh: Thanks for filling up on this! We've actually released an update just this week with improvements to this, but given that you're still asking about it I wonder if there may be some other edge cases where it isn't resolved. Can you confirm that you're still seeing the same behaviour with 6.5.2? If so, I wonder if creating a new folder and moving the items there will allow it to work normally going forward. Let me know what you find! :)

ref: OPI-884

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @georgexsh,

...a 20 items folder shows 8.

Is that a brand new folder you created? Or is it an older folder you've had for a long time? If it's an older folder, create a new one and move those 20 items to the new folder. Then delete the old folder.

Or if that's a brand new folder you just created (as per Brenty's suggestion) and it shows the wrong item count, let us know. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @georgexsh,

Thank you for confirming that. I suspected that might be the case, as I've seen this happen a few times before. I believe there was a bug in an older version of 1Password which caused folders to show the wrong number of items. For the folders affected by this, moving the items to another folder and back to the first one can solve the problem temporarily, but as the problem is with the folder itself, it can happen again to the same folder.

That bug was fixed a long time ago, but the fix only affected new folders. Unfortunately, old folders created before the bug was fixed can still show the wrong item count. Therefore, the solution for this is to create a new folder, move items from the old folder to the new one, and then delete the old folder. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, as it sounds like you have a lot of folders in 1Password. But you may not need to recreate all your folders - you only need to do that for folders which show an incorrect item count.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that, but the good news is that new folders won't have this problem, so once you replace the old problematic folders with new working ones, you won't need to worry about this again. I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @georgexsh,

The items aren't the problem, so exporting/importing them won't help. But if you're thinking about doing that as a quick & easy way to recreate your folders, you can try it if you want - however, I don't know for sure if that will solve the problem as I haven't suggested it to others who have reported the same bug.

If you decide to try that, please make a new backup of your data first (go to File > Backup from the menu bar in 1Password). If anything goes wrong, you can restore from that backup. After exporting everything from your vault to a .1pif file, you'll need to delete all the items and folders from your vault before importing, otherwise you'll end up with duplicates of everything.

If you try it, we'll be interested to hear if that solves the problem with the folder item count. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @georgexsh! I'm glad to hear that seems to have helped. If those folders start having the same problem as before, you'll need to create new ones manually to replace them, but hopefully that won't be necessary and the export/import method you tried took care of it. Thanks for letting us know!

We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.