1Password doesn't do 'live' updates for a vault synced with Dropbox

Options
stalar
stalar
Community Member

Dear Support Team,

Not sure if that is a feature or a bug. I created a new vault in 1Password on my Mac. In that new vault I want to keep all data for my wife's many different accounts (i.e. logins for online shopping, internet banking etc.) The idea is to sync it to Dropbox and that synced vault file can be read on her MacBook. So I installed 1Password on her MacBook and pointed to that Dropbox vault data when opened app for the very first time. I can see that every time I change samething on my Mac, it is automatically synced to Dropbox and then downloaded back to her MacBook. The only problem is that I cannot see any updates on her MacBook until I lock 1Password (on her MacBook obviously) and unlock again. Is that a bug? Can I not see 'live' updates when I change something on my Mac and then the vault file is synced with her MacBook?

Regards,
Seb

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: OX X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Dropbox sync when 1Password is unlocked

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stalar,

I'm sorry you're having a little trouble with Dropbox sync! Just to make sure I understand the problem: There is a vault that syncs between your Mac and your wife's MacBook (via Dropbox sync). When you make a change to that vault on your Mac, that doesn't appear in 1Password on your wife's MacBook until you or she locks & unlocks it there. Is that correct?

If so, it sounds like Dropbox sync is set up correctly, but I don't know why it would be necessary to lock/unlock 1Password to trigger it to sync the changes from Dropbox. 1Password should be monitoring the Dropbox folder for changes to the sync file. When making a change from one device, it doesn't always appear immediately on another device, but it usually works pretty quickly.

If your wife reboots her MacBook and you test this again, does it work better or does the same problem happen? You can also try restarting 1Password mini to see if that makes any difference: On her MacBook, from the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• stalar
    stalar
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately rebooting both devices (Mac and MacBook) didn't make any difference. Also restarting 1Password mini didn't help. Apart from locking-unlocking vault, I noticed two cases when 1Password updates synchronised Dropbox vault file:
    1 - on my Mac when I switch between vaults -> if I switch to my personal vault and in the meantime I update/add something on my wife's MacBook then 1Password updates that second vault when I switch back to her vault on my Mac
    2 - on either my Mac or her MacBook when mine or her vault file is updated and next update is made on the other device -> let say I update something in her vault on my Mac, I can't see any update on her MacBook but when I change/add anything on her MacBook then I can also see changes I made on my Mac before (hope that makes sense)

And, I've just noticed something very strange and very intriguing:
    the attached screenshot is from my Mac, showing the contents of my wife's vault file, please note 'Date Modified' for 'default' folder 21:36 - this is when last item on her MacBook was modified (file band_9.js).

That should suggest 1Password to sync/update vault and display new contents, right?

But look and this screenshot:

When I navigate back I can see vault file 'Date Modified' 21:35 which is a minute before I made the latest changes on her MacBook.

I've tested that using a text file and it's working fine - Dropbox on both machines updates/syncs files correctly and files in both Finders have the same 'Date Modified'. Also no isses with Excel document.

Any idea why is that happening?

Are you able to replicate that?

• Hi @stalar,

Are you using the Mac App Store version of 1Password? If so, there's a known issue with version 6.2 and dropbox/folder sync in that case where sync won't be automatically triggered based on file change events as they should. We've fixed it in version 6.3 which is in beta and we hope to get out to users pretty soon.

Rick

• stalar
    stalar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

Yes, I'm using the MAS version on both machines:

I'm looking forward to a new update then.

Regards,

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming that, @stalar, and I'm glad Rick was able to chime in with that known issue. Hopefully you can tolerate this until the upcoming release, but I'd like to mention that you also have the option to switch to the AgileBits Store version of the app if you'd like, which is free and easy to do.

Either way, thanks for using 1Password! :)
    ref: OPM-3992

• fjarlq
    fjarlq
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm glad to see that this is a known issue with the Mac App Store version of 1Password, and should be fixed soon.

(It took me a while to find this thread, so I'm replying to bump and summarize it.)

I know of two methods for updating the out-of-date 1Password:
    1. Lock and unlock the vault in the out-of-date 1Password
    2. Quit and restart the out-of-date 1Password mini

Thanks! :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fjarlq,

You can be reassured that it will be up and ready soon! Thank you for sharing the workaround that you've found. Hopefully it won't be necessary for long, in the meantime it will surely help someone.

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• stalar
    stalar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Vee,

I can confirm that 6.3 update fixed the problem with Dropbox sync :)
    Unforunately 6.3.1 caused different problem which I will report in a new post :(

Regards

Thanks for confirming that, @stalar, and I'm glad Rick was able to chime in with that known issue. Hopefully you can tolerate this until the upcoming release, but I'd like to mention that you also have the option to switch to the AgileBits Store version of the app if you'd like, which is free and easy to do.

Either way, thanks for using 1Password! :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stalar,

I'm glad to hear the first issue is resolved but not so happy about the new one. We'll take a look at your other post and see what's going on there! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.