Secure Notes

Options

Would like to read more on Secure Notes section of 1Password. How to use it, suggested tips, capacity . . .

I have a Text document that I need to hide and make secure. i am thinking to see if Secure Notes is a good place to put it.

Peter

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Peter_Pappas: Secure Notes are great because they're so useful for storing all sorts of data securely. I'd say that they're only limited by your imagination, but there are a few caveats.

You can store a great deal of text in a Secure Note, but an item larger than 256KB will not be able to sync properly. Attachments, on the other hand, can be up to 5MB. Depending on the kind of text you're talking about, these may be more than sufficient though. Alternatively, you can split text between multiple Secure Notes.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty.

Thanks for your answer but it didn't give me what i was looking for. Let's assume I don't know anything about Secure Notes. I looked in the documentation to read on it and didn't find anything.

You mentioned:
    "an item larger than 256KB" - what does that mean? What is an item?
    "an attachment . . . can be up to 5mb". Again, what is an attachment? How is this protected inside of 1PW?

Like I said, there is no place I found that gives examples or limitation of what Secure notes really does. If that documentation or places i can read exists, please let me know. In the meantime, my example would be something I am trying to accomplish. If I have a 3 page Word file, what do i do, copy and paste the text into a Secure Note? Okay, then how many pages can I put in there? Again, what if I have been sent a PDF File that needs to be under lock and key? I am thinking that would be an attachment. If so, how does that PDF file get secured?

This is not an ongoing thing. I have a few items (text files and PDF files) that I want secured. How can it be done using my 1PW? Or do I need to buy a "vault" type of programs for 2 or 3 files? Why I am writing is because I tried to look it up and didn't even find Secure Notes listed in the user's Manual when I used the search feature.

Peter

• Hi @Peter_Pappas,

Thanks for contacting us.

Let me put these numbers in different terms. A plain text file (.txt) that's 256 kb large can contain a lot of text. The book 'In the Beginning was the Command Line' by Neal Stephenson can be downloaded as a text file and is less than 256 kb big. It is 36.563 words long.

I would wager that the text you wish to put in the secure note is shorter.

If it is longer, however, you should consider saving the .txt file or whatever file format you wish (.docx, .opt, …) and attach the file to a Secure Note item. You should also use consider using attachments when you require the text to have formatting as secure notes can only handle plain text without formatting.

Our guide 'Working with attachments' will give you an idea of what can be done with them and how to work with these files.

Reading your requirements, I think attachments are a good idea. They are encrypted alongside everything else in your 1Password vault and thus very secure.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any.

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Alex,

That answers a lot of my questions right there :) Thanks.

Just to make sure, if I make a brand new PDF file and it is saved in My Documents - when I attach it to a Secure Note, the original PDF file will become secured. Are there any other steps in this case that i may need to take?

Thanks for bearing with me, I just didn't know how to do it, and couldn't find the documentation explaining it.

Peter

• Hey Peter,

No need to thank me, it's what I'm here for.

Please note that you will have to securely delete the PDF from your PC once it's stored as an attachment in 1Password.
    What happens is 1Password will copy the PDF into its database. The original file remains untouched.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.