Licensing of 1Password for a household

Options

In a previous post there was an answer provided:

"Fast forward to today and we no longer sell two separate license categories. Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household. Licenses can not be transferred or re-sold."

I have not been able to find the detailed licensing documents but it seems to suggest on the store web site that the software is provided for use only by a single person if you buy the perpetual license:

"1Password is licensed per person, not per device. Your single license allows you to use 1Password on as many Mac and Windows machines as you own. Licenses can not be transfered or re-sold.
Examples:

You alone use 1Password on Mac and Windows
You need a single 1Password license."

My situation is that I will be the primary use of 1Password but I have a wife and two children living together in the same household and we want to share certain logon details and also for them to keep their own ID/passwords secure. I have considered a 1Password for Families subscription but I prefer the current mechanism of using Dropbox for vault sharing. We need the licence for both Windows and Mac as we have a mixture of platforms so the option of buying via the Apple App Store (which would then have their Ts and Cs) does not work. It is really quite expensive to buy 4 separate single user licenses and although I like 1Password based on the trials I would need to look at alternative solutions.

Can you confirm if the "single user" license is in fact valid for a household (i.e. it can be shared by family members as suggested above) to be used on devices we use and only for use by the family members - or is it now the case that if I buy a license on the AgileBits store (for Mac+Windows) that although I could then install it on multiple PCs at home that I would be the only person allowed to use it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stephen_lee,

I'm sorry about the confusion with the way licenses work. We've gone through some changes recently so things can get a little bit confusing. The first quote that you state refers to our past licensing model, and is not valid anymore. If you buy a standalone license for Mac+Windows you can install it in as many computers as you want, but only one person would be able to use it.

The scenario that you describe sounds exactly what we had in mind when 1Password Families was created. You'd have four users, each of you could have access to a Personal vault for your own things, plus the option to share information with whoever you want: maybe have a shared vault only between you and your spouse for bank account information while you keep Netflix available for the four of you. It wouldn't matter how many devices you all end up having you'd always have the latest version of the apps. You would also be able to access your data from any computer with the browser app. In case you haven't seen it, this blog post will tell you more about it!

Could you please tell us a bit more of what you don't like about 1Password Families? Why do you prefer to share vaults via Dropbox instead of having an account?

We'll appreciate your answers, we always want to know our users and their needs the best way possible :chuffed:

• stephen_lee
    stephen_lee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response - at least I properly understand the options. I have still not fully understood how 1Password Families works - so I also have a follow up question on whether the subscription gives me the rights to use all the 1Password versions in "traditional" mode with separate vaults continuing to sync via Dropbox.

I have decided that I will take the subscription for a while and see how this goes. If the family don't use it then I will drop back to just me as a single user - should be able to make this decision in a few months.

To answer your question on Dropbox.........

The reason I personally generally prefer a licence (rather than subscription) model and an "infrastructure" of my choosing is really a legacy of having many years of technical experience and therefore I like to have control and choice. Also, DropBox is working happily for me at the moment and I need to keep it anyway for more general file sharing within the family..... Once I have bought a licence then for c. 3 years this is my only cost. With a subscription model even at what sounds like a relatively low cost of 5$ per month this is still at least 180$ over the same time period (could be more if there are price increases) and getting very close to the cost of buying a user licence for 4 people. Once I am bought into the subscription model if the vaults are stored and replicated via your "cloud" then I am left with little choice but to continue with this.

If I bought the OS X licence via the Apple App Store then this seems to be enabled for family sharing but this does not get me access to a Windows licence (and I also can't recall if the version on the App Store has Dropbox support anyway).

• stephen_lee
    stephen_lee
    Community Member
    Options

I also hope that the Windows browser integration will come soon.................... The Windows 10 "modern" app is all very well but I also wish you would include the rights to use the existing 1Password for Windows app in standalone mode as part of the subscription at least until there is a fully working Windows version with Family/Teams support.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Stephen_lee,

The browser extensions support is on the top of our list to implement soon for the new 1Password 6 for Windows beta (runs on Windows 7 and above) and the 1Password Beta for Windows 10 apps.

I also have a follow up question on whether the subscription gives me the rights to use all the 1Password versions in "traditional" mode with separate vaults continuing to sync via Dropbox.

The 1Password apps will continue to support local vaults that you can still sync via Dropbox if you want, the 1Password Families isn't a total replacement of 1Password apps but rather a service that you can enable within 1Password apps with a bonus of having all apps included for free.

You'd still be able to sign into your 1Password Account, add extra local vaults to sync via Dropbox and so on. We've just added support for All Vaults in the desktop beta and in the next beta update for Windows Store version, which will let you see all of your vaults at once, regardless of where it came from.

• stephen_lee
    stephen_lee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarifications. That is very helpful. 1Password is also approved for me to use to store passwords for my work but I am not sure that I want to overlap this with my family account so here the "traditional" mode with Dropbox sync is what I need.

I will also keep my eye on the beta of the new Windows versions and happy to try this out as soon as the browser extensions are in place and ready to test (#1 Chrome and #2 Firefox are the priorities for me and all my Windows machines are Windows 10 now)

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @stephen_lee,

1Password is also approved for me to use to store passwords for my work but I am not sure that I want to overlap this with my family account so here the "traditional" mode with Dropbox sync is what I need.

That's great to hear! We're hoping maybe your company would consider 1Password Teams later when we're ready on Windows, that'll let them manage their employee's data and each employee would have their own account to sign into.

As for work, some of us have two 1Password Accounts, one for work and one for personal and yes, 1Password will let you sign in into more than one account.

I will also keep my eye on the beta of the new Windows versions and happy to try this out as soon as the browser extensions are in place and ready to test (#1 Chrome and #2 Firefox are the priorities for me and all my Windows machines are Windows 10 now)

That's most likely the same list we're going to start with; Chrome, Firefox, and Edge whenever Microsoft releases its docs for it.

This discussion has been closed.