How do change the account key?

mlorton
mlorton
Community Member

I got a new account key. It works on the browser but the MacOs app stubbornly holds on to the old key. Restarting it doesn't help. Deleting it and reinstalling it doesn't help. Short of reformatting the hard-drive, is there an option here?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:changing account key

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forums @mlorton!

I just want to make sure that you're referring to the Account Key used by 1Password Families and 1Password Teams and not the Master Password used to access 1Password for Mac. If so, you should be able to edit it by removing your 1Password account from the Mac app and then re-adding it using your new Account Key, along with everything like your domain, email address, Master Password, and so on.

If you're referring to the Master Password, 1Password for Mac is designed to use the Master Password of the first vault connected to it. So if you were using 1Password for Mac before signing up for 1Password Families or 1Password Teams, and you connect that old vault before you connect your 1Password account, you'll have to use your old Master Password to access the app. To change that, simply connecting your 1Password account to 1Password for Mac before you sync any old vaults to it should take care of the problem 8-)

Please let me know if either of those solutions has helped. If not, we'll figure out the best way to go from here!

• mlorton
    mlorton
    Community Member

I am referring to the Account Key used by 1Password Teams. I went to Preferences (⌘,), selected "Teams". The "Remove Account" button the lower right is grayed out -- presumably because I am not signed it.

The Catholic Church used to refer to heretics as "obstinate in error"; the app seems to have taken the expression to heart. Many apps are not half as good at remembering accurate information.

• @mlorton Oh my, a mention of the Catholic Church sure spices up a thread. :lol: If the 1Password for Mac isn't unlocked, it doesn't show the Account Key — that's correct. You need to unlock it. Are you having trouble with that? It would be good to have some more background on the issue so we can help you out with your exact request. Did your account undergo recovery recently? I noticed you're only a member on the account, so if you lost your Master Password or Account Key, an admin may have recovered your account. This would explain why you can't unlock it right now.

If that sounds familiar, all you need to do is start over so you can sign in with your account again. Before you do this, just remember that any local vaults you may have had prior to getting a team account will be removed as well. If that sounds good, follow the steps in this knowledge base article:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

Then launch 1Password and sign in to your account with your new Account Key and Master Password. Let us know if you have any questions, or if my assumption here is a bit off. :)

• mlorton
    mlorton
    Community Member

Yes, that did it, but do you think you could smooth out the reseting process a bit in a future release? Four oddly named files in three directories; not something I'm likely to be able to figure out for myself.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlorton,

Thanks for following up to let us know that worked for you. Apologies for the slightly convoluted process, and yes, we are actually in the process of adding a "Starting Over" option within the app to make this much easier for users. Great suggestion! ;)
    ref: OPM-3965

• mlorton
    mlorton
    Community Member

Thanks for all your help.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of the team here, you're very welcome, @mlorton! Thanks for popping in to our forums with your question. We're always happy to help. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.