Mac version 6 compatible with Windows version 4?

JimmyTheSaint
JimmyTheSaint
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

New user here. I started on my Mac with version 6, then I tried to open the vault (synced via Dropbox) on my Windows computer running version 4. The Windows version complained it didn't see the synced folder as a 1Password vault. So 6 on Mac isn't compatible with 4 on Windows? Over here it says, "At the moment, 1Password 4 for Windows is compatible with 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 6 for iOS." But I can't find any specific statements about Mac 6's compatibility with Windows 4.

I've seen references to a version 6 for Windows in beta, but I can't find it anywhere. The Windows beta download link indicates 4.6.0.604 just like the regular Windows download link.

OS X 10.11.5 with 1Password 6.2.1
Windows 7 with 1Password 4.6.0.604

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JimmyTheSaint: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows have both used AgileKeychain vaults from the start, and the current version of each also supports the OPVault format as well. And since I used Dropbox myself, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you'd have trouble opening a vault in either app.

Are you perhaps selecting the wrong thing? On OS X, the vault will show .agilkeychain or .opvault as a single "bundle"; whereas Windows treats these like a regular folder. Unless Dropbox has simply not finished syncing the contents, or some contents are missing, you should be able to select it in 1Password File > Open 1Password Vault.

If you're still having trouble, could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

OS X and iOS work fine. The first time I run 1Password 4 on Windows after verifying Dropbox sync is complete, I'm welcomed to three choices, and I choose "I have used 1Password before." I browse to the folder where Dropbox syncs the info, and I select the folder named "default" that's inside the folder named "1Password.opvault." I then get the error message that "default is not a 1Password Vault." Yet I can't open that "default" folder from the file picker, so I presumed the vault is a folder, not a file. What am I missing?

EDIT: oh, wait, after reading your comment more closely, I see: I was drilling down too far. I select the folder one level up, and it worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I browse to the folder where Dropbox syncs the info, and I select the folder named "default" that's inside the folder named "1Password.opvault."

@JimmyTheSaint: Aha! Thanks for mentioning that. That's the problem I was referring to above:

On OS X, the vault will show .agilkeychain or .opvault as a single "bundle"; whereas Windows treats these like a regular folder.

The 1Password.opvault "folder" (as shown on Windows) is your vault. Just select that. Selecting the default folder inside won't include other important files 1Password needs to read the full vault. I hope this helps! :)

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member

yup, it's working, thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.