Do I now have two 1Password accounts?

Options
kriss8
kriss8
Community Member

Today, I've signed up for 1Password for the one month free trial (Families) from my laptop via the 1password website. Once I was logged in, the 1password website directed me to install the app for my Mac. I downloaded the app from the 1password website link, not from the AppStore, but it appears to be the same, I just wasn't charged the $65 charge from AppleStore. When I opened it, it did not ask for my existing credentials, only to create a password, like it was making a new account, although it didn't ask for anything else, just a password.

I installed 1password on my iPhone and it used the QR code and synched with the account I first created online. So it appears that the Mac OS app and the Chrome browser extension are synched and the passwords I save show up, but the website version and iOS app seem to sync with each other but not with the browser extension/OS app. Have I unintentionally created two separate 1password accounts? I cannot access account information from the Mac OS app. to tell if they are one and the same. When I open my 1password account from the Chrome extension, the OS app opens. I can't find any way to find out on the OS app if I'm using the same account as the one I first opened from the 1password website.

I'll be honest, I like the idea of 1Password, but trying to read through a 165-page PDF "How to Use" document is really discouraging and I am confused to the point of wanting to give up. The 1password YouTube videos are not very helpful for a clueless beginner with no idea what to do after an account has first been created.

How do I sync my ios app/browser account with the website/ios account? How do I sign into accounts on other devices, like my Nvidia Shield Console, Xbox, Amazon Fire TV, etc if I have 1password create these strong passwords for my accounts?

Also, I signed up for a family account so my child can have his own, but I'm worried that it is too complicated for an 11 yr old to be able to manage his own settings privately. Should I just have one account and manage his for him? There are times I need to access his accounts from my computer or cell phone.

I really want to like 1password, but I'm finding the set up to be quite complicated. Any advice/support will be greatly appreciated!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS x 10.11.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kriss8
    kriss8
    Community Member
    Options

Edit: *How do I sync my OS app/browser account with the website/iOS account?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @kriss8,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

You only have one account

You are correct: if you download 1Password for Mac from our website, you will not be charged by Apple since you didn't purchase the app on their Mac App Store. If you have a family account, downloading the app from us is exactly what we recommend. You did the right thing. :)

You just need to sign in to your account on your Mac

Now, when you first opened 1Password for Mac, you should have seen a screen like this:

It sounds like you chose Create Your First Vault rather than signing in to your 1Password account. I can understand the confusion since it still says 1Password for Teams. We updated it for the next version to make it clearer that it applies to 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. However, all is not lost.

When you created a new vault, you were only creating a local vault on your Mac. So you don't have two accounts. You still only have the one account, and you can sign in to your 1Password account like this:

How to migrate to a family or team

The important parts there are under Step 2: "Add your account" and, if you have created any items in your local vault, "Import data into your new account". If you didn't create any items in your local vault on your Mac, then you can skip the "Import data into your new account" part. :)

You can use passwords that are easier to type

How do I sign into accounts on other devices, like my Nvidia Shield Console, Xbox, Amazon Fire TV, etc if I have 1password create these strong passwords for my accounts?

If you are generating passwords in 1Password (as we recommend), you likely want to to choose the "Words" option for passwords you need to remember, read aloud over the phone, or manually type. For the devices you listed, you probably need to manually type the passwords. So to make that easier, 1Password has the option to use a series of random words:

1Password for Mac: Generate a strong password

You can manage other family members in your family account

Should I just have one account and manage his for him?

Invite your son to join the family account.

1. Sign in to 1Password.com.
    2. From the Account menu, choose Admin Console.
    3. Click Invitations.
    4. Click the plus button to invite new people to your family.

You can assist him with the process or do it for him if necessary, but this way he will have his own account in your family. Five family members (including yourself) are included in your subscription, so (1) you might as well make use of them and (2) this will ensure that you don't need to give out your own Master Password to your son. And if he ever forgets his Master Password, you can recover his account.

You will both have full access to the Shared family vault. But if you don't want to put anything in there, you can even create vaults to share with him that are read-only. You can edit the items, but he can't. There is a lot you can do, and I fear I've already written too much. Let me know how you get on with the above, and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions. We are always here to help!

• kriss8
    kriss8
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @khad! I appreciate the fast and informative reply. I'm happy to hear I didn't create two accounts by mistake. Phew! I've successfully managed to connect the OS app properly. Just as you had explained, when signing into the Mac OS version, I assumed iPassword for Teams was meant for a business account.

Thank you for the advice regarding passwords for special devices. That is easy enough to do, and a great tip. Thank you also for explaining how the family account works. I have a much better understanding now and I will be sure to keep items in the shared account that we both need access to.

I appreciate your going into detail in order to answer my questions. I can see that there are a lot of features and I'm sure now that I'm properly set up, I should have an easier time figuring out all that 1Password can do.

Thank you so much for your help!
    Kris

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kriss8,

It's my pleasure to help! I'm glad things are working well now. :)

Have a fantastic rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.