Accidentally purchased 1Password on work iCloud account?

Options
robobot
robobot
Community Member

Hi 1Password,

I'm not totally sure what's going on right now, but I think I may have purchased 1Password in the App Store when I was signed in with my work iCloud account without knowing it. I just got a new Macbook for our family and the first thing I went to do was install 1Password from the App Store but it is saying I need to buy it again for $64.99.

1Password is working fine on my iPhone which has my personal iCloud account (the same one that's on this laptop now), but I'm not sure how that is related to the laptop version of the app.

Any advice? Is there anything I can do if that app is associated with my work iCloud account??

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robobot,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! I'm afraid we don't have any control over Apple IDs or what purchases are associated with what IDs. That's controlled entirely by Apple, and as far as I know, it's not possible to transfer purchases from one Apple ID to another.

However, if it turns out you made that purchase with your work Apple ID instead of your personal account, we could help you switch to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. If you can send us a copy or screenshot of the email receipt you received from Apple when you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, we'll be happy to create a license for you for the AgileBits Store version (which won't be tied to your Apple ID).

Just email that to support+licenses@agilebits.com and also include a link to this forum discussion and your forum username so we can "connect the dots". Once you've sent the email, feel free to reply here with the Support ID number you receive in the automated reply from our BitBot assistant, and we'll be able to track down your email to make sure you hear back from someone as soon as possible. Thanks! :)

• robobot
    robobot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for your quick reply! Apple allows "family sharing" so there's a chance I could list my personal Apple ID as a family member of my work Apple ID and still use it that way, though it'd still be a bit inconvenient!

The problem with the email receipt is that I am in the middle of changing jobs, hence the change in laptops (had to give my work laptop back), and no longer have access to my work gmail account. However, I have the password to my work Apple ID and was able to log into iTunes with it to take a screenshot of the invoice in my purchase history. I sent that to the email address you provided. Hopefully that will be as good as the email receipt!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robobot,

Thank you for getting back to us. I didn't find an email from you, did you use a different email account for it? In that case, we'll continue the conversation over email :chuffed:

• robobot
    robobot
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Pilar,

I used my regular email address. According to gmail the email was delivered ~15 hours ago. Also, I got a response from the email bot that says my support ID is #AET-87832-913. Does that help find it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robobot: Yes, thank you!

I'll be replying via email shortly, but I also wanted to mention here for you or anyone else it might help that you can use Apple's Family Sharing to share the Mac App Store purchase with other Apple IDs. :)

ref: AET-87832-913

• robobot
    robobot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robobot, on behalf of Brenty you're very welcome! I see that he replied to your email (if you didn't receive it, please make sure you check any junk folders/spam filters to see if it was caught there). Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions about that, we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.