I just updated my 1password application, and now I am unable to login with my master password. Help!

Options
AndrewThorne
AndrewThorne
Community Member

I updated to a new version of 1password 4, and then updated again to 1password 5. I was able to login using my master password just before updating, but since updating haven't been able to login. It keeps responding as if the password is wrong.

1Password Version: 4 and 5
Extension Version: 4.3.4
OS Version: OSX El Capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I just updated my 1password application, and now I am unable to login with my master password. Help!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AndrewThorne,

I'm sorry you're running into trouble with 1Password after installing an update! I'm sure we can figure this out one way or another.

I think we'll need to know a bit more about what happened when you updated. Do you remember which version you were using before you started installing the updates? The latest version of 1Password for Mac is version 6, which has been out for several months now and is a free upgrade if you have a license for 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac. So if you were prompted to install an update, it should have been for version 6 - I don't know why it would have had you install updates for versions 4 and 5 first. Is it possible you had been using 1Password 3 before? Version 3 included an update prompt that specifically mentions version 4, so that might explain some of the confusion.

Do you currently have multiple 1Password apps on your Mac? If so, where are they located, and what are the exact names of the app files? Please open each one and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menu bar. What is the exact version of each one? (If you're unsure if you have more than one 1Password app, please go to the Applications folder and look there for any apps called 1Password.)

Also, if you have more than one 1Password app on your Mac, are you able to unlock any of them with your master password?

Thanks in advance - once we know more about your current setup and what happened leading up to this, we'll have a better idea how to get it all straightened out. :)

This discussion has been closed.