Really, I can't even use while its frozen?

nickmele
nickmele
Community Member

You think its a good marketing tactic to force me to pay to continue use an app that I have been using for over 5 years just because i decided to try the Team beta? Try again, is a good marketing tactic to get me to stop using this app now.

Good luck.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:frozen-account

Comments

• Jacob
    edited June 2016

Hey @nickmele! 1Password Teams was in beta since November – around six months. That's a solid amount of time to try things out. A frozen account isn't actually that serious, though. We don't take away access to your data or anything like that — you just can't fill in the browser, add, or edit your items. If you want to move them back to a local vault, you're free to do that. You can still copy your passwords if you need them until you subscribe. :) I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

• nickmele
    nickmele
    Community Member

Moving back to the local vault does not help the entire team. Taking away such simple functionality as filling in the browser while we try to decide if we want to pay $4 per user / per month is frustrating. Not allowing us to update incorrect logins, so now our team, albeit small, does not have correct logins for certain applications. I understand 6 months is a solid amount of time to try things out, but 9 days to determine if we want to pay these prices is not a solid amount of time. I do appreciate the discount from $12 to $4 but maybe the pricing should have been announced earlier.

I love 1Password, like I said I have been using it for years. The frustrating part is now you want me to pay $48 per user / per year, when I myself already paid $25 or so to use it for 3 years. Now if I want to use it for another 3 years, you're telling me I need to pay $140+ to use it with my team.

My question now is, what is the difference between teams and just creating a free dropbox account and sharing that between our team? Or the difference between 1Password for Teams and LastPass Enterprise which is half the price?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I love 1Password, like I said I have been using it for years. The frustrating part is now you want me to pay $48 per user / per year, when I myself already paid $25 or so to use it for 3 years. Now if I want to use it for another 3 years, you're telling me I need to pay $140+ to use it with my team.

@nickmele: The alternative is paying for upgrades or additional licenses as needed. Different people will have different preferences, which is why we offer both options. Paying once for a single app and using it until the computer dies is absolutely more cost effective, but it also involves giving up a lot: new features, flexible sharing, and easy setup.

My question now is, what is the difference between teams and just creating a free dropbox account and sharing that between our team? Or the difference between 1Password for Teams and LastPass Enterprise which is half the price?

1Password Teams means each person can be granted (or not) access to individual vaults which just show up in their own accounts without any effort on their part. Similarly, since each team member has their own 1Password Account, you're not required to share your Master Password with them to allow them to access shared data. There are a lot of other access control options, but I think the most important are the ability for Owners and Admins to start a Recovery process for a team member who's "misplaced" their account information. Not everyone will appreciate all the same features, so it's up to you to decide if it provides a value for you and your team over manually syncing individual vaults and separate license purchases for each platform.

I think that a free trial is great. Not everything has that these days. And the extended free beta period was even better. But I can definitely appreciate that what works for some isn't a perfect fit for everyone. While I can't promise that we'll be extending the free period even further, I'd love to hear more about what you think would be fair, and how it relates to your own workflow. Perhaps we can consider adding other options in the future. And feel free to shoot us an email at support@1password.com as we're happy to work with you to find the best balance for your team today. :)

• Geordie W Korper
    Geordie W Korper
    Community Member

FWIW as someone who has a 5 pack license. I feel exactly the same way as the original poster. What is worse is that at least in my case it is not true that I can move my logins back out of the team vault and into my own vault. I am guessing that this is because I created the team vault on my wife's laptop and account but added the items from my own laptop and account. I will test this theory when she gets back from traveling but for now 1Password for teams is holding my account information hostage unless I pay and I am rather annoyed. I still think 1Password itself is a great product though.

• Hi @Geordie W Korper

What do you mean when you say you cannot move your items back out of the team vault? What happens when you try? Are you using the latest version of the 1Password client software?

Ben

• cboy
    cboy
    Community Member

I also agree with this posting.
    Paying $50 annually for the team is STEEP but at least realistic.. when I realized it was $300 for the 6 users A YEAR.. that is preposterous.. I haven't paid that for the value I have already received in my personal license so now the pricing is going to jump 1100% increase?! Freezing even states it should be read-only.. how do I move all my passwords back to my personal vault and delete my teams account completely this was a waste of time that has already cost me too much.

• cboy
    cboy
    Community Member

How do I get a refund for this ridiculous purchase now? Subscription cancelled but not reversed.

• Geordie W Korper
    Geordie W Korper
    Community Member

@bwoodruff The share menu, which has move and copy in it, is greyed out. I just ran check for updates and it says I am up to date.

I want clarify that I can still manually copy and paste passwords from the items and it is just the auto-fill that is disabled. I regret using the term holding my logins hostage. It would have been more accurate to say, disabled one of the nicest features of the product and forced me to use a more cumbersome but still workable process.

• @cboy Thanks for the feedback. An annual subscription is actually a bit less, at just $3.99 per user per month. :) Perhaps that would work better for your team since you are thinking about things for a year. If you're still looking for something else in the price, feel free to shoot us an email at support@1password.com with some info about your team and we'll see what we can do.

As for moving items back, that's definitely possible. Which personal vault are you trying to move them to, though? You will need export permissions on your team vaults to move things, and you'll need a vault outside your account to move items there. This will be named Primary by default. If you used 1Password prior to Teams, you'll already have one of these vaults set up. To move things in 1Password for Mac as an example, select the items you wish to move, choose Items -> Share from the menu bar, and choose the vault outside your account, then click Copy. The Move permission is disabled since it requires write permission (it's removing those items from your old vault, after all). Let us know how that goes!

@Geordie W Korper Let's keep working on this. I think we're almost there. :) Do you have export permissions on the team vault you want to move things from? If you do, make sure you switch to that vault before attempting the move. And as I mentioned above, it's not actually a move but rather a copy. If you're still having trouble, please email us at support@1password.com so we can look into your account specifically and see what's going on.

• cboy
    cboy
    Community Member

@penderworth Copy completed to Primary, now just need fix billing error to close Team account and refund invoice.

• @cboy Great! I see you've also emailed us about the billing issue. We'll get back to you soon. :)

ref: PTC-86265-874

This discussion has been closed.