Helping my company adopt Teams

This discussion was created from comments split from: Add non-users to groups during invitation.

Comments

• roBASS
    roBASS
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Speaking from the experience of being sold on the product and inviting company/team stakeholders who need to be swayed (why you offer a free trial for teams, right?)
    ... it's R E A L L Y hard to get folks to try to come back to try out something they already "tried once". many of the team members i've invited have complained about "being locked out" and for them it hasn't been a confidence inducing experience.

• Jacob
    edited May 2016

@roBASS I know what you mean. That's a bit different than what we're talking about in the other thread, though, so I split your post off to a new thread where we can discuss things.

If your team members are locked out, there's only so much we can do to improve that. We did a lot in the early days to make the Emergency Kit better and help folks understand they need to download it right away and print it when they sign up, but there are still times that just doesn't happen. You can always recover their account as an owner, though, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Do they lose confidence in 1Password Teams because they lost their account details or because they have to ask for help to get them back? I find this fascinating, so I'd love to hear what you think. :glasses:

• roBASS
    roBASS
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

no its not different from the original thread at all. You're not seeing the overlap in concepts. :)

**The point is there is no way currently to designate which vault a new user sees when they are invited to 1password for teams. **
    When a newly invited user logs in for the first time they have access to.... well.. nothing. in other words (the words your potential customers are using because of the impression they are left when they can't see anything) - they are "locked out" and can not do anything useful. fascinating.

To quote the OP:
    _The admin needs to log into the dashboard to assign that person vault/group access first.

Wouls it be possible to pre-add the users to groups and vaults during the invitation process already?_

• @roBASS Ah okay, I see a bit of overlap there. As I mentioned in the previous thread, it's not possible to do this. Simply put, the way that public-key cryptography works does not allow for something like this. An analogy to explain it all would be a bit confusing so I don't want to write that here. ;) Instead, I'll quote myself from the last thread:

When you invite someone, the cryptography keys don't exist until they create their account (set up their Account Key and Master Password). And you have to approve that account so you can grant them access to shared vaults, since that process happens cryptographically (using their new public key). The member's keys then work with each vault's keys in the third step (adding the member to vaults). It's simply not possible to give someone data before they're approved as a member.

I definitely see how this would be useful, but it just isn't possible with the current way things are structured. We'd like to look into it more in the future.

This discussion has been closed.