Reset Master Password on iMac, but not syncing to iPhone app. Why?

Options
Jody
Jody
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

I recently reset the master password several times on my iMac due to my email account being hacked. While I can get into 1Password just fine on the iMac, I cannot enter it on the iPhone. The iPhone wants the one just previous, which I don't remember. I would have thought since I sync via Dropbox, that the iPhone password would update to the one just set on the iMac. How can I get the iPhone to recognize the new password?

Mac OS 10.11.5, 1 PW 6.2.1, iOS 1PW 6.4.1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Jody:

1. In order for the master password change on your Mac to sync to your iPhone you have first to unlock 1Password on your iPhone using the old master password to that the change can sync. Once you have done that you will be able to unlock 1Password on your iPhone using the new master password.
    2. If you no longer remember your old master password you'll need to start over on your iPhone. This knowledge base article will help you:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

That will not affect your data stored either in Dropbox or on your Mac so once you've reinstalled 1Password on your iPhone you should be able to sync again with Dropbox and use your new master password to unlock 1Password on your iPhone.

Stephen

• Jody
    Jody
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Stephen, what I had to do was delete 1P from my phone and iTunes. Because I had the agile.keychain synced to Dropbox, when I downloaded and reinstalled 1P iOS it wanted the old password to sync with Dropbox. The solution was to delete the Dropbox keychain and from my iMac create a new Dropbox vault which I then was able to sync with the iOS 1P with the updated password.

The problem was that in a password-changing panic I reset many passwords in an effort to figure out how my email account on my server was hacked and 1P ended up getting reset 3 times. I couldn't remember the previous one, which was what the iOS 1P had in it's memory, and apparently was the one synced to the Dropbox account. At any rate a clean flush and restore solved the issue. Thank you for your response.

• I'm glad you were able to sort that out. With that many password changes it would have been really challenging for us to work through that.

Please let us know if you run into anything else.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.