First run on new Mac gray screen

Options
ricktaylor
ricktaylor
Community Member

On a shiny new MacBook (no previous installations of anything) I have done the following:

1. Installed DropBox (and let it sync my vault)
  2. Installed 1Password 6.
  3. Launched 1Password

Problem:
1Password launches, but what looks like should be the first run screen is totally blank. Just gray. No options to do anything at all.

I was expecting it to find the DropBox vault, let me select it, and I'm off and running. But alas, I only have the ugly gray screen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, kb:starting-over, kb:faq, kb:trial-expired, kb-search:blank first run screen

Comments

• Hi @ricktaylor,

That's no good! I'm sorry to hear this didn't work as expected. The best thing for us to do would be to get a Diagnostics Report which will hopefully point us towards what's going on and can work from there on getting it fixed up for you. Email it to support+forums@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread so that we know what we're looking for. You should receive a response nearly immediately from our support system with a support request id. If you could post that on this thread, it would help us jump between the two systems.

Thanks

Rick

• gordon_king02
    gordon_king02
    Community Member
    Options

I have this too. Fresh install of 6.3 on MacBook Pro El Capitan. I've run diagnostic and sent link as discussed, referring to this conversation.

• gordon_king02
    gordon_king02
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Just an update, I don't know how much longer, but when I came back to the screen it had populated with the create new vault open vault dialog.

ref: BIQ-99385-936

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gordon_king02,

Thank you for letting us know. Is 1Password behaving normally now for you or are you still experiencing some issues? Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

• hiredgoon
    hiredgoon
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I am having the same issue. Brand new Macbook Pro, fresh installs of Dropbox and then 1password. This is what occurs:

1. Blank grey box on first launch (or clicking through Window > 1Password)
    2. No "Preferences" available in 1Password menu
    3. Double clicking license file launches app and confirms successful registration and presents the vault unlock screen, but any activity causes app to freeze.

I have tried uninstalling, reboots and everything I can to get this working. You can see a screencast video of the process here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubpin5opuzimblc/1password error screencast.mov?dl=0

UPDATE: For some unknown reason, it all just started working perfectly. I'm tempted to delete this post but I imagine that other people will have this issue in the future. It's a bug that should be fixed because it's a terrible first-user experience.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hiredgoon,

I'm sorry to hear that you got into some trouble with 1Password. Thank you for the video showing us what you were experiencing, this will help us dig into this and solve it. It sounds like you're up and running with 1Password now, which is great news! If you need help with anything else we're always here to help! :chuffed:

• stillmoms
    stillmoms
    Community Member
    Options

I had this exact same problem on a new 12” Retina MacBook. Could not get the version from Agilebits’ site to work properly. Downloaded the Mac App Store version on a whim and found it worked fine. Got all set up and signed into my 1Password for Families account and whatnot, and decided to quit, delete the MAS version and re-download from Agilebits for the more timely updates. Bam, same problem, again, despite having successfully set everything up. I’m back on the MAS version for now until this can be figured out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stillmoms,

While there is occasionally a bit of a delay for approval of updates in the Mac App Store, we do our best to release updates concurrently through both the Mac App Store and the AgileBits Store, so there’s nothing wrong with sticking with the Mac App Store version if everything is working smoothly for you now.

If you’ve removed the AgileBits Store version and are no longer seeing this issue, I doubt that a Diagnostics Report from your machine would provide any clues for the team, so there’s nothing that you need to do (other than reporting the issue here). As you can see from earlier in the thread, our developers are investigating this and we’ll do what we can to have it resolved soon.

Thanks for the report, and for letting us know what worked for you!

• EmperorHK
    EmperorHK
    Community Member
    Options

Had to reinstall El Capitan and start from scratch. Downloading 1Password 6 from your website as instructed, starting the App and coming up with a all-grey screen. No way to select any options. As I have a family license for the MAC I tried to open via the license file which didn't work either.
    What's going on?
    My Macbook is only running Dropbox and El Capitan at the moment, otherwise empty machine.
    Thanks for the help

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EmperorHK,

Sorry to hear you're also running into this strange issue! We're not yet sure why that's happening to you and the others in this thread, but we'd like to figure that out and help get things working as soon as we can. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• EmperorHK
    EmperorHK
    Community Member
    Options

Done!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it! We'll follow up via email to keep the conversation in one place :)

ref: MUQ-84747-969

This discussion has been closed.