Safari keeps popping up spontaneously w/"Sign in to 1Password - Password Manager and Secure Wallet"

Options
tekknick
tekknick
Community Member

Starting yesterday on all of my Macs, Safari keeps spontaneously popping to the foreground. This happens even if I quit Safari. It relaunches itself. At this very moment as I write this in Chrome, it's happening about every 20 seconds. The URL that is opened is https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/auth2?oauth_token=XXXXX. I don't understand what caused this. The certificate is valid, so I know the page is legitimately hosted by Apple, it doesn't make any sense to me how Apple's site would present a 1Password message so I don't feel comfortable entering my credentials to see if that makes the madness stop. I haven't installed any 1Password software updates in at least several weeks.

Mac OS X 10.11.5

Safari 9.1.1 (11601.6.17)

1Password 6
Version 6.2.1 (621002)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 6.2.1 (621002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud (Primary) and Dropbox (Additional)
Referrer: forum-search:safari spontaneously asking for password

Comments

• tekknick
    tekknick
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Also, neither disabling the 1Password extension in Safari, nor quitting 1Password Mini solves the issue.

• tekknick
    tekknick
    Community Member
    Options

Coincidentally I was just presented with a 1Password upgrade dialog so I've now upgraded to Version 6.3 (630032). Upon doing so, adding to the strange behavior, the following modal dialog was presented by the 1Password application:

• tekknick
    tekknick
    Community Member
    Options

Installing the update has stopped the incessant Safari launches. I gather it's safe to enter my credentials, but that dialog message could be improved. Something like "Upon pressing OK, Safari will launch so you can enter your credentials."

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@tekknick

From the appearance of the message and the pop up. You appear to be syncing a vault through iCloud. Specially that vault is synced through the website version of 1Password and not the Mac App Store version. The Mac App Store version uses native CloudKit, and the website version uses an API. If you remember iCloud syncing was originally not allowed except for App Store versions. That API allowed 1Password to open iCloud syncing up to its entire user base.

The first image you posted is of the same type I saw, when beta testing the iCloud syncing through the website version of 1Password during the authentication process.

Open your 1Password preferences and look at your primary vault under syncing. * The primary vault is the only vault available to sync through iCloud. Check the last synced date. I am willing to bet it has not synced in a period of time due to an expiration of the credentials.

It could be as simple as you changed your iCloud password and 1Password needs you to re-authenticate. It could have been something Apple reset on there end. Likely due to security upgrades.

Does any of the above seems familiar to you? Hopefully. If not one of the staff will be along soon.

Edit:
    I also reloaded my primary vault into iCloud and was presented with a duplicate screen as you see above and the same url.

• tekknick
    tekknick
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Indeed, it had not sync'd in a day. I didn't change my iCloud password, no. Signing in has solved the issue. Syncing has resumed. It was just a poor user experience. Thanks.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've moved this to the Mac forum, as syncing via iCloud doesn't have anything to do with 1Password Teams :)

This is a known issue that was caused by the expiration of the token used to allow syncing via iCloud. You can learn more here. Hope that clears everything up! 8-)

This discussion has been closed.