Families/Teams Account recovery mail?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

Hi

When Agilebits talks Accounts, I hope there is a provision for recovery email. Is that possible? I haven't tried it, so please pardon my ignorance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but here's the gist about recovering a 1Password account:

When you sign up for 1Password Families you'll be asked to designate someone else as a family organizer. That person has the ability to start the recovery process, which will generate a new Account Key, email the affected user, and prompt them to create a new Master Password. Then voila, they can view their data! :yum:

AgileBits cannot help you regain access to a locked account. So if you forget your Master Password or lose your Account Key there's nothing we can do. This is by design: It ensures that we don't have access to, and could not help someone else access, your information. This is why it's important to save the Emergency Kit generated alongside your account and to designate family organizers.

I hope that answers your question! 8-)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott,

I happen to be the sole 1Password user. These things are perhaps incomprehensible to others. :(

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem just to clarify: Are you using 1Password Families by yourself, or are you using the standalone apps? I'm trying to better understand your original question so I can help get the answer you're looking for :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. To answer your question, I currently use 1Password 6 MAC, Windows and iOS for myself and family members who are nearly tech illiterate, it's mostly for myself.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem OK, understood.

In that case I think the confusion arises from the 1Password account term. That's something you only have if you sign up for 1Password Families or 1Password Teams. That's why my previous response was centered on how to recover an account via those services :)

So far as recovering your 1Password data is concerned, there's no way to do that with the standalone products. If you forget your Master Password you'll have to start over with a new vault. That's why it's recommended that you pick a Master Password you can remember -- I'm guessing that since you're using 1Password on multiple devices that won't be a problem!

Please let me know if that helps clear things up 8-)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott, Thanks for the explanation! I'll wait a bit longer for Families/Teams to settle down a bit!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I'm glad nmott was able to help. Honestly the most confusing thing about 1Password Families/Teams is that it's different from the 1Password we're used to in a few key ways:

• The data is stored on the server.
    • Each family member can have a 1Password Account to login to, so they can login to access their data from various devices — even from a desktop web browser.
    • Vault permissions can be easily assigned, with no action taken on the part of the recipient: it just shows up in their account.

Certainly there's more as well. Even if you're not sure it's something that's a good fit for you, or...actually, especially if you're not sure, the best thing to do would be to sign up and play around with the free trial yourself. It's difficult to talk about something new in the abstract, so seeing it yourself I think will satisfy your curiosity. I always love the questions you ask, and of course if you have any more we're happy to answer them. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Re: Families/Teams Accounts @Brenty,

I realise that it's $5/ per month. If none of my family or friends have any 1Password Accounts, how many accounts am I allowed to set up per user, and do the accounts expire? I wouldn't want to end up paying more than necessary!

https://1password.com/teams/

https://1password.com/families/

What is the cost of teams?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If none of my family or friends have any 1Password Accounts, how many accounts am I allowed to set up per user, and do the accounts expire?

@wkleem: I'm not sure I understand your question. if you sign up for 1Password Families, you can invite 4 others, and they are included in your subscription. 1Password Teams is more expensive, since it has more granular access controls. You can belong to multiple 1Password Teams/Families, but I recommend finding someone else to pay for some of them. ;)

But in all seriousness, a 1Password Account does not expire, but if your subscription lapses you will not be able to edit data in your account (though you'll still have access to it). Does that help? :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Although I have an issue, being the family geek, nobody else is going to sign up, invitation or no invitation! :)

• Jacob
    Options

@wkleem Well keep pestering them about it. Seriously. My parents love 1Password Families and they are by no means techies.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll try.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

We designed 1Password Families to help more people take advantage of the convenience and security of 1Password, and there are some big benefits for the less technical members of your family:

• Account recovery If someone in your family forgets their Master Password, any owner can initiate the recovery process to ensure that their data is not lost for good. This is something that is not possible using the 1Password apps alone.
    • Instant access to your data Because sync is handled by 1Password, once you sign into your 1Password account on a new device, all your data from all of your vaults in that account will be available to you immediately. I know for my parents, this is a lot simpler than walking them through the process of finding a file in Dropbox and manually adding it to the app.

There’s more, but I hope this gives you an idea of how 1Password Families could make security simple for your family. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

If you don't mind me asking, Is Families/Teams the replacement of 1Password Anywhere which is now retired? Are there any plans for a 1PasswordAnywhere in another form?

• Ben
    Options

No plans at this point. I wouldn't necessarily say that 1Password Families or 1Password Teams is the "replacement" for 1PasswordAnywhere -- at least that wasn't the intention, but those services do offer web access to your 1Password data (in a much more usable form that 1PasswordAnywhere ever did) and so they may be the closest thing to a replacement that we'll see.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben.

I'll be happy to try my old, neglected Nokia 808 on 1Password Families or Teams. :) I wrote about a 1Password Portable (USB) some time ago. Families/Teams wasn't exactly what I had in mind but I take my chances. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cool. Let us know what you think! :chuffed: :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Assuming that the 1Password site isn't down, I will have to say that 1Password.com is inaccessible from my 4 year old Nokia which relied on SSL3. It appears I am out of luck.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Ah, yes... :(

Thanks for following up on this. 1Password.com requires the browser to support a recent version of TLS, since older protocols have known security vulnerabilities that can be exploited. This is a handy site to check your browser's capabilities:

https://www.howsmyssl.com

While we won't be reducing the site's security to accommodate older browsers, hopefully you have other devices which are more up to date.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the site Brent.

However, I ran the how's my SSL in Mobile Safari for iOS 9.2. and it displays Bad. Running it on Win7 latest Chrome version passes. It would appear the mobile browsers aren't particularly desirable, unless they aren't properly configured by default?

• Ben
    Options

Mobile Safari should be okay. I'm able to login to my 1Password Family account using it. Other mobile browsers may not be as advanced. Apple is pretty well on top of Mobile Safari, as far as mobile browsers go.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Is it acceptable to post How's my SSL results here? Presumably, everyone on Mobile Safari or any other iOS browser are seeing the same results? Mobile browsers have insecure ciphers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: On iOS, all browsers are using the Safari engine, so they should have identical results. And as far as Safari on iOS and Firefox/Chrome/etc. on other platforms, as far as I know they are using current cyphers, provided the OS and the browser itself is up to date. There are two areas you'll run into issues with 1Password Families/Teams:

• Browser/OS combinations (since often the browser will rely on the OS for its cypher suite) that have been abandoned, either by the OS provider, hardware manufacturer, cell carrier, or some combination of those (for example, Android phones stuck on Jelly Bean).
    • Mobile browsers that are not supporting the latest web standards, most significantly WebCrypto.

All other things being equal, the major browsers under active development (i.e. not IE or Safari for Windows) all have support for WebCrypto and current cyphers (such as TLS 1.2). But when they're ported to non-Mac/PC platforms there are sometimes compromises.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks Brent

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Assuming that Agilebits actually looks at these things, :) What ciphers are different between iOS versions or sub versions? For example, one of my iPhones have iOS 7.1.2 and another has 9.2/9.3

Will Families/Teams work on a 4 - 5 year old iPhone?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Assuming that Agilebits actually looks at these things, :)

You have responses from five AgileBits employees in this thread, I think it's safe to say that we look at these things ;)

What ciphers are different between iOS versions or sub versions?

That's a good question. I'll ask the rest of the team.

Will Families/Teams work on a 4 - 5 year old iPhone?

Your 1Password account can be added to any iPhone running the latest version of 1Password for iOS.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @nmott,

The latest version of 1Password for iOS 7 was 1Password 4.5 which was why I asked about Families/Teams support on older devices.

Thanks for the reassurances.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Indeed, and just to be completely clear for anyone else visiting this discussion, 1Password Teams/Families was introduced with 1Password 6. This requires iOS 9, OS X Yosemite, or later. Android is a special case, since 1Password Teams/Families support requires Lollipop or later due to encryption requirements. The app itself, however, can still be used on KitKat without 1Password Teams/Families. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password for Families/Teams read only mode, does it still sync or will the data become frozen until the subscription is restarted?

This discussion has been closed.