Frequent request for master password.

Norman K. Hester
Norman K. Hester
Community Member

After updating to 6.3 I find that 1Password(mini) is frequently requesting master password even though no restart has occurred. Solution?

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Frequent master password request after 6.3

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Norman K. Hester,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

There are a couple reasons that might be happening. If it just started after an update, my first guess is that you might have multiple copies of 1Password on your Mac. In that case, you may be seeing 1Password mini from one copy and the main 1Password app from another copy. However, the 1Password app should detect this and help you resolve the problem in that case.

The other reason might be your auto-lock settings (Preferences > Security). I'm not sure why they might have changed without you knowing about it, but it might be good to double-check that they are set to best accommodate your workflow.

Personally, I disable all of them except "Lock on sleep". That way, 1Password stays unlocked all day long while I am actively using my Mac while working. Since I have a MacBook Air, I can just close the lid and 1Password locks because that puts my Mac to sleep. :)

But you can adjust them to your liking. Does that help resolve things?

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member

Thanks Khad, I suspect your 2nd suggestion may have held the answer: All of the Auto-lock options except the last one were checked. I've changed it to appear as you've indicated. Will report back if this fails to solve the issue! Again, thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Norman K. Hester,

On behalf of Khad, you're welcome! Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with :chuffed:

• jrd4849
    jrd4849
    Community Member

I have a similar problem with 1PW 6.3. 1PW auto locks when my display (not the computer) sleeps. The only security option for auto-lock that I have set is "Lock on sleep" which I assume means when the computer sleeps.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@jrd4849 That's a tough balancing act. Previously we had it set to auto-lock when the computer itself slept; a recent update made it so it auto-locked when the display slept because that's what most people expected from the app. (I suspect that most people think a laptop goes to sleep as soon as their display does. It's too bad Apple got rid of the little "breathing light" indicators on its MacBooks!)

• jrd4849
    jrd4849
    Community Member

Well I prefer 1PW on my desktop to stay unlocked until the computer sleeps. It would be nice to have an option in the security prefs to defeat this 'feature' .

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

That's good to know, and I appreciate the feedback! 8-)

• TomInMuc
    TomInMuc
    Community Member

I also want back the old option.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• willpold
    willpold
    Community Member

I too am finding this problem. Does the option "Lock on sleep" in the Security Preferences now mean "Lock when the display sleeps" instead of "Lock when the computer sleeps"? That's certainly not what I understand from the User Guide: "1Password will lock when your Mac sleeps".

I wonder where is the data to back up the statement "because that's what most people expected from the app". Did you really get more than 50% of your users to say that is what they expect? You didn't ask me what I expect.

I would like to see the first option on the display preference labelled "Lock on computer sleep" and the second option labelled "Lock when screen saver activates or display sleeps". The actions can then reflect that. I consider it a better grouping than including "display sleep" with "computer sleep"

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @willpold,

Thanks for your feedback! To clarify a bit, as of version 6.3, if you have "Lock on Sleep" checked, 1Password will lock if the display sleeps or if the Mac sleeps. But I understand that you'd like more granular control of that, so I've let our developers know that you (and a couple of the posters above) would like display sleep and system sleep to be separate auto-lock checkboxes.

And I also want to thank you for pointing out that the User Guide now needs to be updated to reflect the new change. I've shared that request with our documentation team.

Again, thank you for speaking up! We may not ask each user individually what they prefer or expect out of 1Password, but we always appreciate it when they take the time to tell us, and we're always listening and looking for ways to make 1Password better for more people. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-4166
    ref: AKB-517

• vjl
    vjl
    Community Member

I too am dismayed by this major change in 1Passwd that was not documented in the release notes. I sleep my display dozens of times a day and it is protected by my user password. Now I have to type my master password for my vault too. This has resulted in me disabling the feature to lock the vault upon computer sleep, even though I never sleep my computer! [it sleeps only if running on battery for my laptops, or if i reboot the desktop and don't login right away]. A display sleep is not the same as the computer sleeping and the documentation should clearly show this, and it should be an option to secure the vault with either/or, not force it. In the end, the vault is less secure now because if I am on battery and the laptop sleeps, the vault will be unlocked upon waking; though I do keep my laptop such that no user is ever auto-logged in, so I guess it is not less secure, but there's one less password one has to know if one is to gain access to my vault while my computer is asleep.

So I vote for either returning to the prior behavior of computer sleep and not display sleep, or splitting the option into 2 - lock on computer sleep checkbox and lock on display sleep checkbox.

Thanks for considering this.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@vjl I'm sorry about your frustration.

The documentation did note this. I quote:

Lock on Sleep now takes into consideration display sleep and not just Mac sleep. {OPM-1160, OPM-3682, OPM-3934}

As for this:

So I vote for either returning to the prior behavior of computer sleep and not display sleep, or splitting the option into 2 - lock on computer sleep checkbox and lock on display sleep checkbox.

Noted!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I had 1P set up to my liking, and rarely had to unlock it. Then I decided I should change the settings to lock after a certain time. I remembered why I did not like that, and removed that setting. But it does not matter - 1P is now requiring frequently unlocking, where before this intervention on my part, I did not.

Why is 1P requiring frequent unlocking?

Here at the Auto-Lock settings:
    Enabled - lock on sleep (but my computer rarely sleeps, so that is not it)
    enabled - lock when screen saver is activated (screen saver never activates)
    all other check boxes unchecked.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @jasimon9,

Thanks for posting your question here, and for including your auto-lock settings. I've merged your post into a related thread on this subject.

The change in behavior you're seeing was caused by this change in the app, from the v6.3 release notes:

• Lock on Sleep now takes into consideration display sleep and not just Mac sleep. {OPM-1160, OPM-3682, OPM-3934}

So, regarding your settings:

Enabled - lock on sleep (but my computer rarely sleeps, so that is not it)

I'm guessing that is it actually, as 1Password now locks when your display sleeps. I hope this clears things up a bit!

• laca
    laca
    Community Member

Let me join the others in expressing my desire to either return to the old behaviour or adding a new option that would disable locking on display sleep.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @laca,

Thank you for writing to us and giving us your opinion on 1Password, I've added your comment to our tracker! :chuffed:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

@Vee,

Thanks for clearing things up.

It would seem that a better solution would be to have two separate settings, which your team probably considered. Or at least change the caption to "Lock on display sleep and system sleep". That would communicate better, plus also garner you lots of input on having the separate setting!

For me, I now have to uncheck that setting to reduce unwanted annoyance. But then I lose the function on actual machine sleep.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasimon9,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and for the confusion this has caused! I agree, I think it would be helpful to at least give that setting a better description. Or perhaps we'll be able to make that into two separate settings. I can't make any promises one way or the other, but I will certainly forward your feedback about this to our developers.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know. If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

I just wanted to chime in here and give a differing perspective. Contrary to some of the comments on this thread, I am strongly in favor of having my 1Password vault lock when my display sleeps. When I jump up unexpectedly or am distracted by something away from my computer, it's helpful to be able to glance back and know that if my display is off, then my vault is protected.

Otherwise, I would need to walk back to it and manually check and secure it, and what a pain that would be.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, but that could be an option separate from locking on computer sleep.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @EnerJi,

Thank you for your input and telling us how you prefer to use 1Password! We always like to know how our users like to use 1Password and what you all want to see in it. On a personal level, I must say I am with you! I'll add your comment to our tracker as well to keep in mind if there's a change in the future :chuffed:

• ssgelm
    ssgelm
    Community Member

I'd like to add that separate options for display sleep and full sleep would be greatly appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• mttransplant
    mttransplant
    Community Member

+1 for separating lock on computer sleep from lock on display sleep.

My work installs profiles on all institution-owned machines, which enforce entering the login password after the screensaver activates or the display goes to sleep, so I find myself having to enter two passwords every time I return to my computer.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! I'll be happy to forward your feedback to our developers.

• TomInMuc
    TomInMuc
    Community Member

And now there is an update and still no solution!!! I am angry!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TomInMuc

I'm sorry that you're frustrated about this, I hope that you enjoy the other features of the update of 1Password :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TomInMuc: Don't forget that you can customize your security preferences in 1Password. We won't ever offer every option that is requested, but perhaps we can add some additional options in the future.

• ssgelm
    ssgelm
    Community Member

@brenty To be clear this is not a new feature request but a fix for a regression that was recently introduced.

This discussion has been closed.