1Password in dock is different version than 1Password in Safari, but only 1 copy in apps

Options
bevhludlow
bevhludlow
Community Member

I have an icon for 1Password in my macbook's dock, Version 3.8.22 (build 32010), but another version, in Safari's Toolbar, Version 3.9.20. I also use the iPad (6.3.1) and iPhone (6.4.1) 1Password apps. I only have one version in my apps folder, the Version 3.8.22 (build 32010). How do I get them all to place nice together? Not sure how this all got so out of whack, so afraid to mess things up further; thought I was pretty good about updates. Sigh.

I synchronize, usually successfully, through 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, but lately, I have lost a couple of password entries completely, and others do not seem to be updating correctly, so some passwords have been out of date.

I like having the 1Password app in my doc, as I can open a window and keep it open while I use the info shown, particularly in the secure notes area, and not have to rely on having the Safari window open to access that way. (That ever closing window is very annoying on my iPhone and iPad, but I can't find how to not have to reenter the password every single time. I used to be able to keep it open for awhile. Is this no longer a possibility?)

I just want things to work flawlessly as they used to. It's pretty scary when I rely so heavily on this app when it doesn't always save the current information.

Thanks for your help

1Password Version: 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password in dock is different version than 1Password in Safari, but only 1 copy in apps

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bevhludlow,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for any confusion.

There are two different parts of 1Password: the app and the browser extension. They are updated separately, so they have different version numbers. But you are using the correct version of both of them for 1Password 3.

Can you tell me where you saved a password…

• iPhone
    • iPad
    • Mac (in the app)
    • Mac (in your browser)

…and where you are not seeing it show up? (You can use that same list.)

Obviously, you should be able to save a password in any of those places and it should show up in all the others, but if there is a problem somewhere, knowing where things are failing will help us narrow it down and resolve it. :)

• bevhludlow
    bevhludlow
    Community Member
    Options

Usually the 'not saving' occurs when I enter it on the iPad. Sometimes the user name on a new site doesn't get saved by 1password, but more than once I've updated a password and it was not updated in the app neither on the device nor on the MacBook. The worst was when my bank info completely disappeared. Luckily, I'd written the info in a secure note at one point so was able to retrieve the information. I don't think I've ever had trouble with the MacBook saving. The mobile app is much more difficult to use.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bevhludlow,

Thanks for getting back to us! It sounds like we’re potentially looking at two issues here: items are not being saved as you expect them to be, and some items and not syncing correctly between all of your devices.

Saving items

Could you tell us a little bit more about how you are saving and updating items on your iPad? If you let us know step-by-step what you’re doing, it will be a lot simpler to determine where things are getting tangled up. You can refer to our User Guide instructions for creating items and editing items and let us know if your steps look at all different.

Syncing

Regarding sync, I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same Dropbox account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that the path to your keychain file is in Dropbox (in 1Password’s Preferences > General)
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS devices
    • Confirm that both your Mac and iOS device are reading from the same file path in Dropbox.
  • bevhludlow
    bevhludlow
    Community Member
    Options

Just had another issue of 1Password not syncing my changes so now I can explain better what is, or is not happening.

I had created a user name and password while working on the iPad. The user name was originally entered as an email address, and that was not acceptable. Still on the iPad, I edited the user name to remove the @ portion, and saved the changes.

The method of editing I had used was to click on edit, made the changes and clicked save. The new user name was saved correctly on the iPad (and still shows correctly on the iPad). Today I tried to log in to that account from my macbook, and it 1Password still shows the old email address as the user name.

All of the syncing things you mention are as they should be. As far as I can tell everything syncs through 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox.

• Hi @bevhludlow ,

I'd like to get some more information from you. First, try making a change to that login item again, and save. The change could be something irrelevant like adding a word to the notes field. Anything to cause a change. Then wait a few minutes and confirm it hasn't changed on the Mac. Then, I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Also, please include the date and time you made the change above.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Regards,
    Kevin

• bevhludlow
    bevhludlow
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to take so long to get back on this; life got crazy. Problem seems not to have resolved itself (sigh). Although it does appear that the user name has finally been updated after several days, the note I added from my iPad had not appeared on my Mac version several minutes later. Aha! It has now been about 15 minutes and my note does appear. Of course, things want to work now that I'm trying to find out why they don't! Perhaps the diagnostics will show what is going on; otherwise, I'll just have to hope that things 'just work.'

[#EYC-93985-446]

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sending that over @bevhludlow. I found your message in our system; we'll follow up there to keep the conversation in one place :chuffed:

ref: #EYC-93985-446

This discussion has been closed.