Need 2 clicks to open Safari.

Options
CaptainSlocum
CaptainSlocum
Community Member

Safari 9.1.1 Mac OS 10.11.5 1Password 6.2.1, extension 4.5.6. I need 2 clicks to open Safari. 1st click on tray icon nothing happens however long I wait although the little black dot appears next to it. Also Google searches and subsequent downloaded sites can take much longer than in Firefox or Chrome. Un-enable 1Password extension and all works fine as it should - one click to open Safari, faster searches. 1Password extension installed on Firefox and that does not have the problem. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 6.21
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension causing problems

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CaptainSlocum,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with 1Password. There a few basic things I’d like to check first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting.

First, I notice that you’re on version 6.2.1 of 1Password. We recently released version 6.3, with a lot of great fixes. I don’t know that it will help what you’re seeing, but just to make sure we’re all on the same page, make sure you’re updated to the latest version and see if there’s any difference in behaviour.

Now, I’ll admit, I rarely click on the icon in the menu bar, I’m a big fan of keyboard shortcuts. If you use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open 1Password mini, do you experience the same delay? Do you use 1Password in any other browsers? If so, do you see the same behaviour there, or is Safari the only culprit?

Finally, have you restarted your computer recently? Sometimes a fresh start makes a big difference.

• CaptainSlocum
    CaptainSlocum
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, thanks for the prompt reply. The 6.3 update has just appeared on the Mac store since earlier this morning, so I have downloaded that.

However it makes no difference to the problem. I didn't really expect it to, as the problem is not with the 1Password app, that is working fine, it is with the Safari extension. Yes the keyboard shortcut works but it only opens 1Password, not Safari. (I don't use keyboard shortcuts for opening apps anyway, with over 60 apps I use regularly it would not be feasible)

I think we may be at cross purposes here. There is no problem with 1Password at all - it is the extension for Safari that is the problem. As I said in the original post, the extension for Firefox works fine, and Safari opens properly if the Safari 1Password extension is unticked. (BTW, I have uninstalled all my other extensions to be sure they were not the problem). I have hundreds of bookmarks I use in Safari and am used to it so do not want to change to Firefox, and 1Password is indispensable (542 passwords at last count). My work around at the moment is to turn off the 1Password extension when using the web to speed things up and only turning it back on when I want to login to something (which is about 5 or 6 times a day).

I have restarted my computer several times since this first started happening about 4 weeks ago and reset the router twice.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CaptainSlocum,

Thanks for clarifying that the problem is with opening the Safari app! That's rather unusual, and I don't know why the 1Password extension would cause that. It sounds like you've already tried some good troubleshooting for this, so at this point I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• CaptainSlocum
    CaptainSlocum
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Drew. I am away until Monday now but I will send in the diagnostic report as soon as I am back. Thank you for your prompt attention.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @CaptainSlocum, that sounds like a plan. We'll be glad to take a look at the Diagnostics Report whenever you're able to send it. Til then, enjoy your weekend! :+1:

• CaptainSlocum
    CaptainSlocum
    Community Member
    Options

Since the above post I have been corresponding by email over this with AgileBits support and they suggested I try downloading the Safari technical preview app. That cured the problem. As the technical preview app syncs all my Bookmarks etc etc both ways, I shall be staying with that until Apple issues a Safari update. Thanks for all your help.

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2016
    Options

Glad to hear it's working. If you have any trouble in the future, please let us know.

Kevin
    ref: KLP-24421-558

This discussion has been closed.