After using 1PW for years, have just signed up for Families and need to align master passwords

Options
phil_pifer
phil_pifer
Community Member

The Master PW I set for my Family Account is different than the one I previously used for my 1Password apps on my devices. It is also more secure. How do I properly reset my Master PWs on my devices to match the Master PW I set for my Family Account so I don't have different PWs? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3 Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:After using 1PW for years, have just signed up for Families and need to align master passwords

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @phil_pifer,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. What I would recommend is moving your data onto the 1Password Families service, if you haven't already:

How to migrate to a family or team

Once you've done so you can follow the instructions for starting over. When you do so you can sign into your 1Password Families account and from then on you'll be able to unlock the app(s) using your 1Password Families Master Password.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• phil_pifer
    phil_pifer
    Community Member
    Options

So I will migrate ALL my current data into my Families Account? Then, where are the instructions for
    "starting over"? Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phil_pifer,

Sorry for the confusion. You won't need to start over. Just open and unlock 1Password. Choose Preferences > Advanced. Then disable the option to "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". That will remove your Primary vault (so be sure there is nothing in it that you need), and you will use your 1Password account Master Password to unlock the app from then on.

This discussion has been closed.