Import the Demo Vault into a new personal vault in Families

Options
jtaitt
jtaitt
Community Member

Is it possible to create a new personal vault in Families 6.3 and then Import a copy of the Demo vault which has been exported in the 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif) ?

For me it was nice to have to look at different ways some of the not so often used categories where set up and used. It is not currently available in the new version of Families.

Just want to make sure it is OK to do this without messing up other existing vaults ?

When I am done with it, since it will be a personal vault can it be easily deleted just as any other new added personal vault ?

Lastly, does anyone have a .1.pif version of it that can be e-mailed as an attachment to me ? If not I can make a copy by installing my Desktop version on an external drive and export it there.

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @jtaitt! That's quite okay, but there's a simpler way of doing it. When 1Password is open, choose 1Password > New Demo Vault from the menu bar. You can move the contents of the vault to your family account, too, by following this guide:

How to migrate to a family or team

Hope that helps! :)

• jtaitt
    jtaitt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi penderworth,

Thanks for the reply. If you remember you deleted my old families account and I started clean with a fresh install of 1Password for Families 6.3. The option of installing the Demo vault is not available as a menu option in 6.3. For some reason it was removed, Unless i'm missing something..

Jim

• jtaitt
    jtaitt
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I made a copy by installing my Desktop version on an external drive and export it there. I now have all 45 Demo items in a separate personal vault. There are some good examples there to setup different kinds of categories. Would like to see more examples newer categories not done.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jtaitt if you go to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts, is the checkbox marked? If not that would explain why the option to create a Demo vault wasn't shown. (Note that this will also create a Primary vault if it's enabled for the first time.) If you want to see how other items work, you can create them in the Demo vault manually, which will let you tinker with the different categories without having to clutter up the vaults you're actually using with 1Password Families :)

• jtaitt
    jtaitt
    Community Member
    Options

Yes the checkbox was unmarked. I have already created a Demo.1pif of a bootable cloned copy on a backup drive and then imported it. I worked great without having to deal with a Primary vault. Although I assume not the Primary vault can mow be deleted in 6.3?

Thanks though for the followup. Each little tidbit I get from you guys helps me understand how the new versions work.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Although I assume not the Primary vault can mow be deleted in 6.3?

Yep. Check the box I mentioned earlier and a Primary vault is created. Uncheck that same box and it's deleted. Easy-peezy.

Thanks though for the followup. Each little tidbit I get from you guys helps me understand how the new versions work.

Our pleasure! :)

This discussion has been closed.