iOS Touch ID bug?

Options
Sinister
Sinister
Community Member

If I leave 1password on iOS open, because O am copying a password to a public computer, it obviously times out after a while. That's good. But if I don't log back in and instead press cancel or exit the app, it requires my password to access it the next time, instead of allowing me to use Touch ID.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sinister,

Sorry to hear you're having a bit of difficulty with Touch ID in 1Password!

If I understand what you're saying, you leave 1Password open on your iOS device and it eventually locks itself. At that point, it prompts you for Touch ID to unlock it again. But if you tap Cancel, it asks for your master password instead. Is that right?

If so, do you see a fingerprint icon under the master password field? If you do, then this is correct behavior, as tapping Cancel should cancel out of the Touch ID option and ask for your master password, but you can tap the fingerprint icon to get back to the Touch ID prompt.

I hope this helps, but if I misunderstood or if you don't see the fingerprint icon after cancelling the Touch ID prompt, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• bbebop
    bbebop
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this problem. Touch ID has been working until today. The only change is my iPhone was updated to iOS 9.3.2 overnight.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sinister,

Could you please let us know which version of 1Password for iOS you’re currently using? You can find the version information on the Settings screen, just below the ‘Recommend 1Password’ option.

Hi @bbebop,

Knowing your version information could really help us here, as we’ve been making some changes and refinements to 1Password in recent versions. Please look on the Settings screen below the ‘Recommend 1Password’ option to see which version you’re currently using.

I’d also like you to check in Settings > Advanced > Security. What option is selected there?

You mention that your iPhone updated to iOS 9.3.2 last night. Because updating requires a restart, you may be prompted for your Master Password when you next open 1Password, depending on your security settings.

• bbebop
    bbebop
    Community Member
    Options

As it turns out, Touch ID wasn't working with other non-Apple apps. Started working after a swift kick off my (re)boot.

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bbebop,

I’m glad to hear that rebooting got you back up and running, thanks so much for letting us know you’re all sorted!

We’re here if you have any other questions or concerns.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sinister,

Thanks for confirming! With this version, you should have the option to display Touch ID, even if you cancel out of the Touch ID pop-up.

Unfortunately, I’m having difficulty reproducing what you’re seeing. Here’s how I tested:

• Set 1Password to lock after 1 minute of inactivity.
    • Left the app open and on screen.
    • 1Password locked as expected after 1 minute and the Touch ID prompt came up.
    • I tapped ‘Cancel’ to dismiss the pop-up.
    • 1Password's lock screen displays the Master Password field, and a Touch ID button below.
    • I used the fast app switcher to move to another app.
    • When I moved back to 1Password, the Touch ID button was still present below the Master Password pane.

I think I’m following the same steps as you, but if I’m missing something, please let me know. I’d also like you to take a peek in Settings > Advanced > Security. What is ‘Require Master Password’ set to?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sinister,

Let’s take a closer look at your system to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sinister,

Thanks for following up! Hopefully a Diagnostics Report will give us a bit more insight into what’s happening here.

• AlphaHiker
    AlphaHiker
    Community Member
    Options

I have a problem with Touch ID. But I'm unsure of what happened at the time. My touch ID simply does not work ever. It stopped showing up as an option about three-four weeks ago. Any idea how I can restore it? I've tried turning it of in 1Password for a few days and tried it again. Still didn't work. Ideas? Please help!! So tried of typing in the master code.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AlphaHiker,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with Touch ID. The first thing we want to do is check to ensure that Touch ID is enabled in 1Password. Please look in 1Password’s Settings > Security. What are your settings there?

Just to confirm - Touch ID is working to unlock your device and for other apps, correct?

Hi @Sinister,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: JCD-81434-236

• budkoch
    budkoch
    Community Member
    Options

Similar to alpha hiker, the 1password Touch ID feature stopped working properly a few weeks ago. When I leave the app, even for a few minutes, it requests the master password when I return. I have the settings properly set, in fact I haven't changed them for months and the app used to use Touch ID all the time. And what's really strange is that Touch ID for 1password works fine on my iPad. I've compared the settings and they're the same. My master password is very long and a pita to type on my iPhone 6s. Please help. Thanks

iPhone and iPad 1password version 6.4.1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @budkoch,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this. You mention checking your Security Settings, and that’s a great place to start. I’d also like you to take a look in Settings > Advanced > Security. What is the ‘Request Master Password’ setting set to?

• budkoch
    budkoch
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Never.

And by the way, this happens whether I terminate the app or leave it running in background. Also tried rebooting the phone

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister

I looked at your diagnostics report and regarding this one:

The second scenario, home button to exit without pressing cancel, then going back on, consistently causes issues for me. Even without copying anything before it happens.

Sometimes pressing the home button once resets the touch id/Master password requirement, and pressing a second time exits the app, which has then requires master password when going back in.

Other times pressing the home button cancels -out the touch id and password requirement (app unlocks by itself) and stays in the app or

sometimes pressing the home button exits the app, and when I go back in, touch I'd not password are required (app unlocks by itself).

This is happening due to a Touch ID error. When we encounter errors we cannot properly handle we immediately fall back to the Master Password and in doing so that clears the obfuscated master password from the system keychain, this requires you to enter your master password to unlock again.

I don't think we can "fix" this in any way since we're getting errors from Touch ID and when we do we should err on the side of caution. Imagine a scenario where someone is attempting to access your 1Password data and they're trying to trick Touch ID. If we ignored errors like this it would give them more opportunity to access your data, if we don't ignore it and treat it as an error like we are now we're potentially preventing further attacks using Touch ID. This is a hypothetical situation, not a description of what is happening currently, but a simple explanation for why we're doing what we're doing.

Of course, when it's not an attack and is simply due to normal use it is potentially annoying, but it's part of that whole security vs convenience trade off that has to be balanced. I don't think we'll be changing this since it's actually a potential security risk if we do change it.

The first issue you presented:

But if I don't log back in and instead press cancel or exit the app, it requires my password to access it the next time, instead of allowing me to use Touch ID.

If you tap cancel it puts 1Password into a "Master Password + Quick Unlock" mode. Where quick unlock is pin or Touch ID. It displays as a Master Password entry window with a circular "Finger print" icon. Tapping this icon allows you to use Touch ID again. This setting persists across launches, so if you:

1. Goto 1Password
    2. Are prompted for Touch ID
    3. Tap Cancel
    4. Leave 1Password
    5. Come back to 1Password
    6. You will be asked for your Master Password and should see the circular button with the "finger print" icon on it. Tapping this gets you back to Touch ID.

If this is what you're seeing, that is normal. The "cancel" state persists, it's not a one time cancel.

Let me know if that helps clear things up for you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @budkoch,

Thanks for confirming those details. Let’s take a closer look at your system to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• budkoch
    budkoch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for trying to help. FYI I just tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but I have the same problem. In fact now it doesn't ever ask for my Touch ID

your support ID is [#IMY-12192-321].

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For those following along at home. I've reviewed @budkoch's report and he was encountering another Touch ID error, different from what Sinister was seeing and removing finger prints in (Settings > Touch ID & Passcode), restarting the device, and re-adding the finger prints stopped that error from occurring and he's back in business.

While this is rare, it does happen so I am mentioning it here as a possible troubleshooting step that others could try if they read this later.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister

You'll have to be more specific about which of the two issues you're talking about when you mention details. I can't interpret which is which without some kind of indicator from you. :) They're not related issues and therefore talking about one doesn't mean I'm talking about the other.

The second issue, the one where I said there is an error, we don't display that error to you. You will not get a prompt for the error, but we log that error to the logs and it is present in the diagnostics report. For your viewing enjoyment:

Thu Jun 2 12:40:56 2016| 641004 [ApplicationStateActive][LOCKSERVICE:(Secondary Thread 0x13059d7a0):] E promptForTouchID | Touch ID unexpected error Error Domain=com.apple.LocalAuthentication Code=-4 "UI canceled by system." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=UI canceled by system.}

When any Touch ID error is encountered that we cannot handle we will immediately go from Quick Unlock to requiring the Master Password. Again, I can duplicate the second error by simply tapping the home button several times while the Touch ID prompt is visible (one time it took 2 tries, another time it took 20+).

This is an error directly from iOS: com.apple.LocalAuthentication is the error domain, code -4 is the error code. "UI Canceled by system" is the localized English error text.

Basically, Touch ID encountered an error and closed the UI for Touch ID on you. Our response is to immediately lock the system and prevent using Touch ID. We won't be changing this for the previous reasons outlined.

For the cancel button issue, you should see the finger print icon, like Megan posted above. If you are not seeing this, then that's worth investigating.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister

Seems I missed this bit at the end of your last message:

So in summary, sometimes it unlocks itself asking for no authentication at all and other times asks for a master password for no reason).

For the no authentication part, you likely have your finger, which is enrolled in Touch ID, on the home button when this happens. We have had other users report the same thing and depending on which phone/device you are using this can mean Touch ID registers the valid finger print before the Touch ID prompt is visible. If you don't put your finger on the home button, odds are you will not have this happen.

For the master password one, my description above is accurate and hopefully explains things sufficiently.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Again, my approach to this is on a sliding scale of security vs convenience. Yes, allowing Touch ID again would be convenient, but at what cost? We have users who trust 1Password with very very sensitive data. Usually people aren't too concerned about it while it's in their hands, but the worry level tends to rise dramatically when someone loses a phone or device with their data on it. Part of what we have to do is protect the user's data even when that data is not in their possession and to do so we have to be vigilant. This error COULD occur while someone was tampering with Touch ID. It is best to use caution and protect user data in this case. And the best way to protect that data is to temporarily disable Touch ID until the user unlocks with the Master Password.

You're going to have a very hard time convincing me otherwise because you're trying to argue to lessen security and not protect user data as well. Our job is to protect user data and still make it convenient, but making it too convenient can mean security is lessened.

I'm afraid this one is very low on the priority at this point and as I suggested, very unlikely to change. It's perhaps something we can review but I am making absolutely no promises that this changes and if it does it could be years down the road. Combined with the fact that the only way to recreate this problem is to tap the home button while the Touch ID prompt is up, it's also very easy to work around by simply not tapping the home button and using the Cancel button.

As for the other two issues, can you please give me full steps to recreate the problem?

I was unable to recreate any of those scenarios that you describe. If you can give me step by step instructions that will recreate the problem consistently I can look into it and give you more details.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister

I'm going to try this another way, hopefully it helps explain things:

The second scenario, home button to exit without pressing cancel, then going back on, consistently causes issues for me. Even without copying anything before it happens.

Sometimes pressing the home button once resets the touch id/Master password requirement, and pressing a second time exits the app, which has then requires master password when going back in.

We've established that this is because Touch ID is throwing an error (we're not showing it to you, but any errors in Touch ID are going to do the above). And to the best of my understanding of what you said, the two lines above are about the same problem.

Other times pressing the home button cancels -out the touch id and password requirement (app unlocks by itself) and stays in the app or

When you are pressing the home button, are you using a finger that is registered for Touch ID?

sometimes pressing the home button exits the app, and when I go back in, touch I'd not password are required (app unlocks by itself).

How long after do you enter the app after you left it in this scenario?

Do you have any fingers on the home button when you do this? If you do, is that finger registered for Touch ID?

This discussion has been closed.