More communication from windows team?

Options

Let me start off this by saying that I strongly appreciate the people that just patrol the forums and answer questions wherever they are knowledgeable. This is really awesome, and very helpful to a lot of people.

That being said, it feels like the Windows team is a lot more quiet about development than the other 1password teams. The mac and iPhone blogs are consistently updated about once a month, while Windows hasn't had a post about development (not including the 1password 6 update) for over a year. This is the same with the newsletter that is occasionally sent out. There is almost always some new feature that the newsletter is talking about for android, iphone, and mac in the newsletter, but much more rare for windows.

Also, a lot of responses to fixes and feature requests are along the lines of "This will get done, sometime in the future, can't put a date on it yet". I totally understand that you don't want to lock down release dates, because users will get angry if things fall behind. But it would really be nice to have some sort of communication on when some features might be released every once in a while.

It would also be nice to see more incremental updates going forward. I'm guessing there haven't been updates for 1password 4 because of the 1password 6 release, but considering that apparently 1password 6 won't be released for regular users until after August, it would be really nice to see some occasional bug fix updates.

I know you are all under a lot of stress right now with developing 1password 6, but it would be highly appreciated if there could be more communication about what is going on behind the scenes. But thanks for all your hard work!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jhands
    jhands
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to point out that 1Password 6 for Windows appears to be a ground-up rewrite which would explain the lack of consistent new features.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhands, @burn123: You're both right, and I think it's okay to admit that the two are related! We're relieved to be able to have it out there for everyone finally, but we still have a lot of development and testing to do — and feedback to accept!

Now, to be clear, while we have Mac and iOS blog posts more frequently, they definitely don't include pre-announced features. So that isn't something we'll be doing...but it never hurts to ask! ;)

However, while we're doing as many incremental updates as humanly possible currently (multiple betas on some days), we'd really like to do more blog posts once things settle down and we can make something nice that isn't obsolete before it's even published.

We're having a ton of fun working on this to get it ready for everyone, but there are definitely benefits we're looking forward to once 1Password 6 matures. :)

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your response! The pre-announced thing makes sense; I wasn't expecting to get much there. Is there any chance of getting some updates for 1password 4, considering it will be at least 3 months until we get 1password 6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If there are issues that need to be addressed there it's possible, but we're really focused on getting the new app ready for all of us on Windows, and there are only so many hours in a day. ;)

• MikeT
    Options

There will be a few more updates coming for 1Password 4, we have a beta update out already and we need to add a few more fixes before we can ship that beta as the next stable update. We want to improve compatibility with more browsers and add some fixes related to the extensions.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Where is this beta update? Are you talking about 605?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @burn123,

Yep. It's been a while since it was shipped but we have issues with 605 that we're working on resolving.

This discussion has been closed.