Blank screen when wanted to start using DropBox

Options
oksoftware
oksoftware
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When I start the application for the first time, I get two options: "Sign in to your 1Password Account" or "Use without 1Password Account". When I select the second option and then choose to use a DropBox or an OneDrive storage, I get just a blank screen. When I minimize and restore the windows, the screen becomes black. The content will appears in 20 - 30 seconds, but until I found this I thought it doesn't work at all. There should be some loading indicator, or the response should be improved.
Also when upgrading from 1Password 4, it should use existing vaults' information.
When I was successfully connected to my DropBox Account, I had to select my vault and to enter my Master Password. The size of the password field is very narrow and inappropriate to other content on screen (i.e. big title "1Password", big buttons and tiny Vault password and a very narrow password input field).
Also the first synchronization is pretty time consuming and there is no progress indicator. For first few minutes I thought the application doesn't work. I only saw an empty space where should be almost 800 items. When the synchronization had finished, there was no update to see imported items unless I switch the category.
What I really miss are my folders. I spent not small amount of my time giving to all of my items some logical order, but now I can see just categories. It is great I can see 600 login items, but without folders it will be a hassle to quickly find a required information.
What I welcome is the option to easily switch between vault with a necessity to only remember one Master Password.

1Password Version: 2016.6.300d
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro Czech
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Thanks @oksoftware for bringing this up, there is an update now with progress bars added to OneDrive, Dropbox and 1Password Account (Teams or Families) screens.

We will continue working on UI and address size issues in Open Vault page soon.

The folder vault sync is in process of an upgrade, it's too slow at the moment and it really lacks progress indication too. This will be addressed too.

Folders are not yet here, they are not lost, but there is no UI for them so far. I'll bring it up in our internal discussions with design team.

Thanks for your feedback, please let us know if there is anything else we can do better! :)

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi, there is one feature I really miss in 1Password. It is a concept of templates.
    The idea is following:
    I have carefully fine-tuned an item, prepared all sections, setted up all fields and now I want to re-use it many times (not right now, but in a future). A wonderful feature of SPB Wallet (similar kind of product), which I was used to use in past, was an ability to create such item as a template, to assign a name and an icon to it, and than I could use it for creating other new items. (I just think much more friendly would be an ability to create a template from existing item instead of direct creating of a template.)
    There was also an option to create a custom graphical arrangement of items (i.e. credit cards, ID cards, driving licences etc.) including a background picture in SPB Wallet. But I fully understand it was just a waste of resources and it brought fresh look only, especially on mobile phone (and it definitely looked cool) . But there was also an ability to share those templates across users, which was used by many companies and service providers. They simply created a custom designed cards for their customers, uploaded them to SPB servers and their customers were happy they can just fill-in the items and everything was prepared for them. Thanks to the included graphic the items were easily recognizable at the first sight.
    Please, think about the template concept in your team. I believe such feature can attract 1Password to other new users and the implementation could be pretty easy. (At least when I imagine how I would program this kind of application, however my programming habits are probably different than of your team)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @oksoftware,

Custom categories has been a dream feature for us for many years and we've been making changes toward that goal, such as adding custom section/fields to start with, adding the ability for Families/Teams to serve template data and so on.

We do want to support this in the future but we don't have a timeframe on when that might happen.

For now, what you can do on 1Password.com is create a semi-template using the Secure Note category, add the custom sections/fields you want to keep, add a tag to organize it, and give it a title to identify this as a template item. In the future, when you want a new item, duplicate this template item.

Once custom icons are supported, you can then add it to the template items as well, so new duplicates get it too.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT! Thank you for your reply. It's exactly the same way how I use the "semi-templates" now. I just wanted to give you a hint how to easily make a highly visible improvement to your application. However I fully understand the Teams and Families are your key targets now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Visibility isn't the problem; it's everything behind the scenes that's the real work when it comes to customizability. ;)

But as Mike mentioned, it's something we continue to work toward. Hopefully custom category types will be within reach sometime in the future! :)

This discussion has been closed.