I have 1Password 6.3 and it has stopped syncing with Dropbox.

Options
mcgee
mcgee
Community Member

1Password 6.3 has stopped syncing with Dropbox. I moved and unrelated document to Dropbox and it synced with my MacBook Air.
So I assume it is a 1Password issue.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password not syncing with Dropbox on an iMac

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@McGee: Sorry for the trouble! Go into 1Password Preferences > Sync. Is it disabled (set it to None)? Please follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down the problem:

Dropbox troubleshooting

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• mcgee
    mcgee
    Community Member
    Options

Waste of time.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcgee I'm sorry you feel that way. In order to figure out what is causing this problem, though, it helps to run through some of those common errors outlined in the troubleshooting guide Brenty linked. If syncing via Dropbox is working again, please let us know. If it isn't and you would like it to be, please follow those steps and let us know what happens. Those are the best options available right now 8-)

• mcgee
    mcgee
    Community Member
    Options

I've used 1Password for probably 5 years. If I have a problem, the first thing I do is go to the Agile website and search for a solution.
    It's only after not finding a solution to the problem that I post a question to the board.
    This computer, until about 5 weeks ago, was not used as I was at a different location for the Winter. It very well might not have been syncing since it was turned on, but, I just noticed it as I had added credit cards to 1Password on this computer, but, just realized they had not synced to the 1Password on my MacBook Air. Hope this information helps.
    Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcgee,

Thanks for the additional information! We certainly don't want to waste your time (or ours) by having you go through troubleshooting steps you've already tried before contacting us, but there's really no way for us to know exactly what you've already done unless you tell us. So far, you've told us that Dropbox sync isn't working between your two Macs, and that a file you added to the Dropbox folder on one Mac synced to the other Mac. That's good, as it covers some of the steps from this knowledgebase article: If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox

That's the same link Brenty gave you, and there are quite a few other troubleshooting steps on that page aside from making sure Dropbox works in general. I don't know if you tried the other steps there or what the results were, so I apologize in advance if you've already tried some of my following steps. If Dropbox is working in general between your two Macs, but changes to 1Password don't sync from one to the other, please try this:

On the Mac which has all your latest 1Password data:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure it shows your Primary vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox
    • If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync preferences, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On the MacBook Air:

• Follow the exact same steps as above.
    • If Dropbox is already enabled in 1Password on the MacBook Air, compare the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox between both Macs.

If the problem is that one is pointing to a different sync file than the other, you'll need to disable the sync, then set it up again and choose the correct sync file.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

• mcgee
    mcgee
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I went through all the steps. I noticed that the sync window for the MacBook air and iMac are slightly different.

The screenshot showing flynn Dropbox 1password.agilekeychain is from the MacBook Air and
    the other is from the iMac.
    I don't know how significant this might be.
    Thanks

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for those screenshots, @mcgee! That is the problem exactly. In fact, few things could be more significant than each copy of 1Password syncing to a completely different file.

The question now is if you want to merge all the data in the separate .agilekeychain files. If so, you can do this:

IMPORTANT: Before you begin, in 1Password on each Mac, choose File > Backup to create a backup of your 1Password data. It's important to do this, and it is important to do it on both Macs.

1. On your MacBook Air, turn off Dropbox syncing in the Sync preferences as shown in your screenshot. (Select "none" from the "Sync Primary vault with" drop-down menu.)
    2. When prompted, choose the option to delete the data from Dropbox.
    3. Turn Dropbox syncing back on, and 1Password should detect the correct file:

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

That's the one inside the 1Password folder in Dropbox, and it's the one being used on your iMac. When you do that, all the data will be merged.

That should resolve everything, but please let us know how it goes. If you have any other trouble, I'm sure we can get it sorted out very quickly for you. At the very least, you can easily roll back to one or both of those backups you made, so you can't possibly be any worse off than you are now. :)

We'll make sure everything is working 100% for you.

• mcgee
    mcgee
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I did everything in order. However, I don't remember getting an "option to delete the data from Dropbox".
    Turned syncing back on and got the attached screenshot which clearly isn't the one I was supposed to get.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcgee,

Thanks again for the screenshot! It looks like 1Password created a brand new sync file instead of choosing the existing one. That's ok, and will just take a few steps to get things back on track:

On your MacBook Air:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    • Click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Change the sync from None back to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select the sync file in this location: ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain (then click Open)
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. :)

• mcgee
    mcgee
    Community Member
    Options

Step 5: I click the Choose button, but, where do I find " ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain"?
    When I click Choose I am sent to the Dropbox folder. I've attached a screenshot. Sorry I appear to be so dense!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcgee: Hey, don't sell yourself short! The only reason I can pick out what we're looking for in that list of files is that I've done this a few times. ;)

Above, I've illustrated your screenshot. The 1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox there (highlighted in red) is the one we want to get rid of eventually, so keep it in mind.

But you'll need to double-click the bluish 1Password folder (highlighted in green) to open it, and inside you'll find another 1Password.agilekeychain. Select that and then click "Open" in the lower right corner of the window. That will bring you to Drew's last step above:

Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Then you'll be using the same vault on both Macs. It may take Dropbox a bit to finish syncing the data on both. Once the Dropbox icon in the menubar at the top of the screen stops animating on both Macs, just verify that you have all of your data in 1Password on both and then we can get rid of the second vault to avoid further confusion:

1. Open Finder
    2. Press Shift Command G
    3. In the box that comes up, paste the following and click Go: ~/Dropbox/
    4. You'll see the same files seen in the screenshot. Now drag the 1Password.agilekeychain there (highlighted in red above, below the 1Password folder) to the Trash.

That's it! I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know how it turns out! :)

• mcgee
    mcgee
    Community Member
    Options

I did this: Select that and then click "Open" in the lower right corner of the window. That will bring you to Drew's last step above:

Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted). The "click Merge etc. didn't show up, but, what came up was the attached screen shot.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcgee,

I think you may have selected the 1Password folder. Instead, what you needed to do was select the 1Password.agilekeychain file which is inside that 1Password folder. In other words, it sounds like you may have skipped one of Brenty's steps:

But you'll need to double-click the bluish 1Password folder (highlighted in green) to open it, and inside you'll find another 1Password.agilekeychain. Select that and then click "Open" in the lower right corner of the window. That will bring you to Drew's last step above

When he said "Select that..." he was referring specifically to the 1Password.agilekeychain file (the one inside the 1Password folder). If you do that, you should see the Merge with Existing button. (Because you chose the folder and not the specific sync file, you instead saw the Create New button, which would have created yet another sync file, further confusing matters.)

If the window from your screenshot is still showing, please click Cancel.

Or if you clicked Create New, you'll need to change the sync setting from Dropbox to None, then click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.

Now you should be able to try these steps again (I've made them a bit more specific in case it helps):

1. Change the sync setting from None to Dropbox.
    2. Click the Choose button.
    3. Go to the Dropbox folder by clicking Dropbox in the left side of the window.
    4. Click once on the 1Password folder inside Dropbox.
    5. Click once on the 1Password.agilekeychain file inside the 1Password folder.
    6. Click Open.
    7. Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

I'm so sorry for all the confusion, but hopefully this helps. Let us know how it all goes! :)

• mcgee
    mcgee
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like I finally did it! Both are synced.
    Thanks so much to all of you! I know it had to be as frustrating to y'all as it was to me!
    Again, thank you all so much.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @macgee, I'm glad to hear that it's all synced and working as it should! On behalf of Drew_AG and everyone else, you're very welcome! We're always here and happy to help you any time you need us :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy to help! I'm sorry for the frustration, but I'm glad to hear that you're up-and-syncing. We're here for you if you need anything else! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.