Password revealed regardless of conceal setting [Fixed, more improvements coming]

Options
jhamer
jhamer
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

In 501d passwords are now revealed by default, and appears to ignore the "Conceal passwords" setting. This wasn't an issue with previous builds.

1Password Version: 2016.6.501d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10 b 14352
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

FYI - The reveal/conceal command is also ignored from the nice new dropdown for copy/reveal/large type. Thank you!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jhamer,

Thanks for writing in. I'm not seeing this issue. Does it happen in any vaults or just a few specific vaults?

I'm using 2016.6.501d on Windows 10 Insider build as well but can't reproduce your issue yet.

Could you restart your computer just in case and see if it works better? I had to reboot a lot on the latest Insider builds to resolve a lot of weird issues that others didn't see.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing it on two separate systems, albeit both running the same Windows 10 Insider build. Restarted both systems and both the global conceal setting and the reveal/conceal from the dropdown continue to be ignored.

You're right, I may be having issues with one of the systems. Even though I'm seeing the features and changes of 501d, the version shown from the settings menu is 2016.4.1806d. Programs and Features also showed 501d as the installed version. I uninstalled, re-downloaded, and reinstalled 501d but the version shown from within the desktop app is still inaccurate. I've installed almost every build as it's released, so maybe I need to clean everything out to get things back in sync? 501d has just not worked well for me thus far. :(

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jhamer,

That's weird. Can you open 1Password, unlock, and enter /log in the search field. It'll bring up the log window, can you scroll down to the very last two lines in the window and tell me if you see this:

1Password 2016.6.501d....
    #Launched at 6/5/2016...

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Very weird. I'm definitely seeing 501d running, but the log shows:

1Password 2016.4.1806d...
    Launched at 6/5/2016 10:24:35 AM...

I'm also seeing a Task Exception. Here's the first line. Can get you the whole log if necessary.

Task exception 0x80131500: System.AggregateException: A Task's exception(s) were not observed either by Waiting on the Task or accessing its Exception property. As a result, the unobserved exception was rethrown by the finalizer thread. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\1password\cache\avatars\7K7rAlcqMQfnw2qb7yPFZfelKzY' because it is being used by another process.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, so I think the version issue is because I had the desktop app "pinned" to my taskbar. At some point I think it started pointing to the wrong place. Maybe the path or the executable name changed? I removed the pin and launched from the start menu and I'm showing the correct version now. Launching from start also resolved the task exception listed above. There must be remnants of previous versions somewhere in the file system.

However, it does not change the conceal behavior. That issue still exists.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jhamer,

Yes, the ClickOnce installer would put a separate exe file for each update, so it can let you revert the update in case of a bad update. It only keeps up to 2 versions, not going back to 1806d though. I suspected pinning might prevent it from being deleted.

We'll keep an eye on this. The error you saw is an old error from 180d we've fixed already.

I would recommend uninstalling the 1Password program right now via Control Panel and reinstall it by opening this link in IE. Let me know if it works.

I am more concerned that it shows the same issue on two separate computers, so the old version isn't the reason for this since you only had that issue on one computer.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

I mentioned doing the uninstall and reinstall previously. I did it again using the link you provided, and also completely removed the database to start with fresh login to families. The same conceal problem exists.

If the field name is "password" then it is revealed with no way to conceal. If for whatever reason the field is named something other than password, i.e. jpassword, pwd, etc. then it shows properly concealed and the toggles work as expected. Social security numbers, credit card numbers, and cvv numbers also are showing revealed and usually don't.

I've created a custom group in some entries for security questions. I enter the question with a label of Q1, then the answer as A1 marked as a password. Those are also showing with no way to hide.

This problem does not exist with 2016.6.403u UWP build.

Trying to give you a better scope of the issue. Perhaps I'm the only one experiencing, but identical issues across two separate systems would be unusual. The data itself is the commonality.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I've found a consistent difference between entries that are ignoring conceal settings vs ones that do properly conceal. Comparing the JSON entries for the password field, entries that ignore conceal have a null value for "type". Entries that properly display have a type of "P". Also looking at the JSON of a brand new entry, the type is "P".

Does NOT conceal properly (notice the null value for "type": "",):
    { "id": "password", "value": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "type": "", "name": "password", "designation": "password" }

DOES conceal properly:
    { "value": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "id": "Password;opid=__1", "name": "Password", "type": "P", "designation": "password" }

Some of these entries were created in various versions of 1P years ago and have never had a display issue. No other version / platform of 1Password is tripped up with the null type value. The JSON values are identical whether pulling from the Mac client or desktop beta. Something changed starting in 501d that is overly sensitive regarding the type value, wouldn't you agree?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This is an issue we've dealt with before and fixed. I'm not how/why it's back but I'll take a close look at it. Thanks for pointing this out @jhamer

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

That's good news @mohamedosman, thanks for the update. Not good news that the problem has recurred, but good that it's identified. You know what I mean. :p

• Cheers, @jhamer!

Thank you so much for your feedback. Please keep it coming.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

Confirmed fixed in 163d

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @jhamer,

Thanks, it's mainly fixed for the Logins but we're working on other templates, they should be fixed soon.

This discussion has been closed.