Multiple copies warning

manfrommars
manfrommars
Community Member

Yes, it's time to eliminate the multiple copies warning whenever I update 1PW. I run 2 partitions on my drive, some software is the same on both drives, and 1PW is the only software I have encountered that gives me a warning about it. It's also creates warnings when a copy of the software exists on a TM backup. I'm sure it's an easy fix. Many thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @manfrommars,

Thanks for taking the time to ask us about this! We started showing that warning message in 1Password 6 for Mac because some people run into a problem trying to open the 1Password app if OS X (launchd) finds another copy of it somewhere (including on connected drives). Basically, we trigger an event that causes launchd to open 1Password mini, and launchd opens the wrong one, even if we try to specify the right one. This is something that must be fixed by Apple on the OS level, so it's something we can't control, except to warn users in advance that they should have only 1 copy of the 1Password app to make sure they don't run into the problem. (It doesn't affect many apps because not many apps are running two separate components at the same time.)

However, the problem is a bit random, so some customers don't experience it at all. That's why we included the Update Anyway button. It sounds like you haven't run into a problem launching the main 1Password app, which is great! Sorry if our warning caused a bit of confusion for you. If you don't normally run into this problem, you're welcome to simply click the Update Anyway button to continue.

In case you're interested, you can read a bit more about the problem here: If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions or need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.