Dropbox Sync with Existing on Legacy v4

Options
optimum
optimum
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

I'm setting up 1Password on a 2008 iMac running Mountain Lion. I was previously running El Capitan, but recommended to run Mountain Lion by an Apple Genius. He stated that since Mavericks the OS should have at least 8GB of RAM to run efficiently, while my iMac only has 4GB. So because I'm on Mountain Lion, I cannot run the latest v6 of 1Password, so I've installed the legacy v4.4.3. The issue I'm having is Dropbox sync is a bit tricky for me to figure out, and all the support articles I've found seem to be written for the latest v6.

Basically I used the initial setup with Dropbox sync, and I think 1Password automatically found an old settings file at a root folder of my Dropbox.
My goal is to sync with 2 vault files in a folder titled "vaults". When I go into Preferences > Sync I clicked on "Change Syncing". I disabled Sync, without deleting data from my Dropbox. That data still remains in my 1Password app, and when I try to sync with one of my vaults, I'm getting the option to "merge data". I'm reluctant to do this for fear of duplicate items. I don't want to merge, I simply want to revert to nothing and sync to existing. I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled and the settings data is still linked.

An article for "starting over" states go to: Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Start Over. These menu items are not available in v4. I'm also wondering whether using v4 and v6 on different Macs with different operating systems would somehow introduce sync problems. I could find info about this, and I'm pretty surprised that they're compatible. Would appreciate any information available.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.8.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @hanguolaohu ,

1Password 4 and 6 should be able to sync through Dropbox. The sync file format agilekeychain has not changed. Uninstalling the app only uninstalls the app, and not your data. Here's what I recommend:

Do this only if your Mac running 1Password 6 has all of your data. If it does not, please let me know.

First, disable sync:
    1. Turn Sync off in the 1Password Sync Preferences if you haven’t already.
    2. Go to the Tools menu in the Help menu and turn off Enable opvault for Dropbox and Folder Sync if it is checked.
    3. Go to your Dropbox folder and trash all files that end with ".agilekeychain" these are sync files.

Now to start over on the older Mac
    4. On the older Mac running 1Password 4, Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    5. Still on the older Mac, trash the Data folder. If you purchased 1Password 4 from the Mac app store, it will be located in~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/. If you purchased directly from AgileBits, it will be located here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

Set up sync again:
    6. Go back to the newer Mac running 1Password 6 and set up Dropbox sync
    7. After it has been set up and synced at least once, go back to the older Mac and launch 1Password 4. It should find the data on Dropbox, and then pull it down.

If you have any trouble with this, let us know where you got stuck, and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin

Thanks for your prompt response. I've encountered a discrepancy in what I'm seeing on my end with 1Password v4.4.3...

You wrote in #2: "turn off Enable opvault for Dropbox and Folder Sync if it is checked."

Under Menu bar > Help > Tools: I see "Remove Redundant Generated Password" and "Optimize Database"

Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hanguolaohu,

You won’t see this option in 1Password 4. To ensure that you’re using the Agile Keychain format as Kevin suggested, you’ll need to make that change on the newer computer running 1Password 6.

Let’s take a step back here. I’ve been re-reading your initial post, and it’s not immediately clear to me what we’re working to achieve:

• You mention syncing between 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 - do you have multiple computers that you need to sync to the same file?
    • Or are we simply working with the 2008 iMac right now?

Once we have a clear idea of your goals we’ll be better able to give you precise instructions to get everything sorted out.

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

OK understood.

Yes, I have 2 Macs that I would like to access the same 1Password database:

2013 MacBook Pro Retina running OS 10.11.5
    2008 iMac running OS 10.8.5

Thanks!
    hanguolaohu

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hanguolaohu,

Thanks for clarifying! You should be able to follow Kevin’s instructions and get everything set up. Please note the ‘First, disable sync:’ steps should be done on the 2013 computer running 1Password 6.

This discussion has been closed.