No favicon or Rich icon after restore from backup [confirmed issue with 1Password 4]

Options
Luds
Luds
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

Hello,
Can you please pinpoint how to re-create the favicon or Rich icons .

I had a disaster and had to restore the database from a Backup. Annoyingly there are no icons to be found, (not one out of 358 login items). I have verified that in preferences of 1Password there is a check mark for "Use rich icons".

I have been using this great application for a few years (LOVE it), and never had this issue before. I have no idea what to do next.

I just checked the other machines :
1. On Windows 1Password picked the new database and is using the icons that were cached in c:\user\AppData\Roaming\AgileBits\ ;
2. On my iPhone : same thing 1Password picked the new database and the icons are repopulated
3. Sames goes for the iPad ;
4. It is the Mac that has no icons at all.

I donc know what to do but sooo need those icons are they are crucial to quickly identify logins, and this totally breaks my workflow.

Thanks a million for your help...

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS x 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:favicon

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Luds,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with rich icons in 1Password on your Mac!

As long as that option is enabled (you can double-check to make sure in the View menu), it should download the rich icons from our image server. If you turn off the rich icons setting and then re-enable it, does it make a difference?

If that doesn't help, do you happen to use any firewall software or an app like Little Snitch? 1Password needs to connect to an external server to download rich icons, so it's possible something like that could block the connection. You could try temporarily disabling the firewall or other software that might be blocking it, then turn rich icons off and on again in 1Password.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hello Drew,
    Thank you for your help.

I confirm going to the view menu I have Rich icons enabled. Also i confirm I do NOT have installed any antivirus or Little snitch or have any firewall installed.

Since I had that disaster I was referring to (now all fixed and all good) I uninstalled 1Password, and deleted the preferences as well as the Application support folder for 1Password 4. Then I rebooted to have a fresh start and used a backup made 4th of June. It is just then I have noticed that the licence which is in the above mentioned folder was deleted too, and by coincidence while wanting to click on 1Password > preferences I did 1Password > Licence. The licence went with the folder when i deleted it, and was blanked. I have just re-added it. However since the message I had in that windows said "you need to enter or purchase a licence to have access to all features... etc...", could it be the reason why doing the restore from backup it did not allow for 1Password to access your servers and load the Rich icon? Just a question.

What do you think we should do next as I have unchecked the "enable rich icons" then rebooted, launched 1Pass, then re-enabled "Rich icons". Still nothing, no icon at all.

What else can we do?

• dburgesser
    dburgesser
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

I am having a similar problem to Luds'. In the past couple of days most (though not all) of my Rich Icons have disappeared. I have tried Disabling Rich Icons, rebooting, Enabling Rich Icons, and rebooting again. I also tried restoring from 1Password backup files. All with no success in getting the Rich Icons restored. I do not have any firewall software. The only thing that I have done recently that is different is I ran BitDefender's Virus Scanner, but I wouldn't think that should have changed the ability of 1Password from displaying the Rich Icons.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Luds,

Thanks for the additional information! It's a very strange problem, but we'll figure this out one way or another. First, to answer your question:

The licence went with the folder when i deleted it, and was blanked. I have just re-added it. However since the message I had in that windows said "you need to enter or purchase a licence to have access to all features... etc...", could it be the reason why doing the restore from backup it did not allow for 1Password to access your servers and load the Rich icon?

No, rich icons should work even if the trial period has expired. But that's a good question, I'm glad you're thinking of different possibilities! :)

Can you please check something on your Mac:

• In the Finder, click the Go menu and select Go to Folder
    • Copy and paste (or type) the following line into the Go to the folder field: ~/Library/Caches/
    • Click the Go button
    • In the folder that opens, look for a folder named com.agilebits.ImageService
    • If you see that folder, open it

Are you able to find the com.agilebits.ImageService folder? Normally, when rich icons are enabled in 1Password, that folder should have other folders inside that contain files related to rich icons. You don't need to do anything with those folders/files, I just wanted to have you check to make sure they are there as expected. If for some reason you're missing the com.agilebits.ImageService folder, or if that folder is empty, that might help us narrow down the cause of the problem. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dburgesser,

I'm sorry you're also running into this problem! Thanks for letting us know what you've tried.

Can you please take a look at my post right above this one and follow the steps to look for the com.agilebits.ImageService folder? If it exists, does it contain a bunch of folders/files? I'll do a bit of digging into this to see what else I can find, but in the meantime it will help if you can check on that and let us know. Thanks in advance! :)

• dburgesser
    dburgesser
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Yes, the com.agilebits.ImageService folder is there, but there are no sub-folders or files in it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @dburgesser! At this point, to figure out what's going wrong, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hello Drew,
    I have checked and indeed the com.agilebits.ImageService folder exists in ~/Library/Caches/ but it is empty,

There is nothing in it, only the folder itself.

I have sent you the report as requested. (automated reply from our BitBot assistant gave me a Support ID number support ID is [#YBH-31612-767].

Thank you for your help.

• dburgesser
    dburgesser
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

I have sent you the report from my system. The automated reply from our BitBot assistant gave me a Support ID number support ID is [#WPH-16276-533].

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Luds and @dburgesser,

Thanks for sending those reports! I made sure we've received them, and I'll update the email threads with details from this discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to each of you as soon as possible, and we'll keep the conversations going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Hopefully we'll have this figured out very soon! :)

ref: YBH-31612-767
    ref: WPH-16276-533

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew,
    Would you please be able to confirm what version of OS X you are using and the version of 1Password please (I am using Mavericks 10.9.5 and 1Password 4.4.3).

Thanks for that, I am trying to understand if we have similarities in our setup.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Luds,

Sure thing! My Mac is running OS X El Capitan (10.11.5). I'm currently using 1Password 6.5.BETA-4, and I also have the latest version from the Mac App Store (6.3.1).

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew, I am so very sorry and embarrassed, I suppose if you are from the 1Password team you have the latest updates.
    I meant to ask @dburgesser what his/her setup is to compare with mine...

Would you please be able to confirm what version of OS X you are using and the version of 1Password please (on my side: Mavericks 10.9.5 and 1Password 4.4.3).

Thanks for that, I am trying to understand if we have similarities in our setup, since we have similar issues.

• dburgesser
    dburgesser
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Luds,

I am running the same versions as you are, OSX 10.9.5 and 1Password 4.4.3. An interesting fact is that I have a second system running the same versions and the Rich Icons still show up.

• danecara
    danecara
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Running 1Password 4.4.3 on one of my Macs (Mavericks) and rich icons are displaying oddly when they used to work fine. For example, in my favorites only 2 or 3 (Chase, Gmail..) have a rich icon while Amazon, Facebook, DropBox, Twitter and many many more no longer do. Then I use preferences to uncheck "Use rich icons" and nothing changes. The Chase, Gmail... still have rich icons. Many of my software licenses have correct rich icons and yet those disappear when I uncheck "Use rich icons." Now when I look at it, no logins have rich icons. Very weird. Help appreciated.

1Password Version: 1Password 4 Version 4.4.3 (443000) Agile Web Store
    Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
    OS Version: 10.9.5
    Sync Type: DropBox
    Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:Rich icons

• danecara
    danecara
    Community Member
    Options

Login rich icons do not show at all, though they used to and do on another mac of mine running same version OS and 1pswd. Credit card and software licence rich icons do appear.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.9.5
    Sync Type: Drop Box

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danecara,

I've merged your posts with another thread about the issue you've reported. After some testing we found that Rich Icons aren't working properly with 1Password 4 anymore. A bug report was opened and we're still looking into what might have changed on our image server to cause this problem. I'll add the information to it that you've posted; thanks for the extra details.

We've already followed up with @Luds and @dburgesser through email after they sent Diagnostics Reports and we'll let you know if we'd like one from you, too.

We're really sorry for any trouble and inconvenience this has caused everyone. Hopefully we can isolate what broke Rich Icon support for 1Password 4 and be able to restore that service again soon.

• danecara
    danecara
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk, it seems like a minor thing, so I appreciate this. You actually get quite used to them, especially with 100s of logins, licences... I'll let you know Monday if my other Mavericks Mac has this issue.

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @dburgesser,

Thank you so much for confirming what system you are using. So we both are on OSX 10.9.5 and 1Password 4.4.3

Like you I have a second system/MacBook running the same versions and the Rich Icons still show up, and I believe that is because the Rich icons are cached. They are located in the following folder : com.agilebits.ImageService (which is located in /Users/yourname/Library/Caches/com.agilebits.ImageService).

As long as this folder is kept untouched, it should still work on the other machines (and the mistake of de-clicking/unticking "Use rich icons" in the preferences of 1Password is NOT made - as soon as this is unticked the folder is deleted (and time machine does not backup this folder) so careful !!!).

I am still distressed with this as it really breaks my workflow (my work involves constant logins to lots of websites on a daily basis). I really hope that although the 1Password team is busy on developing version 6, they still find the time to fix the problem and issue an update for us on version 4.4.3).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Luds,

I'm very sorry the problem with rich icons is causing an issue with your workflow!

Although we're not yet sure what caused to this to happen, one possibility is that something may have changed on our image server, causing it to block 1Password 4. As sjk said in his previous reply:

After some testing we found that Rich Icons aren't working properly with 1Password 4 anymore. A bug report was opened and we're still looking into what might have changed on our image server to cause this problem.

And:

Hopefully we can isolate what broke Rich Icon support for 1Password 4 and be able to restore that service again soon.

If that theory is true and something on our image server is causing the problem, that likely means we can fix it from our end without needing to update the 1Password app. Keep in mind that it's just a theory at this point, since we don't know for sure what caused the problem, so I can't make any promises one way or another. But it's definitely something we're looking into and will hopefully be able to fix.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience! Thanks for your patience while our developers investigate this further. :)

ref: OPM-4189

• dreh0615
    dreh0615
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I had this problem, too. 1Password 4.4.3 on a 10.8.5 system. I believe what happened was I unchecked Show Rich icons, then they all went generic. When I re-checked, they remained generic.

Reading through this thread, I looked in the com.agilebits.ImageService folder and there did not exist a subfolder with files therein. I do have a backup, and when I restored the subfolder in com.agilebits.ImageService, the rich icons came back. This doesn't address the root of the problem, however.

Has Agilebits determined why this happens?

• dreh0615
    dreh0615
    Community Member
    Options

I'd also like to add, there are still many generic icons and on another Mac (10.11.5) with 1Password 6 (latest update) those same icons are NOT generic.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dreh0615,

Thanks for writing in to ask about this, and I'm sorry you're running into this issue with rich icons!

Has Agilebits determined why this happens?

Yes, we did: After making some changes in our image server for compatibility with 1Password 6, we discovered that inadvertently affected the compatibility with 1Password 4. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience!

I'm afraid we won't be able to update 1Password 4 to work correctly with the changes made to our image server as our developers are committed to newer versions at this point. However, if/when you update that Mac to OS X 10.10 or 10.11, you'll be able to see rich icons in 1Password 6 for Mac (which is a free upgrade from 1Password 4).

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you about that, but I hope it helps to explain what happened. If you need more help with 1Password, please let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

• lioness1955
    lioness1955
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

[AgileBits admin note: This comment was originally posted in Lost my Rich Icons in Sierra.]

I have the same problem, have tried your fixes.

But more important than the icons, my folders are gone. I can't see my secure notes, my credit cards, etc.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @lioness1955,

I'm sorry you're having these issues with missing content in 1Password.

But more important than the icons, my folders are gone. I can't see my secure notes, my credit cards, etc.

I see you've also posted about that in another discussion, where you also mentioned:

I am running 1Password 4.

The trouble with missing icons in 1Password 4 has been confirmed, and I moved your comment into this discussion about it.

Someone will be helping out with your remaining issues in the other discussion. Now that you're running Sierra your best bet would probably be to start with updating to 1Password 6 and see if it makes any difference. There's no charge for that update if you already have a license for 1Password 4 or purchased it from the Mac App Store. And it ought to bring back at least the rich icons and hopefully everything else that's gone missing in version 4.

This discussion has been closed.